IGNORED

Tiger Love Fest

Ogg
Note: This thread is 5522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was I the only one rooting for O'Hair? That kid has overcome a lot to be where he is.

I was definitely rooting for him too. He's a great player, and I couldn't believe he hit that ball in the water on 16 when Tiger was basically in jail having to get up and down from 100 yards out. I definitely like how he uses cameras to improve his swing too.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am not a fan of Tiger Woods (in the sense that there is a poster above my bed) but how could you not be both a golfer and a fan of golf and not appreciate his greatness? Saturday, making two putts that saved him two additional strokes, let alone blasting out of incredibly awful fried egg lies in the bunker, not once, but twice on Sunday. When his game is off, like his was, he goes back to one, simple train of thought: Forget what just happened and concentrate on now.

While I'm not a fan of media isolation and it can get carried away at times with Tiger, no one moves the needle like he does. Additionally, the media does it's best to try and create both rivalries and stars. They are constantly talking about Paddy Harrington and his quest for three in a row, talking up Anthony Kim as the next best thing, how Sergio had the opportunity to overtake Tiger in the WGR. The result is that most people yawn at those statements. Tiger standing over a putt, on 18, to win equals the best golf ratings since....last year's U.S. Open.

It may seem unjust but I rather watch Tiger try and win a tournament than watch Sean O'Hair do everything possible to NOT LOSE A TOURNAMENT.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

He's the best player in the world and possibly ever. Tiger is the most well known golfer and possibly athlete in the world right now. He sells. Why wouldn't CBS replay his shots?

LeBron James is probably the biggest name in basketball. Everything he does gets replayed. It's a sure way to get people to watch: just play clips of the best/most popular player in the sport.
Ratings=money. CBS wants money. Play Tiger clips.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

What i find amazing about Tiger is that even though he's number 1, and people love to support an underdog as it's nice to see them overcome a better player, it's just not the same with him. I found myself wanting him to come back and win, as i have in all his tourneys - apart from any where an englishman is in contention!!!
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

But NBC put the spotlight on the right guy - they celebrated Tiger's birdies and drainined putts down the stretch. I would much rather watch those replays and listen to the commentary on Tiger, rather than O'Hair's struggle.

I have a question regarding this, and it is not necessarily what you think but rather what you think the network would have done.

Say the roles were reversed and tiger was blowing the tournament, and O'Hair made a huge comeback. Who do you think the spotlight would be on? IMO, they would show O'Hair's putt on 18 to win the tourny but the focus would be on how tiger blew it, not how O'Hair came back. And another thing, Tiger does not transcend (sp?) the sport. Right now he is the face of it, but the game was around long before he was born and it will be around long after he dies. The sport does not need tiger. It's nice to have him but it does not need him.

The sport does not need tiger. It's nice to have him but it does not need him.

I don't agree with this. Every single sport needs its greatest player. You don't make as much money as an organization and therefore, the players also make less money. The money has grown, exponentially, because of Tiger Woods. To say that golf does not need Tiger is like saying Oreo does not need the creme filling in its cookies.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I think when most people use the term "transcend" they intend it to mean that Tiger's reach is beyond golf. Not that Tiger is bigger than golf, better than golf, etc.

I think the purpose is simply to state that Tiger brings in non-golf fans to the sport.
In the bag:
Driver: `09 Launcher (10.5º) w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff
3 Wood: `09 Launcher w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff shaft
3 Hybrid (20.5º): `09 Launcher w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff Shaft
4-PW: CG7 Tour w/ TT Dynamic Gold Stiff Shafts50º (8º Bnce), 56º (14º Bnce), 60º (8º Bnce):

There sure is a love fest for Tiger but why not!

Tiger is so dominant player around and will be for years. Whenever tiger is in the field its the field against tiger. Clutch Clutch clutch..... how solid was that putt yesterday. Tiger deserves the love fest and Phil or any other pro would go nuts for that attention.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

It's amazing watching Tiger do what he does (and I'm not really a fan of his) but the lovefest does kind of get annoying. What do you expect though? NBC is a business and they're trying to milk Tiger for ratings. What smart company wouldn't do that?

I just hope that Phil or someone else can start winning tournaments with Tiger in the field so I can stop hearing about Tiger for awhile.

I just hope that Phil or someone else can start winning tournaments with Tiger in the field so I can stop hearing about Tiger for awhile.

You mean like the last 10 months?

In the bag:
4-PW: CG7 Tour w/ TT Dynamic Gold Stiff Shafts50º (8º Bnce), 56º (14º Bnce), 60º (8º Bnce):

• Administrator
Say the roles were reversed and tiger was blowing the tournament, and O'Hair made a huge comeback. Who do you think the spotlight would be on?

Why debate something that's basically purely hypothetical? Tiger isn't 100% perfect with the lead, but I'm pretty sure he's untouchable with a FIVE-shot lead.

In other words, why speculate? I don't think what you're suggesting has ever happened, and it may never happen.
And another thing, Tiger does not transcend (sp?) the sport. Right now he is the face of it, but the game was around long before he was born and it will be around long after he dies. The sport does not need tiger. It's nice to have him but it does not need him.

Tiger isn't bigger than golf. It's been here long before and will be here long after. But I don't think that's what the people who say he's "transcended" it are saying. It depends on how you define "transcend." In one sense, you could say he "transcends golf" because people who have never heard of golf know who Tiger Woods is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You mean like the last 10 months?

Yes, I enjoyed watching golf more when he was away from the game. But more-so I'd just rather someone put him on his ass so to speak and put a little bit of a dent in his God-like status.

Why debate something that's basically purely hypothetical? Tiger isn't 100% perfect with the lead, but I'm pretty sure he's untouchable with a FIVE-shot lead.

I speculated becasue some people said the coverage of Tiger was becasue he made a great comeback. Which he did. All I am saying is the coverage is because it's Tiger. Right or wrong or for whatever reason. If he blew the lead the back pages would have said he choked. If he shot a 100, the back pages would have said "

TIGER SHOOTS 100!!!: "O'Hair wins"
Tiger isn't bigger than golf. It's been here long before and will be here long after. But I don't think that's what the people who say he's "transcended" it are saying. It depends on how you define "transcend." In one sense, you could say he "transcends golf" because people who have never heard of golf know who Tiger Woods is.

the below quote is what i was reffering to. I just didn't multi quote it. Sorry for the confusion. I will agree that by your definition he "transcends golf." To me, when a player transcends a sport, it means the only reason it gets attention is because of that player. Some examples might me Micheal Phelps and swimming, Lance Armstrong and biking or even a Pele or Beckhame in soccer for us Americans. Most Americans don't care about those sports unless one of those guys are involved and almost every American has atleast heard of them. I do not feel that way about Tiger. To me, he is the face of the sport, the sports biggest star and and the sports greatest player. But that is just how i feel and my interpritation when people say a player transcends a sport

I think Tiger might be bigger then the game. When has any course or any player be able to hold him back for a length of time? I'm going to say it Tiger is bigger then the game no one will ever out do him. He gets all the highlight reals, because week after week he makes the shots that win.

Yes, I enjoyed watching golf more when he was away from the game. But more-so I'd just rather someone put him on his ass so to speak and put a little bit of a dent in his God-like status.

That's cool, I get your point, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Though, Tiger obtained a god-like status because of his talent and results. It wasn't as if his name was drawn out of a hat at a media members convention back in `97. Sure, I'd like to see other players on tour get more attention too. However, it's a simple fact that people who could give a crap about golf will watch on a Sunday when Tiger is in contention. That attention is not a bad thing.
In the bag:

tbh im loving tiger being back but imo its getting a little annoying that a lot and i mean a lot of the programming is on him! i love watching him play but if you have a little bet on somebody and would like to see them to see how they are doing it just doesnt happen which is why when the tournaments are on my computer is permanently on shot tracker!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

He is amazing!
After every shot there was someone yelling "YA TIGER!", even if someone else was hitting! He is back! Amazing Putter, like watching it on tv, you actually have confidence hes gunna make it.

In my Tour Bag:

Taylormade RBZ Driver, 3w, 3h
Cobra Amp Cell Irons 4i-pw
Vokey Wedges, 52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Putter

"I'd shoot an eagle anyday over a regular ol' birdie"

I have no issues with him on the course and wasn't necessarily rooting for or against him yesterday (wish Allenby could putt). It was fascinating to watch, as most head to heads are, and the last putt was vintage Tiger Woods (as were many clutch putts). From the news this morning, it's clear the ratings were something else, as well.

That being said, the people that tune in because Tiger is in the mix, are going to tune in whether NBC goes nuts over him. I do think it could be toned down just a bit and let us watch some of it unfold without the constant discussion of the "comeback", etc. He was going to win again (and again and again), this sense of "urgency", basically rooting for him to win now(Golf Channel, too) is what I get annoyed with. Face it, he was a little rusty, period, and now he's back with a better body and better swing. You think it's a love fest now, just wait, because the guy is still going to win A LOT.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

America loves the underdog.

But their is nothing like watching the bully on the block (or planet) smack the underdog into the cheap seats (it's called a reality check).

Tiger wills his way to a win, it is a pleasure to watch, enjoy it.... because it only happens about every 30 years in sports.

Not a huge Tiger fan, but damn sure a fan of him when he is in contention.

the bunker shots won it for him, when most all of us was saying..."man, he's sort-of screwed with that plugged ball 3 INCHES from the lip!!" I guess thats why he is a billionaire? (Thanks to Arnie and Jack paving the way however....)

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Note: This thread is 5522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!