IGNORED

Big Break Prince Edward Island

kleinrider
Note: This thread is 5426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There must have been a side of him that we didn't see that the other golfers on the show must have because they clearly liked him despite him saying some pretty uncomplimentary things.

That is the thing with these reality type shows. They can edit them any way they want to and portray any person in any way they want to. I watch the Ultimate Fighter a lot and, being an MMA guy, I can't stand the way they portray the fighters on that show. They always have a good guy and a bad guy simply by editing....not because one of the coaches are bad.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On pure talent I think Alex is the best:)

Alex who?

Do you mean Aaron(the Ex-Marine, tall guy?)

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

OK I'm way late to the party here- saw my first episodes this week, but first impressions are

These guys suck! Who did these clowns have to sleep with to get on this show? And where do I sign up??

OK the wall was stupid. You'd never really have that severe of greenside shot, but the up & down elimination before that!? C'mon! Neither Brian or Blair could find the green with a map & flashlight.

I think I'll miss the comic genius that is Brian (although I don't think he knows he's being funny). No doubt the guy's a tool, but I'm sure I could get him to give me 3 or 4 a side for $100 a hole. And I didn't see anything that indicates he can handle pressure.

Of course then I'm conflicted because I'd have to spend 4-5 hours with him too! I don't know if i can watch beyond this though. Too frustrating.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Some of you guys crack me up. These guys do NOT suck. They haven't performed, but they do not suck. This is an entirely different kind of pressure. Its not like grinding away an entire round or tournament. Each shot means everything. Would touring pros handle the pressure better? Of course, that is the biggest reason they ARE on tour and these guys are on Big Break. Hence the reason for the show!! You can find results for many of these people on the internet. Its obvious they have game.

How many of you have started a tournament bogey bogey or worse only to settle in and start making shots? During my competitive days that happened a lot for me, especially bigger tournaments. Its tough to just go out and play 3 holes for all the marbles.

The comment about Brian not being a good putter because he 3-putted 1 time from 15 feet?? Give me a break! I saw Tiger do that at Quail Creek a couple weeks ago. His first putt hit the hole, he made a clutch putt on flop challenge and he drilled a couple testy 3 footers. He made more putts on this show than anyone else. Unfortunately he more opportunities.

The 1 thing I do not understand is the lovefest with the driver. This course appears to be very unforgiving, I am not sure why they feel the need to hit driver everywhere. And can anyone tell me why they were not playing the honor system. Why was Aaron teeing off first on 18 coming off a double?

I found it ironic listening to Brian say how Aaron choked with his wedge shot after he hits an awful approach shot from 150 yards. This was preceded by "nailing" his driver all of 250 yards to which he said "I just blocked it otherwise I could have smoked my drive past him." Hmmm, hmmm. To his credit, he did a great job getting out of that lie. His tantrums will be missed, though.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I LOVE the Big Break shows ... I didn't know they were OnDemand ... are they free OnDemand or do you have to pay to watch them?

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

• Administrator
Some of you guys crack me up. These guys do NOT suck. They haven't performed, but they do not suck. This is an entirely different kind of pressure. Its not like grinding away an entire round or tournament. Each shot means everything. Would touring pros handle the pressure better? Of course, that is the biggest reason they ARE on tour and these guys are on Big Break. Hence the reason for the show!!

That's where I'll have to disagree. The thought in previous years, with the exemptions, was that these guys (or gals) were just "one big break" away from being able to get on and stay on the PGA or LPGA Tour.

Instead, we get a bunch of people who can't even hack it on the Nationwide or Futures Tours. We have guys who aren't even playing well on the Hooters Tour and gals who gave up golf to be secretaries on Wall Street. It's this bizarre murky middle. They're not good enough OR bad enough to really be interesting. By "not bad enough" I mean I'd rather watch a bunch of scratch or single-digit golfers than these guys.
The 1 thing I do not understand is the lovefest with the driver. This course appears to be very unforgiving, I am not sure why they feel the need to hit driver everywhere. And can anyone tell me why they were not playing the honor system. Why was Aaron teeing off first on 18 coming off a double?

I didn't understand that one either. Or the bit with the driver. And I still don't think their yardages are at all accurate.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hasn't Derek played in several tour events already? Brian is there for his personality, I loved watching him. Aaron is there for his story, but obviously has some talent.

I actually haven't seen it prior to this year, so I can't really compare. Gerina and Blair have both impressed me on several occasions. I think they both have game. But yeah, when I look at the show and see how they perform challenges and think I may actually still be on the show. You may have a point. I don't think if I went out and played a round I would be within 10 strokes of any of them. I think as time wears on we are seeing the people that belong are becoming much more comfortable and confident.

Derek, Blair, Eugene and Gerina are starting to hit the shots with far greater consistency. They have to be the favorites.

Some of you guys crack me up. These guys do NOT suck. They haven't performed, but they do not suck. You can find results for many of these people on the internet. Its obvious they have game.

I'm not doubting their resumes. Their personal accomplishments were flashed up on the screen, but I'm with Erik on this... there's no way/no how that any of them are even

remotely close to getting a tour card of any kind. I know a few guys that have bounced back and forth from the show to the Nationwide/Nike/Hogan tour and have survived Q School a couple of times. In a casual round, these guys can hit every shot in the bag on command and they all have ungodly short games. They've had some success on tour, but not sustainable success. It's guys like this that need a break. The people I saw at Prince Edward island is more like watching Joes vs. Pros w/o the pros!

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I think a few of them are very good players. Eugene, Derek, and Gerinaseem to have great game. The rest seem like hacks.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Hacks??

Not a chance. I don't think its about having shots in the bag. Most single digit handicappers have the array of shots actually in the bag. Its about consistency and its hard to see how consistent these players are when each week they hit about 10-15 shots.

Gerina is hawt. that is all.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

Iowa Hawkeye was glad to see brian go. Iowa Hawkeye thinks Brian got on Iowa Hawkeye's nerves.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Gerina is hawt. that is all.

Most people seem to like Kim or Blair better but I'm a Gerina guy too. Kim just doesn't do it for me(not sure why) and Blair is too skinny.

Gerina has a great personality foremost and a great face and body to go with it.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I dunno, gerina is hot, but she's no Kim.

Brenda still cracks me up too. The accent and the sense of humor is sexxxxy.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

agree with all the Gerina comments...keeps me watching every week.

Sasquatch Tour Stand Bag

taylor made R9 460 - 10.5 | taylor made Burner Wood - 15 | callaway BB Heavenwood 3 Hybrid - 20 | nickent 3dx RC 4 Hybrid - 23 |mizuno MX300 5-PW | titleist SM Vokey - 50/54/58 | scotty cameron Fastback - 33'' | titleist NXT Tourhttp://www...

I want to take you to Las Vegas Awsi! I have no idea what the outcome is, but you read these episodes like a pro. So...who's going to win the US Open? ;) I feel like putting some money down.

You're taking me to Las Vegas?

I've spent too much time there, more than two decades, although departing during the unbearable 115 degree summers. Dry heat my a**. No idea about identifying the winner of the US Open. The odds are generally ripoff, no value, like all future book odds. But I'll certainly have bets on at least 10-25 head-to-head matchups, depending on the stats at the time. *** Anyway, I hated to see Brian go. I thought Golf Channel was unfair to him by editing his so-called Top 10 last week to make them look like general comments instead of directed at a specific area, like putting, as intended. But the end of the show was well done, Brian emotional and emphasizing his love for golf, and Derek's remark that Brian was one of the greatest dudes he's ever met. In Golfgal's interview with Brian this week, he displays disgust with Big Break producer TJ Hubbard, saying Hubbard interviewed him last every night, at 11 PM, and asked inappropriate questions. Brian called TJ a cocky young guy. I noted in this week's producer's blog on GolfChannel.com that TJ denounced Brian's golf resume in comparison to Derek and Aaron, the underwear duo, along with needling Brian about being out-driven by Gerina in the distance challenge a few episodes ago. That aspect, in particular, irks Brian, questions about his driving distance. If there were already sore spots in his opinion of TJ, I guarantee this week's producer's blog ripped them open, even though TJ called Brian the "most fun character" in Big Break history and wished him good luck. Brian also pointed out that he and Aaron played that 18th hole three times before a winner emerged, the first two halved with pars. I wondered about that, including last week when all 4 one-hole head-to-head challenges supposedly ended immediately. Made very little sense mathematically, although I suppose it could happen. At Ka'anapali we were told of many extended matchups that were edited for TV, like Christina and Sam playing the elimination hole 5 or 6 times before Christina sank a long birdie putt. This time it's been very quiet in terms of details like that. I'm worried Gerina might go home next. I know she is considered a favorite, if not THE favorite, but I've always questioned how far he will go. Her results on the Duramed Futures Tour did not get the expected bump out of Big Break. In fact, she played better beforehand. In Golfgal's interviews, Gerina says she changed coaches and her swing last October. Big Break was filmed in September. Does that make sense, winning 100 grand then revamping your swing? Gerina emphasizes it was a drastic change, that she doesn't recognize her old swing. Comments like that are always overstated but it sounds like it was hardly mere tinkering. Gerina did not provide many specifics about life minus Brian, when Gayle inquired about how the group changed once he was eliminated. I was left wondering if that was because she stuck around only one more day? Gerina said she developed sickness during filming, and sure enough, when I watched the replay of this week's episode I noticed the early signs of a head cold in one of her final snippets from confessional. When I hear something like that, mention of physical ailment, it's probably going to show up sooner, not later. This week's episode ended with the ridiculously detailed teaser that "one of the best will be eliminated." Did we really need that? How about, "One of the best faces elimination?" Now if it's an upstart versus a top tier player like Gerina or Derek, we know the underdog prevails. Brenda has been a vocal booster of Gerina's chances and ability. There are at least two short clips of Brenda in the previews and sneak peek saying she is shocked at the outcome, and "no good" regarding a shot. I'm not as certain at this prediction as last week with Brian, but many hints point toward a Gerina ouster. For one thing, the producer's blog several episodes ago included a strange highlight of Blair's 2-0 record head-to-head versus Gerina. I did a double take because the info wasn't remarkable, or seemingly necessary. You always have to ask yourself, "Why is that there?" The producers have all the ammo in terms of results, and human nature yanks toward making themselves look good. As soon as I saw that tidbit I rationalized it had to be Gerina vs. Blair again down the road, and Blair's advantage holds up again, among higher stakes. The Sneak Peek video indicates Blair vs. Gerina, with Blair apparently in the lead according to the dialog. But the wording below is very clever. It says, "Blair faces a familiar foe with elimination waiting in the balance." That doesn't necessarily mean it already is the elimination challenge. Stina is heard in the background saying, "The closer you get to that elimination challenge, the more the nerves come into play." So perhaps that is a preliminary immunity challenge. Regardless, I think Blair defeats Gerina. If truly, "one of the best is eliminated," that points to Gerina or Derek, who have consensus been considered the strongest. It could be Derek, since I think that comment about "another two grand" is a reference to last week and the touching Titleists, not next week's episode. They package it to look like Derek does it again. But with only six contestants remaining I'm not sure the Waste Management one-to-immunity aspect is still in play. They might have three head-to-head matchups and each winner gets two dimes, with the three losers heading to elimination. There's also a promo highlighting "overconfidence." That would lend itself to Derek. But if I had to isolate one as mostly likely to go, it would be "awesome" Gerina.

The Irish woman is getting on my nerves with her interviews and comments. I hope she hits the road soon.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Note: This thread is 5426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!