IGNORED

How should I practice my putting? I want to improve.

Note: This thread is 5469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a Oddessy white hot 2 ball putter. There is no line on my putter. I always feel like when Im aiming at a target, I only feel like I'm aiming at a general area of the target because I don't have a line on my putter. Anyone know a better way to add a line to my putter? Other than a ruler and a sharpy

The point of the two balls, is to line them up perfectly with the ball on the green when you hit it. They are your 'lines', and if you work at it, youll learn to love it.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

My 30 minute practice routine

20 putts from 3'
20 putts from 6'
20 putts from 15' to 30'

Then finish up with (I will restart this final drill if I miss more than 1 putt and a distance)...
3 putts from 9'
3 putts from 6'
3 putts from 12'
1 putt from 3'
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

Make sure that you are holding the putter in the life line of your hand instead of your fingers. The shaft and your arm should be in a straight line instead with a bend. This will help keep the putter connected with your shoulder and take your wrist and hands out of the putt.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Like the above poster said you should listen to the ball drop in the hole and make sure you don't try and catch a sly glimpse. Lifting you head early will make you pull the ball. This is especially important when you're practicing those three and four foot putts, because the distance is so short with three footers, if you're going to see it go in you have to lift your head really quickly after you hit the ball, if you're a little early you'll start missing and the bad habits will creep in.

Good suggestions guys.

I played this morning and tried the one hand bit on the practice green. To my surprise, it worked well. I really had a smooth stroke compared to normal. Made me question that my grip pressure was too high normally. During my play today, I held the putter more loosely. Distance control was off, but I definitely had a smoother stroke. No question about it. The putter went back and forth with less lateral movement (jerks) than normal. I also tried to put my hands against the putter instead of holding the grip with my fingers. I have large hands (6'6" 310 lbs) so I think that I have overlooked this in the past. Felt weird of course having the right palm on the grip. Also took the index finger and tucked it in. I had been running it down the grip. Maybe I need a bigger grip. Not sure. But it is fun to see some improvement. Thanks for the suggestions.

This is how I improved. When you go to the practice green use one hole that is on a slope and mark 4 spots in an x pattern. Start with 6 footers and go longer as you improve. Play 2 balls and give yourself two points for one putt, and one point for 2 putts. Go in a clockwise direction so the slopes change.

the short game equalizes everything
FT-5 Draw 10.5
NVG woods 3,5,7,9
Orlimar 4hy
Wilson DI-5 Irons 6-pwTurner wedge 51* bent to 53*TM TP 54* SW bent to 57*Wilson Kirk Currie #2 Mid MalletLaddie X

One or two things I always do when I am practice putting, is don't work on more then one thing at once you'll just confuse yourself. Next is when you practice actually read the putt and do your rountine. Like they always say pratice like you'd play .

What's In My Bag?

Ft-i Imix Fubuki 60g Stiff
R9 3 Wood
Burner 19 Hybrid Ap1 4-Pw 50 Mb Spin Milled 56 Spin Milled 60 RTG Chrome Studio Select Newport 2 Pro v1x

Good suggestions guys.

A bigger grip might actually help you if you have big hands. I read somewhere that a lot of pros prefer a bigger grip because it helps to keep the hands quiet during the stroke. Most new putters come with grips that I feel are way too skinny and I have pretty small hands.

I have a game to add. It is called safty draw back. Here is the game (best with a competitor). This is for makable putts, lets say within 25 feet. The idea is to train yourself to putt right distance. You putt the first putt from where ever. If it comes up short or doesn't get to the back of the cup, or more than 35 inches past (use you're putter as a guide) pull the second put back one putter away from the hole. If it is in the "safe" zone then putt from where is. Also any putt after the second putt must be drawn back away from the hole. Also, the max number of putts is five except on the last hole. Play 9 holes. This drill will punish you for not rolling putts the right speed and will reward you for rolling them the correct speed.

If I did a lousy job of explaining this, this is straight from pelz. He believes 17 inches past is the correct speed.

Brian

I noticed that there are a lot of posts on games and routines but not a lot on mechanics (hand placement and your posture).

One of the earlier posts mentioned putting the grip in the lifelines of your hands. This will help with keeping the putter on the same plane and will help with a more consistent stroke.

Play with your hand placement and see what works best for you. I've seen players have both hands open on the grip and other with palms perpendicular to the target.

Posture is another to watch. Make sure that you bend just enough where your putter is just barely touching the ground. A lot of problems start when you try to take the putter back and it gets caught on the ground. It also can cause you to ground the putter during your follow through.

When you practice, watch how your putter goes back and through. If it opens during your back stroke and closes on your follow-through, make sure your ball is where you blade makes contact right in the middle of your swing arc.

If you are more of a pendullum stroke, ball placement is also critical here.

Pick a spot about 2-3 inches in front of the ball on your target line and stroke the putter down that line, still keeping your head down.

My putting has improved vastly over the winter to the point where I am proud of that aspect of my game. They key to building a great putting stroke is the same as any other golf club swing, to have a consistent, repeatable stroke. You must hit the ball in the sweet spot of the putter, you must know what way your putting line points, you must swing with a set tempo. If you're having problems with alignment, it's probably in your posture, but that should also effect your consistent stroke. Routine is also stated as very important. Well, I've managed to make this sound pretty complex, but here's my situation to make it better. I tend to push or pull putts towards the hole and mess up whatever line I've decided on and thrown away any good read I've made on the green. To combat that, I've drawn a line on my ball. It didn't work in the past but I started lining it up and it worked. Some people would rather spot a close part of the green to aim straight at, but same idea. You need to find a line and commit to it. Stroke on that line. Hit in that direction, no matter where you think the hole is. Compensation on the putting green leads to another stroke. Never hesitate. Commit. If you miss, so what, you made a good stroke, you followed your line, it was just not aiming correctly, and that is fixed easly and quickly.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just an average putter but want to make this my strong suite. Any good putters out there? Any advice you can offer? Dvds or books that gave you some insights? And practice drills? I go out and make balls, but don't have any real method to my practice. I play 9 ball the same way. Likely a reason why I am only average at both:) ha ha...

Don't do any of these drills or practice routines. Spend an hour a day putting from various distances with what ever you feel comfortable and you will gain confidence. Don't waste money changing putters and don't spend more than 2 putts on the same hole. If you miss it big deal... Don't lower your confidence by doing it over and over. Move on to the next hole!

Missing 4-5 footers is 100% lack of confidence in yourself. With time and a lot of non-boring practice you will find yourself very confident to 1 putt everything...

I am big headed and i love it. Try it yourself and see how much your game improves.

"The difference between impossible and the possible lies in a persons determination" - Tommy Lasorda
"It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot
In my bag:Ball: I always use Pro V1Driver: ...

Try not grounding your putter, basically hovering it above the ground behind the ball. Practice your short putts, over and over and over. Square your grip up, both palms facing each other. This lets' your hand work together, and not work against each other. The simplest way to being a better putter...Hit your iron shots closer!

Driver: TaylorMade r7 460 / 11.5 degrees
Irons: Titleist 822 OS (4, 5, 6)  Titleist 962 (7, 8, 9, P, G)
Putter: Tear Drop
Ball: Precept Laddie
Wedges: Golfsmith Snake Eyes 56 degrees / 60 degrees

18 Hole Low:  67   /  9 Hole Low:  31

And while your at it why don't you try putting left handed :)

I am big headed and i love it. Try it yourself and see how much your game improves.

"The difference between impossible and the possible lies in a persons determination" - Tommy Lasorda
"It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot
In my bag:Ball: I always use Pro V1Driver: ...

Played this morning and the one thing that helped the most was using less grip pressure. In hindsight, it appears that I usually hold the putter way too tightly. The stroke was much smoother and I feel like I am onto something good here. Distance control was off a bit, but the accuracy was sure better. Sank several 6-8 footers (not normal for me) and the lighter grip, along with putting the putter more in my hands rather than the fingers, really made a difference. Thanks for the tips and suggestions here. I am putting some of them to good use.

• 3 weeks later...
I believe to improve your putting you must do the following:

1) make sure that your mechanics of putting is correct
2) practice putting from 3 feet and make 30 putts in a row
3) practice your lag putting from 10, 20, 30 feet so that you can control your distances during a round and leave you putt within a 3 foot circle from long putts.

Some mechanics tips
a) grip pressure light and hold the putter grip in the life line and not the finger tips of your leading hand
b) putt with shoulders and not with your hands or wrist and holding the y in your putting stroke
c) distance control with the back stroke length an equal forward stroke
d) make solid contact with the ball consistently
e) be confident with putting and without any negative thoughts or distractions
f) have a pre-putting routine and stick with it everytime you putt
g) dont be afraid to try different things when you are practicing putting
h) I recently started to stand taller when I putt and my hands are extended and I found that this help keep my wrist and hands out of the stroke and I am putting more with my shoulders
I) Practice everyday even for a few minutes to improve your stroke and build confidence

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!