IGNORED

Tough position...what would u do?

SteelDriver
Note: This thread is 5495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think if you were to say no your stuck with your 3 wood, he SHOULD have understood and left you alone about it and carried on. I tell my playing partners no all the time and they understand because I never ask to use their clubs.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This happened to my dad with his brand new driver,,, a friend of mine asked since he simply couldnt hit his own that well. ding sky mark. My dad was kinda pissed.

I told him you shoulda said no, but also my friend should have never asked.

OP I feel for you, he put you in a tough spot. Listen we all have friends that don't take good care of their "stuff" I ask the people on this site would you let this guy drive your car too? THe fact that he used your driver for weeks prior is BS. I think your best possible solution since he is a friend & you dont want to offend him is rent the driver to him for $30 for the day. If you replied and said,"yea you can use it, but I will have to charge you say $30 for the round" If he thought you were being cheap just say "next time dont forget your driver" If he paid the $30 then you got a free(ish) round and it wouldnt have hurt so much to go 7-7-7. What if he hit a golfer injuring them with your driver?

Dont let these people tell you how you should feel.

Did the club not have a demo driver he could have used?

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 degree driver Diamana shaft
MP-57 3-pw DG R300 shafts
MX700 Hybrid Cleveland CG14 50 degree wedge Nike SV 56 degree wedgeReid Lockhart 56 degree sandwedge (plays like a 60 degree, hence the two 56 degree wedges) Odyssey...

• Administrator
I don't let people borrow my clubs, and I don't expect or ask to borrow anyone else's.

Maybe a putter to stroke a few putts on the practice green to see how it feels, but nothing else - ever.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Assuming a friend , yes, I'd let him use my driver, or anything else he needed.

Of course, I know full well that such a friend would immediately replace the club if he damaged it in any way. That's what friends do.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I hope that someday you get to experience losing all your worldly posessions like I did 10 years ago. It makes you realize that it's just stuff.

Spot on.

I think it just comes down to you learning how to say no. A lot of people have this problem - Person A asks Person B to do something but Person B doesn't necessarily want to (could be because it's uncomfortable, like your case or because it puts him in a worse off situation) but agrees to it anyway usually because he cares too much about what Person A will think of him. Then Person B will usually end up resenting Person A or will be in a worse of situation.

What ever happened to the concept of friendship?

I wouldn't think twice about it, I'd let him use it.

IMO, people have become more attached to their "stuff" than they are to their friends. Used to be that a guy would give his friend anything... his last $5, loan him his car, etc.

Now days it seems like possessions are more important than friendship, and I just see that as a sign of the times. People don't respect each other, mostly don't even seem to like each other that much any more. Friendship is just a surface attribute, whereas it used to go right to the heart. Me, I'd probably not make the loan to a person who is just an acquaintance who I knew was a poor player, but I'd tell him why and I'd advise him that he might find that he had a better game without the driver. If it's a good friend then I might still give him the same advice, but I'd still let him use the club if he wanted to. I don't really give a rat's behind if it gets a sky mark.... it's a THING. My friend is an important part of my LIFE. That's more important to me than a whole bagful of drivers. To the OP.... you're pissed off because he played better than you with your own club???? That's just ridiculous. Get real dude!

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Some friends I would let play my driver, however, there are some friends I would not, nor would I have a problem telling them I would not.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Did the club not have a demo driver he could have used?

I was thinking this the whole time I read this thread.

I wouldn't think twice about it, I'd let him use it.

Absolutely my answer as well. I let my buddy use my hybrid the other day, and he loved it...went and bought his own. I still hit it better than he does....hehe

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

• Administrator
IMO, people have become more attached to their "stuff" than they are to their friends. Used to be that a guy would give his friend anything... his last $5, loan him his car, etc.

How about his wife?

Point being there are some things you do for friends, and some things you don't do. I'll take six hours to help a friend choose a set of clubs that will suit him, but why would I let him hit my driver? It's not fit for him, he could put a scuff mark on it (and then we'd both feel bad), and so on. Point being that just because I won't loan a guy my clubs (and to be honest, they wouldn't ask anyway - I don't ask to borrow anyone's) doesn't mean I value them over the friendship or something. I'll give a friend my last $5, I'll do all sorts of things, but I wouldn't ask to borrow clubs (just as I won't ask to borrow money), and my friends are the type that wouldn't ask to borrow clubs either. Plus one of my friends plays left-handed. :) We'll often use each other's putter on the practice green just for grins... but putter fitting and the likelihood of damage aren't concerns.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

How about his wife?

I don't consider my wife to be "stuff", so that's an irrelevant comment. I guess we have a different opinion of friendship. If a friend asks to hit my driver, he's welcome to it.

My golf clubs are simply tools I use to play golf. I don't sleep with them, I don't keep them in a padded case. I play golf with them, and leave them in the trunk of my car the rest of the time. I keep them clean, I regrip them when necessary... I do take care of them, but I don't idolize them.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I let guys who I know and are good players hit my clubs for a few balls on the driving range, especially if I just got something new and they wanted to try it. Its no big deal. Working at a golf course, its just what we do. We just have enough trust and respect for each other to be okay with it. Heck, I crushed the face on my driver 3 days before the club championship a couple years ago and I had several guys I work with offer up theirs. I ended up winning it with someone elses driver.

Now, I wouldn't let someone I don't kow well or someone who isn't a good player hit my clubs because they might put a sky mark or something on it.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I don't see the big deal with letting him use your driver. Yea, I know it's against the rules, but providing he's not a total hack, he's not going to hurt the new club. Furthermore, it's not like both of you could have used it at the same time anyway. I have let others borrow clubs on the tee a few times and have never had an issue with it. One of my friends forgot his driver one time (he had taken it in the practice on carpet) and asked if he could share mine. I let him, but it was a real annoyance and slowed down the pace. I actually putted a couple times that day with the wedge I had just used instead of trading off the putter just out of convenience.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I'm not entirely sure what I would have done in that situation...Meh, I probably would have done EXACTLY what you did, let them borrow the club as not to look like a dick and then freak out about it. I definitely understand because it was your second round ever with the club not just borrowing a random club.

Driver: 909D3 9.5*
Wood: 909F3 15*
Hybrid: a4 3-4H
Irons: MP-57 5-PW
Wedges: MP R 50.5 SM 54.12 MP R 58.10Putter: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Mid SlantCorrect me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key...

I'd have no problem with it, and especially since he hit it great it means he knew what he was doing. If I had a buddy that was a total hack and asked to use something that cold get damaged, I'd say no and they would understand.

You were bitter he used your club and so you played bad, your fault. Now you're jealous he hit your club better than you. Seriously, grow up.

I really don't understand the people who are so uptight about not even letting others touch your clubs. If someone is bad, or its someone you don't know I see fearing that they could be damaged, but come on.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

I agree. This is assuming the dude is a decent guy based on him calling him a friend.

its your own damn fault it took you out of the game. Sounds like an excuse to me. You guys seriously wouldnt let a buddy swing your club? Its not like hes hitting it off a rock or a cartpath or against a tree.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

If I'm playing with someone I consider a friend and seems to take care of their clubs, I have no problem letting them share a club if they "forgot" one even if they probably could make due without borrowing.

If wagering were involved, no.

Would I ask to use someone else's driver? No, as I would see this as an opportunity to work my 3w in situations I might never have tried.

Note: This thread is 5495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!