IGNORED

Do grips really affect play?

Note: This thread is 5468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New grips, and grips of the correct thickness to your hands really helps. In general, the larger your hand, the thicker the grip. Also, having very thick grips, does help remove wristiness out of the swing. Now, many amateurs, don't have enough wristiness in their swings, and may benefit from thinner grips.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Maybe I should look into larger grips. I'd never really thought about it before. I'm a pretty big guy. My hand measures 8" from middle finger to wrist and a XL glove is almost too tight till I get a few weeks of use on it.

The next time I regrip, I'm going to start with one JUMBO sized grip on an iron and see how I like it.

Going to midsize was outstanding....also wear an xl glove, also.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

It's as greg norman said in his better golf videos, 'the grip is your only connection to the club', so if you dont hold it right and your holding something that you cant grip (too slippery too big etc) your not going to have a smooth silky swing, so basicaly it's very important.

In My Colonial Cart Bag
Driver: Big Ben CS3 9.5 Neutral
Woods: F60 3&5
Irons: BH5 Offset Model
Wedges: Sureout WedgesPutter: Karsten Zing USABalls: Z

I had a quick question about grips too, i've played the same clubs since '96 (irons) and love them. never regripped, never reshafted. would it be wise to do either or both?

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Not saying you have to use Lamkin but here is a nice sizing chart. Also info on when & how to regrip.

http://www.lamkingrips.com/which-grip_wizard.php

I regrip my own clubs its pretty easy after your do it once. Or if your not comfortabe your local shop can do it for you. Proper grip size and new grips do make you clubs feel entierly better !

Not saying you have to use Lamkin but here is a nice sizing chart. Also info on when & how to regrip.

My hand juuuust breaks the large size they show. I'm going to go grip shopping this week.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

If your grip are old and slippery then you have a problem, otherwise soap and water works well to get grips back to their tacky feel.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I believe changing the grips when they are worn is money well spent. I use the Winn grips and they are not as durable as some I have used, so I change them pretty often. Cheap insurance to my way of thinking.

I had a quick question about grips too, i've played the same clubs since '96 (irons) and love them. never regripped, never reshafted. would it be wise to do either or both?

Yes. You should absolutely (at the very least) regrip these clubs. After 13 years with old grips, you'll feel like you're holding new clubs. Shafts, for the most part, are not usually a wear-out item. Unless your swing speed has changed substantially, they should be fine. If for some reason you need to regrip and reshaft, you'd probably be better off just buying some newer clubs.

Yes. You should absolutely (at the very least) regrip these clubs. After 13 years with old grips, you'll feel like you're holding new clubs.

I've had them since I was younger and swing quite a bit harder than I used to for obvious reasons (growing up, lifting, etc.) so i'm looking to upgrade the shafts to a set of project x's flighted 6.5 with GP multicomp. It works out to about 280 bucks for the upgrade. I love the heads on my irons, forgiving and accurate but i need more from them. I get the grooves routinely sharpened every year, from what my shop guy says they're the nicest 13 year old clubs he's ever seen. if anyone has other shaft opinions feel free to let me know. Thanks

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I've had them since I was younger and swing quite a bit harder than I used to for obvious reasons (growing up, lifting, etc.) so i'm looking to upgrade the shafts to a set of project x's flighted 6.5 with GP multicomp. It works out to about 280 bucks for the upgrade. I love the heads on my irons, forgiving and accurate but i need more from them. I get the grooves routinely sharpened every year, from what my shop guy says they're the nicest 13 year old clubs he's ever seen. if anyone has other shaft opinions feel free to let me know. Thanks

Sounds like your mind is made up. If it were me though, I'd try and demo some new irons before spending almost $300 upgrading 13 year old heads. Conditions aside, there have been some major technological changes over the past decade. You say they're "forgiving and accurate but I need more from them". What exactly are you looking for? Forgiving and accurate sounds like a pretty good combination to me. Where are you in PA? Good luck.!

I'm in the beautiful, but now new york-inhabitant-overrun poconos. I've hit a bunch of different clubs, new clevelands, pings, taylormade, calloways and for some reason, no matter what, they still hit the same as the ones i have distance wise, only more spin (short irons into the green). I was thinking that the shafts would be an inexpensive and solid investment since there isn't a single thing about the heads i'd change (aside from old-fashioned looks). How're the courses out in pittsburgh, out here they're immaculate already.

There are some really great courses around the burg. Oakmont didn't have the US Open for no reason. Pittsburgh Field Club, Latrobe CC, Laurel Valley, some of the courses i have heard that are great. Have also had the pleasure of playing Latrobe CC... however it was for a high school golf match and it was raining so i really didn't get to take in the beauty of it in it's best conditions.

Speed LD F Stiff Shaft 9.5*
3dx dc 2 ironwood 17*
3dx dc 4 ironwood 23*
710 AP1 5 - P
50.08 Spin Milled CC 56.11 Spin Milled CC 60.04 Spin Milled CCDual Force 2 Putter #1 Pro V1xForget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

i fear this thread may no longer be about grips... i'm sorry, what kind of irons did you say they were? and also, why not dynamic golds? if they're good enough for tiger then they ought to be good enough for the rest of us. and they are the third the cost of project x

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

Went to Golf Galaxy today and left frustrated. I know I need either a midsize(+1/6") or an oversize(+1/8"), but I can't decide which is the right one.

The oversize one had my left ring finger just touching the palm of my hand, and my middle finger was lacking about 1/8" from touching my palm.

The midsize had both fingers touching, the ring a little harder than the middle.
How do I pick the right size?

They both felt pretty good (was playing with the Lamkin Crossline cause it was all they had in that size), and I was amazed at how much the bigger grip inhibits too much wrist flip on the follow through.

I liked the feel of the cord grips, but standard was all I could find them in. Though Winn had a PCi Polymer/Cord hybrid in midsize that felt pretty good.

At almost $8 a pop 12 times I don't want to screw it up, lol.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

try regripping two similar irons, like a 6 and 7 iron since they usually have roughly the same feel swingwise...one with each grip. it'll cost an extra 8 bucks now but better to get it right the first time

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

New grips make a big difference. Try swinging a club with a 10 year old, dried up rubber grip. grip size also makes a difference in feel and weight. A heavy grip can change the swingweight of your clubs, altering the way they feel and perform.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Went to Golf Galaxy today and left frustrated. I know I need either a midsize(+1/6") or an oversize(+1/8"), but I can't decide which is the right one.

Man, I know exactly what you're going through, and it pretty much sucks! I'm in the exact same situation, and it seems like there's a much smaller selection of midsize grips than standard grips. After calling 2 different Nevada Bob's and a Edwin Watts, none of them have much of a selection besides the Crosslines or the Tour Velvets. I don't know about you, but I'd really hate to have them order something for me, and then I don't like them. On top of all that, I'd like my grips to at least somewhat agree with the way my clubs look, but the color selection on all of them pretty much stink. I'm sure the humidity in Houston is similar to how it is here in New Orleans, so the corded grips should be the way to go, but that makes the selection even smaller. If you end up deciding to regrip soon, please post the results, and I'll do the same (if I can find what I'm looking for). BTW, I'm assuming that's you in the picture? I'm glad to see I'm not the only person sporting Juliets on the course I've got the black Ducati Juliets, and I've had a few people ask me what they were because no one wears anything like them. When I say the word Ducati, they look at me like I'm nuts...

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Note: This thread is 5468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!