IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

I think Tiger is too moody... Jack was the best... Tiger will get there... just not today.

Tiger will get there by default, but that still doesn't mean he could have been as successful under the same conditions Jack had to go through! Jack had to deal with taking down the Tiger Woods of that time, "Arnie's Army"!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I think Tiger will be the greatest I mean the guy just dominates and he is still young.

Keep it on the short grass.

I am sure Tiger is better due to better conditioning and equipment. Due to this it is not comparing apples to apples.

However, given how relatively unforgiving the equipment was back in Jack's day, you got to give him a lot of credit.

I went to high school with Jack. But never really met him. He was a senior when I was a freshman! LOL!

Rick
www.golfclubplayability.com

i think tiger is better because he has a strong competition, phil michaelson, sergio garcia, henrik stenson, vijay singh, rory sabbatini is on a roll right now. jack had only palmer, player and hogan. when tiger is in the lead, he never loses it, jack has lost it a couple times

r7 quad tp
ignite t60 3 wood
580h 19* hybrid
irons 670
wedges 52*, spin milled 56*, 60* rosa putter daytona prov1xhome course:3 pines country clubthe carolina country club

i think tiger is better because he has a strong competition, phil michaelson, sergio garcia, henrik stenson, vijay singh, rory sabbatini is on a roll right now. jack had only palmer, player and hogan. when tiger is in the lead, he never loses it, jack has lost it a couple times

See my post on page 7, I think you missed some of Jacks competition...

Lets take a moment to compare Jacks competitors to Tigers... Jack played against .... (Player and number of Majors) Gary Player 9, Tom Watson 8, Arnold Palmer 7, Lee Trevino 6, Seve Ballesteros 5, Raymond Floyd 4, Billy Casper 3, Johnny Miller 2, Ben Crenshaw 2, Tom Kite 1. all the while Jack was winning 18. (player and number of tour wins) Palmer 62, Casper 51, Watson 39, Littler 29, Trevino 29, Miller 25, Player 24, Floyd 22, Irwin 20, Norman 20, Sanders 20, Crenshaw 19, Kite 19. Jack had 73 wins Tiger played against.... (player and number of majors) Renie Els 3, Phil Mickelson 3, Vijay Singh 3, John Daly 2, Retief Goosen 2, Jose Maria 2, Mark Omera 2. ( player and number of tour wins) Vijay Singh 30, Phil Mickelson 29, Davis Love 19, Mark Omera 16, Fred Couples 15, Ernie Els 15, Corey Pavin 15, David Duval 13. Granted, Tigers competition is still playing, but I don't see any of todays players reaching 62 wins like Arnold did or even 51 like casper. They probably won't match Watsons 39 with the exception of Vijay.
T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

Hmm...I say Tiger....But a hard one at that..Perhaps they will come out with a movie like Rocky Balboa and we will know the truth.

Eric Camper
Driver: 450*
Hybrid: Nickent 2/17*
Hybrid: Nickent 4/23*
Irons: Ti-100 5-SWPutter: Craz-e

Thanks for puting the numbers together Hogan Fan, that's been a part of my point all along.

My other point is the younger people on the board really have no idea just how popular Arnold Palmer was back in the early 60's. I don't think it's stretching it at all to put him in the same popularity level as Tiger today. Although Palmer had a great record at that time it was not quite up to where Tiger's is today, but it might have gotten there if Nicklaus would have never showed up.

Another thing that I don't think people understand today is that players had more moxy back then. Meaning they were not as easily willing to give in and say, "Well I can't beat you, your just to good". You hear players talk like that about Tiger all the time, but when Jack was dominating, players took it as a personal challenge to take him down.

I don't recall a major where Nicklaus jumped out to a lead and the rest of the field started playing worse and worse. Usually they would come at him with everything they had and Nicklaus would have to turn it up another notch to get the victory. Tiger gets a 2 or 3 shot lead in a Major, and by the end of the day it's up to 7, 8 or 9 shot lead, and he shoots a 71,,,lol(Well, not all the time but it has happened a couple times)!

One last point is don't buy into the point that once Tiger passes the 18 major mark that it automatically gives him "Greatest Ever" title. I know all the media and Tiger fans will officially crown him, but don't think for a minute that when Nicklaus was playing if the record was 18 at that time he would not have backed off until he had +20 or more. From 1977 -1979 he really backed off and started getting involved in family and other business propositions. I think 1980 when he came back and won 2 majors was his way of saying I miss the drama and I can still win a Major if I want to put in the time and practice. Then he went back into hibernation until that magical Sunday in 1986.

Greatest Ever: Jack Nicklaus
2nd Greatest: Tie between Bobby Jones, Tiger Woods, Old Tom Morris, and Harry Vardon!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I'm a total newbie, so I don't know much about the players or the game. However, Woods is an inspiration to me and probably many more. Everybody knows him, even the people that don't play golf. There are not many other professional golfers who can say that .. I think.
Gear
Driver: G10 10,5° - regular flex
3-Wood: Burner Steel 15°
Hybrids: Benross V5 Escape 20°/3, 23°/4
Irons: Benross VX Combo OS 5i-SWGap Wedge: CG12 52° chrome finishLob Wedge: SM60.08 oil can finishPutter: White Hot XG #5AccessoriesStand Bag: GROMCart Bag: RC08-1Trolley: Big...

As exciting as it would be for golf and as a fan to see Tiger pass Jack's record, the traditionalist in me would like to see Jack's record stand. Like the ones Bobby Jones and Bryon Nelson have set and they still stand. Let Tiger go set a new record like the all time winner of the FED Ex Cup...lmao

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

What? I think you are vastly underestimating the importance of mental toughness in the game of golf. As much as I may like some of them, Phil, Sergio, Henrik, Vijay, and Rory (?) have the collective mental toughness of a bowl of jello on a hot day. They aren't even playing the same sport that Jack, Arnie, Player, Hogan, and Trevino were.

The guys Tiger is playing against are beaten before the round starts. They are just happy to finish in the Top10, cash their huge checks, and move on. That said... this thread is dumb. Hogan is the greatest golfer ever.

"Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones

In my Ping Hoofer Extreme...
Triumph TC-100 1 iron
TaylorMade R7 Quad 10.5* and 15* BurnerTriumph 3-PW, TaylorMade 2Pinnacle GoldsA no-name blade handed down to me from my father, and to him...

My vote is for Jack. He never (as far as I can remember) threw a club or continuously whined about a hole or course. The title is who is the greatest. Tiger is probably physically better, but Jack wins the all-around award..

My $.02

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

Tiger is the better player without a doubt. The competition these days is so much better. I can't recall an athlete in any other sport that came on the scene and actually forced his competitors to change the way they play the game.

For example, Tiger has forced all his competitors to start pumping iron and eating right just to stay competitive.

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino