IGNORED

Forbes Traveler - Top 10 Golf Cities in America

Note: This thread is 5518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.forbestraveler.com/golf/b...-us-story.html

Just wondering if anybody seen this and had any thoughts ?

I don't think this is for Chicago only, but for the greater Chicago area.

From a public course point of view, there are dozens of muni and public courses nearby, and still a good amount of high end private courses.

At last count it was over 220 in the metro area, not including WI or IN.

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

The article admitted Myrtle Beach wasn't really a city, but just a long, long beach.

That picture of the course in Chicago was sweet. Prairie Dunes or Landing or something like that. Looks like an awesome course.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I live in the greater San Francisco area, and don't think it deserves the #3 rank at all. Sure there are some great courses, but half of them are private and the other half are WAY overpriced and crowded. Out of the 4-5 courses they mentioned in the article, 3 are strictly private!

If the list is based off of looking at pretty golf courses or historical venues, then I'd rank it up there. But if you'd like to actually PLAY them, that's another story.

I agree. If you lived in NYC and could play all the super private courses within an 1.5 hour drive - Winged Foot, Shinnecock, Fisher Island, Pine Valley, plus alot more, NYC would be up there. I would think NYC definitely tops SF.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just going from the context of the article, I think the article misses its own point. The site is Forbes TRAVELER , and starts off "Going on a business trip to a big city?". Since most people aren't members of clubs that can get spur-of-the-moment reciprocal privelages at places like Winged Foot, Shinnecock, Olympic Club, etc., those seem pretty useless in rating a city as a golf option when on a business trip.

The article admitted Myrtle Beach wasn't really a city, but just a long, long beach.

Prarrie Landing. RTJ jr course.

I have yet to play it. It's on the list for this yr. http://www.prairielanding.com/page/76-1896.htm

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

I agree. If you lived in NYC and could play all the super private courses within an 1.5 hour drive - Winged Foot, Shinnecock, Fisher Island, Pine Valley, plus alot more, NYC would be up there. I would think NYC definitely tops SF.

Don't forget Baltusrol , Westchester, Quaker Ridge, Bethpage, Maidstone...... (you could go on and on)... The NY metro area has the highest density of wold class courses anywhere in the U.S.

Glock 17

I was dissapointed that Jacksonville did not make the list. There are some awesome courses and most of them are accesible to the unwashed masses. It might be a little pricey to play Sawgrass but if Joe the Plumber saved his pennies he could play. Golf is a very large part of the Jacksonville culture.... along with fried food and obesity.

Glock 17

Seriously, what happened to San Diego? Only the most beautiful courses and 364 days of golf (yes, it only rains one day a year).

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Seriously, what happened to San Diego? Only the most beautiful courses and 364 days of golf (yes, it only rains one day a year).

Shhh, quiet! Those of us who live here know how good of golf town it is and we somehow tolerate that day of rain each year, but if you let everyone else know they'll just move here and make our traffic like LA. Let's just keep it our little secret.......

prairie landing is a pretty nice course. I only played it once but I liked it. However, in my opinion the best RTJ jr course in chicagoland is Thunderhawk which is in Lake County. It is fantastic. I'm also surprised they didn't mention Cantigny in Wheaton, which is in my opinion as good as Cog.

Austin, TX should be ahead of San Antonio.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Forbes is crap. All of their 'lists' and other stuff like that is garbage. Business trip golf and they mention highly exclusive clubs, very helpful.

I agree NY area is one of the top places for golf in the US, but the NY area is a very big area. If you include 2 hour drives from SF, LA, Miami, et al, there would be some stiff competition. Speaking for SF, that would include Pebble, Cypress, Spyglass, not to mention the great courses right in the SF area such as Olympic, SFGC, Harding Park, Pasatiempo plus many many more. Nowhere has as much history as the NY area though.

Driver - TaylorMade R7 425
3-Wood - Callaway Original Steelhead
Irons - Ben Hogan 3-PW Apex FTX, Rifle 6.5
Wedges - Titleist Vokey 52, 56, and 60
Putter - Scotty 2004 Newport Beach 1.5

One thing about the SF area courses I give over NY. The views. Of course, nice views in NY too, but the west coast scenery is just jaw drop breathtaking and I'm not thinking PB, which is obvious.

Plus you have better weather, but we don't have fog, or what did they call it? The "marine layer". Ha ha.

If there's one place I'd like to be during an earthquake though, that's a golf course - looks safe and if I get hit by a tree, I'd die happy. That's the way I'd want to go.

Steve

Minor point, but Fishers Island is just off the RI/CT coast. The only way to get there from NYC in less than 3 hours is by plane.

Note: This thread is 5518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!