IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Tiger Woods is better. He has won more tournaments in his career right now than Jack did his first 17 years. Basically Tiger is on pace to break his major wins and tour wins.

Bobby Jones played against amateurs, well two of his grandslam were against amateurs weren't they??? Hard to compare any golfers of different era's. We're HUGE tiger fans but if Tiger were to retire tomorrow, dont think you could say without a doubt that Tiger was the greatest. Certainly you would say he WOULD have been the greatest, but the record books have gotta count for something

To denigrate in some way the acheivment of Bobby Jones because he played against amateurs shows a lack of understanding of the history of this great game . In the era that he played the majority of the best players were amateurs which is why at that time the British and US amateurs were held to be majors . It is interesting that Walter Hagen , Gene sarazan and Ben Hogan never won a major that Jones played in and never manged to beat Jones on more than one occassion each in official competition. Now those are three of the greatest pro's of all time.

iacas;52629]Did you happen to watch the last two majors of last year? In particular, the one played in July?

We can agree to disagree!

You do realize Tiger played balata balls in winning some of his majors and all of his U.S. Amateurs, right?

If you think the balata balls from the 1990's played and reacted just like the ones from the 1970's, that would be incorrect! There's 20 years of technology changes that went into Tiger's ball from the 1990's. You do realize that don't you?

So? Nicklaus' and Tiger's peers have the same relative advantages or disadvantages. Technology is a moot point. Tiger - and Jack - can only compete with the equipment they have, just as Bobby Jones could before them both.

That's exactly why I always say you can't compare how Tiger is a better long iron player than Jack, the Equipment is different. But you could say Tiger is a better long iron player than Phil, which I happen to agree with!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood:Β Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNCΒ Β 

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58*Β CNCΒ Β 

Putters:Β Scotty Cameron NewportΒ IIΒ 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I never saw Jack at his prime. However, I like the old-fashioned, out of shape golfer that Jack is/was opposed to the athlete that the younger players such as Tiger are.

Driver:

Wood: Launcher Gold

Irons: Sand Wedge: EyeHome Course

Jack will always be a legend, but Tiger opened up the game of golf to the whole world. Tiger is the reason I originally started watching golf and taking an interest in it.

Until Tiger wins more majors he is the second best golfer of all time.

905R or 907D2 9.5* Fujikura Speeder X-stiff
GS Tour 3W
R7 Fairway Wood 5
Burner Rescue Hybrid 3H
755 iron set 4-PW Spin Milled 52*, 56*, 60* Studio Design Black Laguna, 35" Tour Issue One Black CB641 Caddy Bag Japan Model

Payne Stewart's funny pants were the greatest.
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

Until Tiger wins more majors he is the second best golfer of all time.

True, but in the May issue of

Golf Digest Jack reckons Tiger will break all of his records. But for the moment Tiger is better. I voted for Tiger because Jack was before my time.
In my black carry bag
Driver- 909 D2 10.5* 76g Stiff UST Proforce V2
3-Wood 909 F3 14.5* 82g Stiff UST Proforce V2
Hybrid- 585-H 19* 85g Stiff Flex Adilla Proto
Irons- Z-B Forged 3iron-PW Project X 6.0Gap Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 52|8Sand Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 56|10Putter- Scotty Cameron...

very tough call.. think about the tech that tiger enjoys nowadays (nike might be crap, but still better than what they have back in jack's days).. it would be an interesting an match if they hit with each other's set!
What's in the bag:
Driver: 905R 9.5 deg, Graphite Design YS-6+ R Shaft
3 Wood: X Hot 15 deg, Fujikura Banzai R Shaft
Hybrid: Idea A2 OS 4 Iron, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue R Shaft
Irons: 735.CM Stainless Steel 3-P, S300 ShfatsWedges: Vokey Design 200 Series 56.14, Vokey Design Spin Milled 60.8,...

I still think it is way to early to call this one, due to the fact that Tiger has only been playing for 8 years or so. I voted for Tiger simply b/c he is the man, but time will prove who's the better golfer.

The Bag: Hoofer Vantage (Black on Blue)
In the bag...
Driver: X460
5 Wood: Zing 2
7 Wood: Zing 2Irons: X20 Steel ShaftPutter: Scotty Cameron Newport Detour

• Administrator
Jack, because he has more wins and did it with inferior technology.

His competition had the same "inferior technology," and the common thought is that if the modern pro had Jack's equipment, Tiger would be even further ahead.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jack, because he has more wins and did it with inferior technology.

I agree completley.

His competition had the same "inferior technology," and the common thought is that if the modern pro had Jack's equipment, Tiger would be even further ahead.

Jack has more wins, and their scores aren't that much different with the inferior technology. Just imagine how good Jack and the rest of his competition would be if they had the new clubs and balls.

In My Bag :

Driver : HiBore XL
3 Wood : Launcher Gold
Hybrid : 3i Halo 22*Irons : CG4 4-PWWedges : 588 DSG RTG 52* CG11 56* / 60*Putter : GM Exchange2 #4Ball : Z-URS

I agree completley.

i see your point but you could easily argue they've made holes a ton longer. 610 par 5s? 290 par 3's? 490 par 4's?

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2