IGNORED

Titleist AP2 vs. Mizuno MP-52 vs. Nike VR

Note: This thread is 5428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know there has already been some discussion about all these irons and I have read them all probably. I'm strongly looking into buying 1 of these sets and would like your opinions. I plan on hitting all 3 at Golf Galaxy on Wednesday and have a Nike/Titleist demo day this weekend. I know I won't have a good feel for them until I test them for myself but I would just like your final opinions on them. Mainly looking for comparisons in feel of the club, consistency & distance control, and forgiveness. Once again, sorry for another one of these threads but just looking for some quick clarification. Thanks!

Driver: 975D 9.5
3 Wood: 975F 14.5
2 Hybrid: 909H 19
Irons: 3-PW VR Split Cavity
Wedges: VR 52/10 & 56/10Putter: White Hot Tour #1Ball: ONE Platinum/Tour

I have hit all 3 extensively. I was looking to buy new irons this year and tried these 3 models (as well as just about everything else). In the end it came down to the Mizuno's, Taylor Made TP or Nike VR Split Cavity. I decided on the MP-52's of those choices, although I ended up buying used MP-60's which I liked as much as the MP52/57 irons.

As for comparions, I think the Mizuno's 'feel' the best but the Titleist and Nike are both a little more forgiving (based on my testing on simulator, for what that's worth). As far as distance control, I think with higher end 'player' type clubs they're all about even (provided you get the correct shaft for your swing). Overall, I wasn't really all that crazy about the Titleist AP2's. I really liked the Nike VR SC even though I didn't think I would, but in the end I just liked the pure feel of contact with the Mizuno irons - the others just didn't quite compare. The Taylor Made TP and Nike were a close runner up, along with Adams Idea Pro Gold (and in the event that the Mizzies are not able to fulfill their duties one of those others will be asked to step in). I will tell you that the Adams Pro irons are also worth a look. Their feel was also very good, but I just didn't like the hybrids as well as the Mizuno hybrids I already had. Be sure to at least try some other brands that what you say you're considering because, if you can remove your own personal prejudices, you might find you prefer another brand/model copletely.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Im pretty sure the AP2's will be the easiest of those 3 to get into the air, if that is a concern for you. But the AP2's will not be as soft. I find the feel of them to be a little muted comparied with a traditional players iron.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I agree, the AP2's are muted, but the feeling when you hit a ball square on the face is just as exhilarating as the other clubs. The AP2's are my first forged set of clubs and I've been very happy with them so far. I got fitted and the standard Rifle Project X 5.5 shafts were perfect for me, high laungh, low spin, the magic combo. Mine are 2 degrees upright so they have a nice, natural draw on them, which I think the upright helps with.

I did want to try the new Nike VR split cavity irons but I got the AP2's instead, no regrets so far. I went from all Nike clubs to all Titleist now.

909 D2, 9.5 with Matrix Ozik XCon 5
909 F2, 15.5 3W with Matrix Ozik Xcon 5
909 H, 19 & 24 with stock Aldila Voodoo S
AP2, 5-PW with Project X 5.5
CG10, 52 gap wedge CG10, 56 sand wedge Spin Milled, 60 lob wedge Newport 2.5

I have the AP2's and love them, they feel great to me... haven't hit the Mizuno's or the Nike's but they both look pure... I'm sure one of these brands will fit your eye

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

I played for years with the Mizuno MP 32's before switching to Ping i5. Did not like them at all. I ended up giving my MP 32's to my son and I got a set of MP 52's. I love Mizuno's for their feel. I cannot compare the Titlelist or Nike irons because I have not hit them. I really don't think you would go wrong with either set you mentioned.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

My order:
1.Mizuno
T2.Nike
T2.Titleist

I like the 52's best. It's really a toss up about the other two. Felt different but good. But neither was as good as the Mizunos.

My vote is on the Mizuno's. I just ordered a set of the 52's myself. I have hit the Mizuno and Titleists at a demo day, Nike wasn't present. The thing that sold me was the sole and shaft selection of the Mizuno's. There was a shaft that could turn the ball flight into exactly what you wanted. The sole of the club was clean when it came to being just a little off on contact (little low/high). It went through the ground much easier than the Titleists. Lastly, for me, it was the feel of hitting a pure shot with the Mizunos....nothing else compaired.

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

I hit all 3 today on a simulator at Golf Galaxy (I know they suck) but it gave me an idea of clubhead feel at least. Mizunos were very solid feeling. Nike VR splits were probably the most forgiving but seemed to be consistenly shorter than either of the other 2 clubs. The AP2s were okay but just didn't have the feel of the MP-52s. Is it just me or do the Nike VR splits have a clunky feel to them? I enjoyed hitting them but the MP-52s were just so much softer feeling than the VR splits. I have a Titleist/Nike demo day weekend and can't wait to see what different shafts can do for me.

Driver: 975D 9.5
3 Wood: 975F 14.5
2 Hybrid: 909H 19
Irons: 3-PW VR Split Cavity
Wedges: VR 52/10 & 56/10Putter: White Hot Tour #1Ball: ONE Platinum/Tour

I hit all 3 today on a simulator at Golf Galaxy (I know they suck) but it gave me an idea of clubhead feel at least. Mizunos were very solid feeling. Nike VR splits were probably the most forgiving but seemed to be consistenly shorter than either of the other 2 clubs. The AP2s were okay but just didn't have the feel of the MP-52s. Is it just me or do the Nike VR splits have a clunky feel to them? I enjoyed hitting them but the MP-52s were just so much softer feeling than the VR splits. I have a Titleist/Nike demo day weekend and can't wait to see what different shafts can do for me.

In short, it will be hard to find an iron that feels as good as a Mizuno, well Miura's, but I don't think you want to spend the much money.

IMO, get the Mizuno's; one of the best feeling irons, consistant, workable and reasonablly forgiving. If you are just going to chase the ball around on Saturdays with the boys, get the most inexpensive game improvment irons you can find. On the other hand, if you want to get better and actually get a golf game, get stuff you will grow into and I can't think of any thing better than Mizuno. And to make them really feel good, get the correct shaft and flex, it will make a world of difference

This thread is kinda funny to me because I just bought my new irons about a month ago & had it down to these three exact sets. In short, I agree with you on the feel of the Nike VR splits. Compared to the AP2 & MP52 I thought they felt, for lack of another word, cheap. I also thought they were the least forgiving of the three. I know that opinion will vary from person to person but I know I'm not completely nuts because Golf Magazine just came out with their annual equiptment review & listed the VR splits for low handicappers only, while the AP2 & MP52 were low to mid. You can't go wrong with either the AP2s or MP52s. I ultimately went with the MP52s because they just felt too good on solid contact. I thought forgiveness was about the same for both on slight mishits. You're still punished on poor swings with both. Should be irrelevant to your decision but I also think the Mizunos are better looking clubs. One piece of advice from my experience as I also went on the simulator at Golf Galaxy. Use it to get the feel of the club but don't put weight into anything else. My numbers were so off it was a joke. I don't know if those are better suited for drivers or what. I hit a 5 iron 185-190, the simulator had me hitting it 145. I told the employee this can't be right & he kept telling me it won't be exact but is within 10 yards. Riiiiiiigggghhhtttt
In My X Bag:

Driver: Sasquatch 460 Graffaloy NT Stiff 9.5°
3 Wood: X 15°
5 Wood: FT-5Irons: MP-52 Project X 5.5GW: Vokey 200 Series 52°SW: Wilson Staff R.Mendralla 56°LW: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Balls: Pro V1x

i would say mp 62's

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

I played for years with the Mizuno MP 32's before switching to Ping i5. Did not like them at all. I ended up giving my MP 32's to my son and I got a set of MP 52's. I love Mizuno's for their feel. I cannot compare the Titlelist or Nike irons because I have not hit them. I really don't think you would go wrong with either set you mentioned.

How do the 52's compare to the i5's?

In My Bag:

L5V 9.5*
X-Hot 3W
3H HybridIrons: Soon to Come X-Tour Forged 52* 56* 60* Wedges Detour 1

• 1 month later...
i am also looking at the mp 52s or the ap2's. I lack some distance in my irons due to my SS. I will be getting the irons in the Project X 5.5, which irons have more distance in them?

VR splits have been a great club for me...I actually picked up about 10-15 yds per club with them over the pro-combo's I was playing...if you have a club around with a demo day play a round with all of them and see what you like...the simulator will only give you so much feedback...but again the VR's have been great for me...I have played about 6 rounds since getting them and seen an improvement in my ball striking, trajectory and distance...the VR's also have great workability...

One piece of advice from my experience as I also went on the simulator at Golf Galaxy. Use it to get the feel of the club but don't put weight into anything else. My numbers were so off it was a joke. I don't know if those are better suited for drivers or what. I hit a 5 iron 185-190, the simulator had me hitting it 145. I told the employee this can't be right & he kept telling me it won't be exact but is within 10 yards. Riiiiiiigggghhhtttt

When I was looking for a driver I hopped in the GG sim for a little bit to test out a few clubs. It was telling me I was driving about 120 yards, lol...

What's the point of having a sim if it's either horribly calibrated or just flat out doesn't work?

Cobra GT stand bag
Cobra S9-1 F Speed
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Wedges 56, 60

I just went to a demo day and hit all 3 clubs a lot. Keep in mind this is me swing not you, but this is what I think.

Nike VR Blades: Sexy looking, great balance I loved how they set up. I hit 4, 6, 7, 8. I was striping the 7-8 every hit. 4 Iron I couldnt hit to save my life, my problem. Over all great look, great feel, I could hit a draw with them, I could fade... soldid 8/10

Nike Split Cavity: omg these things feel like a hunk of led on the end of a stick, felt dead, no distance, blah. wouldnt give you $100 for a set.

AP2's: Decent work ability, was able to hit a good fade, decent draw. Got the ball in the air almost effortlessly. Felt weird hitting them, almost felt like a cavity back/GI club. 6/10

Now I hit every set of Mizuno's they had 52, 62, 57, 67. 67's were by far my favorite with the 57's and 52's tied for 2nd.

the 57's and 52's are so much alike if you taped the back you never tell the diffrence. I think the 52's have a bit higher ball flight, I could work the ball really well, Sound, feel, were amazing. I dont like the cut out "dual muscle back" I went with the 57's. 52's Id give 9/10

I went with the 57's over 67's for 2 reasons, 1 I basically stole my clubs, 2 forgiveness. 67's felt almost as good as sex, but I'm not quite sure Im ready to play a pure blade.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

I would definitely not completely rule out the vr blade. I actually found the forgiveness of the split cav and the blade to be close enough in similarities, just harsher in feel on the miss hits (unless you have trouble getting the ball up). I find with a harsher feel, I could almost steer that clubhead at impact a little more and end up a little better. Mizuno is a great choice though, can't really go wrong there.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!