IGNORED

top five golf states

Ceej
Note: This thread is 4708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The fact that people don't have Ohio in their top five saddens me.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I'll name 6 real quick.

I have played a few of those (Shaker, Longberger, and Stonewater) and good golf buddy of mine has played Walden... none of those compare with Pinehurst #2, Pine Needles, Arcadia Bluffs, Bay Harbor, Pebble Beach, Torrey, Caledonia, TPC Sawgrass, Banden Dunes or some of the other BIG NAME public courses other states can boast... no offense, but Ohio is just plain MEDIOCRE!

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Here's a take on it.
Grasses -- For a state to be the best, it needs great grass, specifically greens.
Weather -- The season should last for most of the year, hard to play in weather below 40 degrees F or a foot of snow.
Courses -- Access to courses that range from great tracks to places enjoyed by seniors and shorter players; and affordability is a plus, as are many fine country clubs with impeccable courses. You want all options.

I have searched the USA rather extensively for a places where I could play pretty much year around, putt on bent grass or non-grainey greens, play on championship courses, and do all this within a reasonable cost structure.

So, the winners are:

1. Texas
2. Arizonia
3. Parts of California
4. Oklahoma
5. and believe it or not, a few courses in New Mexico

I would put Florida in there but I dislike grainey, old fashioned bermuda greens. Places with with kikuyu grass, slow greens, and shut-down periods for winter may have great tracks for specific times of the year or just after championship mowing, but they are too inconsistent for the everyday play I want -- just my humble opinion.

RC

5. and believe it or not, a few courses in New Mexico

New Mexico and Utah are the most underrated golf states. Outstanding courses at good prices (really fun to play in high altitude--you will hit all your shots a club and a half longer-or more)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Here's a take on it.

RC,

What part of Texas are you from? I want a place to play year round and am really interested in moving to Texas once I graduate from school.

Driver: 975D 9.5
3 Wood: 975F 14.5
2 Hybrid: 909H 19
Irons: 3-PW VR Split Cavity
Wedges: VR 52/10 & 56/10Putter: White Hot Tour #1Ball: ONE Platinum/Tour

I lived in Texas for a long time, played just about every city and several of its best courses. Texas has many nice courses, some very nice courses, but IMO no great courses. Even the PGA tour stops (Texas Open, Houston Open) are only very nice, not great.

I will say, however, I never played Colonial, so this might be an exception.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

I am kind of biased towards FL but kind of not as the Central and Southern parts of the state have virtually zero undulation change. Maybe I'm just a mountain boy but that is a big part what a potential golf course can offer is hills, and undulation change.

However, if you ever want to see some incredible golf, go no further than Collier County, FL. Yes it's the retirement capital of the world but it is literally back to back outstanding golf courses.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I lived in Texas for a long time, played just about every city and several of its best courses. Texas has many nice courses, some very nice courses, but IMO no great courses. Even the PGA tour stops (Texas Open, Houston Open) are only very nice, not great.

Agreed. I have lived in Houston and Dallas. The Byron Nelson course (TPC Las Colinas) is nice but nothing special. I've played TPC Redstone as well. Same deal.

In my bag:

2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I have the good fortune to work for the Horseshoe Bay Resort in the Texas hill country, and we have three Robert Trent Jones Sr golf courses. They are all spectacular! Come see us, we are located 45 miles northwest of Austin. I play our courses all the time, and they beat me up. Ramrock is said to be a contender for the hardest course in Texas. Come challenge it!

No doubt that Austin Hill Country is pretty and the town is awesome too. I think it's the best that Texas has to offer. Barton Creek looks beauteous too.

In my bag:

For some reason, it is the mediocre/good, but not great Texas courses (Colonial is the exception) that get the PGA stops and TV time. There is a trend to put PGA tour events on TPC courses, and I don't like it. It is homogenizing the tour.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

For some reason, it is the mediocre/good, but not great Texas courses (Colonial is the exception) that get the PGA stops and TV time. There is a trend to put PGA tour events on TPC courses, and I don't like it. It is homogenizing the tour.

I suspect it may have to do with the logistics of a PGA tournament, which can be quite overwhelming. A lot of great courses are not set up to handle huge crowds on the course, the pro shop, the parking lot, etc.

Also, some of the private courses frankly don't want the hassle of a PGA tour stop. Too many downsides.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

I have only played in cali, but ive taked to my dad and he said he LOVES washington. So maybe throw washington in there too

In the bag:

Driver: R9 460
Fairway Woods:FT 3 Wood, Burner 5 Wood
Irons: R7 DrawWedges: 56 sand, Bob Vokey Spin-Milled 60 LobPutter: DetourBall: NXT Extreme

I don't know about the other 4 but South Carolina definitely has to be on the list.

"The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." - Oscar Wilde

Overall (public, private, resort...etc)
1. New York
2. California
3. Florida
4. South Carolina
5. Arizona/Nevada
Public
1. South Carolina by a mile
2. Florida
3. California
4. Arizona
5. Wisconsin
Upscale/private
1. New York
2. Florida
3. Georgia
4. California
5. Michigan

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

Ya know comparing states is like saying Fords are better than Chevys. TX is about the size of all of New England. And check any top 100 list....TX courses aren't there. CT is about the size of Houston and we have more quality and better quantity than Houston. AND Ohio a top state....Gimme a break. PA is twice as nice as Ohio. Just Philly is better than all of Ohio. So compare places that in an hour you can play tracks. Then we get a good discussion. Myrtle, South Jersey, Orlando, RTJ Trail, Vegas, Palm Springs, Cape Cod, Compare Cali to say Mid Atlantic cuz that's about the size of it. But in the end give me Bandon.......

Yes some states are bigger than others. Regardless, you can still rank them just the same in terms of golf.

In my bag:

• 8 months later...
I have been in the Marines for the last 20 years. I have had the opportunity to live in GA, VA, RI, AZ, CA, FL, HI and NC. I have also played in SC, IA, CO, MT, WI, ID, TN, and some I am forgetting. I dont know how you can put any state in the list that doesnt have 365. Also I am going to assume you LIVE in HI, which is a huge difference in price to play. I pay 50-60 bucks to play courses that charge $150-300 for tourists.

1. HI
2. CA
3. AZ
4. NC
5. FL

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

Note: This thread is 4708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!