IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Those of you with the knee-jerk "Tiger" response based on the fact that you didn't see Nicklaus in his prime need only to go to Youtube and type in 1986 Masters to see Nicklaus when he was past his prime. Might give you some perspective.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Absolutely respect and love what Jack did for the game. But have seen more of Tiger then Jack. So I lean toward Tiger. But I do understand that with no Jack, Tiger wouldn't be as amazing as he is.... (in the sense that its unbelievable how he is reaching Jack's accomplishments)

Absolutely respect and love what Jack did for the game. But have seen more of Tiger then Jack. So I lean toward Tiger. But I do understand that with no Jack, Tiger wouldn't be as amazing as he is.... (in the sense that its unbelievable how he is reaching Jack's accomplishments)

Why not? Yes, Jack did alot for golf, but nobody can tell how it would have been without him.

It's like asking "How would the world be without WW1". It's impossible to tell.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wasn't around in Jack's hayday - but from what I've seen and read I'd have to say Tiger is more athletic and a more accomplished all around player.

In MY bag...
IRONS X-Forged
WEDGE X-Tour 52*, 56*, & 60*
DRIVER Big Bertha 454 Titanium
WOODS FTI 3W, Big Bertha 5WPUTTER Itsy Bitsy Spider BALL Pro V1x

The year 2000. 'Nuff said

Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. ~John Updike

In my stand bag:
Driver: 983k 10.5*3 Wood: Sumo2 15*Irons: 690cb 2-PWWedges 54* and 58* oil can finishPutter: White hot mallet

I didn't follow Jack much but if we're comparing the two, he must of been really good in his prime. I've just recently gotten back into golf and have been watching Tiger make some incredible shots. He knows when to take his chances and to go for it. It doesn't hurt to be able to put the ball exactly where you want it.

It's Jack for me. He played against better players. How many guys who were multiple major winners did Jack have to beat week in and week out, compared to the guys Eldrick plays against? I bet there aren't more than 7 guys since 97 who have one multiple majors other than Eldrick. Jack had to play against: Tom Watson, Arnie, Seve, Gary Player, Faldo, Greg Norman, Ray Floyd, Crenshaw, Trevino, Peter Thompson, Billy Casper, Julius Boros, Johnny Miller... that's all I can think of right now, but Jack played in golf's golden age against the best players ever. I think if Eldrick had played his first 12 years in the same time frame Jack played his first 12 years, he'd have won a handful of majors at best. I realize that most people aren't old enough to even know who half the guys I named are, but there were a lot more players in Jack's era going to the World Golf hall of fame than will be all-time greats from today's era.

Just my $0.02

Tiger!! The world champion (with his Aussie Masters title). Every continent in the world where golf is being played. That to me is the main criterion and should be the yardstick.

What has Jack done? With a selected pool of competitors in a small pond?

Everywhere a poll is taken, over 75% of golfers voted Tiger is the Greatest.
This statistics is non-biased i.e. the polling is truly reflective of the general consensus of golfers everywhere.

We can rest this democratic polling - the outcome is fair. No two ways about it.

Everywhere a poll is taken, over 75% of golfers voted Tiger is the Greatest.

That is actually incorrect. According to simple market anaylsis the poll only includes individuals with (1) internet access and (2) members of this site.

Tiger is not the greatest simply because he hasn't broken Jack's records. When he does, he will be the greatest. I would love to see Tiger play balata balls, persimmon woods, and shallow forged blades and still have Jack's scoring averages.

G10 Driver Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 65 Stiff
G5 3-Wood Aldila NV65-Stiff
G15 20 Hybrid TFC stiff
I15 Irons 4-P
S/M Black Nickel 52 56 60 Marxman Mini 33" Tour B330 RXCarroll Valley Resort, Fairfield PA Rating: 72.3 Slope: 128www.carrollvalley.com

Try and play with clubs that jack and other used and the ball. Me and friends got ahold of older clubs and balls. You would be amazed the difference of distance and accuracy. You got to try this its really amazing...

Try and play with clubs that jack and other used and the ball. Me and friends got ahold of older clubs and balls. You would be amazed the difference of distance and accuracy. You got to try this its really amazing...

Makes you think about how hard it was to shoot low 40 years ago??