IGNORED

Masters Online & TV Coverage

SpacklersEdge
Note: This thread is 4410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know this for sure, but I'd guess it's to save money.  They must be paying for the streaming and it's not worth it to them to show last years Par 3 contest unless someone agreed to pay for it.

Originally Posted by Th3R00st3r

So Live Coverage on Masters.com  of the par3 contest was delayed de to weather..but put something on??  I heard them say "lets watch last years par 3 contest while we wait" then BOOM, no workie in  the interwebs...

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I don't know this for sure, but I'd guess it's to save money.  They must be paying for the streaming and it's not worth it to them to show last years Par 3 contest unless someone agreed to pay for it.

I think IBM handles all of that for them.

I think it's simply that they feel - as Billy Payne literally said today - that "less is more."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Originally Posted by pikkiwoki

Complaints about lack of early-round TV coverage. It's strategy. Augusta National is a cute girl playing hard-to-get. Now you want her more.

— Jason Sobel (@JasonSobelGC) April 5, 2012

Absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable.  But I guess this is par for the course for Augusta.

What's ridiculous or unacceptable about that? We have a hell of a lot more coverage now than we did years ago.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What's ridiculous or unacceptable about that? We have a hell of a lot more coverage now than we did years ago.

But it's not years ago. The other majors have something like eight hours of live coverage per day. And it's not like they don't allow cameras on the course during these hours, because they've had their live feeds going for hours already. They just don't want it shown on network TV more than a few hours, for some reason. And this, after Billy's speech yesterday about how he's got all these smart people trying to figure out what more ANGC can do to grow the game. There's a lot bigger TV audience than there are golf geeks who are following Masters.com.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by brocks

And this, after Billy's speech yesterday about how he's got all these smart people trying to figure out what more ANGC can do to grow the game.

More coverage would do more to grow the game? I disagree.

Billy also said in his press conference "less is more."

• Administrator

Originally Posted by brocks

That was in response to a question about women members.

Hardy har.

I don't see the problem with more coverage. In the olympics you got every single race, run, match or whatever on the screen. If people want to watch it, they can. Nobody forcing you. Especially since they already got cameras out there all day long. I know it's Augusta and it's magic and we do it this way, but isn't The Masters portrayed as one of the tournaments that first got on TV? What can it hurt to give more coverage? I'm sure the tickets are sold out in any event. I agree, they have done a good job with the website, except that it's only available to the US audience.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator

Meanwhile, Rory makes a charge, but I guess no one gets to watch it play out live, all because "less is more."

Yep. Tune in later to watch the highlights.

Meanwhile, Rory makes a charge, but I guess no one gets to watch it play out live, all because "less is more."

Yea I dont understand why golfchannel runs this stupid "Masters Live" thing instead of showing the actual golf.  I realize they might not have the rights to show it or whatever but if no one else is showing it now why can't they get it!??! So frustrating.

Rory is getting close to Amens corner though so we will be able to watch him online for a bit.

You can watch several of Rory's next few holes live on Masters.com. They have feeds for Amen Corner and holes 15 and 16. Click on "live" on the main page. You can also see three of his birdies on the front nine, by clicking on his name on the scoreboard, and then on the holes whose numbers are in green. On all three of those birdies, he made pretty long putts. I am just guessing, but the shortest one looked about 12 feet, and the longest maybe 35.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Yea I dont understand why golfchannel runs this stupid "Masters Live" thing instead of showing the actual golf.  I realize they might not have the rights to show it or whatever but if no one else is showing it now why can't they get it!??! So frustrating.

Because it would cost them millions of dollars, and then ESPN wouldn't pay as much.

Originally Posted by iacas

Because it would cost them millions of dollars, and then ESPN wouldn't pay as much.

Well then ESPN should play the whole thing, they have about 3 or 4 channels they could put it on.

I get there is probably some good reasons as to why ESPN does not play it all day either but it still sucks as a golf fan :(

• Administrator

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

I get there is probably some good reasons as to why ESPN does not play it all day either but it still sucks as a golf fan :(

I'm fairly certain the reason is this: The Masters won't let them.

Note: This thread is 4410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!