IGNORED

100 yards and in

tmf9
Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks for all the tips, my course managment can be bad sometimes, I've only been playing a year and my uncle has pretty much been my coach because there really isn't a good pro around. He says short game is all feel so he tells me to just practice and it will eventually become natural but it seems it rarely does. Yes most of the time I will be 100 yards and in because of a short par 4 but im not hitting a long iron off the tee because my short game is that bad, I rather learn how to hit a 50 yard shot.

I'm all for learning the 50-yard shot. I'm very happy that I learned it. But until you learn it, might I suggest avoiding the shot

while on the course ? The course, especially in rounds where you keep score, is not the place for learning.
I don't lay up because when I catch one it goes 275-280 but I average around 250. I'm young and my thick head couldn't live hitting long irons on drivable par 4's.

Yeah, I understand this fully.

This makes perfect sense and I am often tempted to do this. The issue for me is that for this to work I need to hit the fairway with the lay-up drive.

Well, knowing those distances can also help you when you miss the fairway. If you need to lay-up, it's nice to lay up in such a way that you'll be on the green two shots later (lay-up, follow-up). So even if you miss the fairway and have to regroup, this can help.

I'll try it the next time out (Friday) for the whole round and see how I score.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This used to be a major problem for me as well, but is now a strength. However, problems in this region are like many in golf, they can't easily be diagnosed over the internet. I'll tell you three things I did that made my 100 yards and in game go from poor to very good.

1) Find a good SW...What is good? One that you really like
2) Read "The Impact Zone"...Specifically moving your swing bottom forward.
3) Practice the shot frequently. Most of the shots I hit on the range are with a SW or PW. There are so many components that go into a shot from that distance that it takes just as much feel as anything. A driver is easier in my opinion to get right, simply because you have no distance or turf factor.
4) Make sure you are A) Getting your weight forward, and not staying on your back foot. and B) sweeping through the ball from the inside and not attacking it too vertically. I often work on getting a good hip turn which helps get the club through the ball.

Hope this helps, it certainly helped me.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I was in the same sort of boat... I would go to the range and practice my mid-long irons and driver the most. But when it comes down to it, how many times do I hit a 4 iron per round? Maybe 2 or 3. Whereas I would probably average 10-12 times with my 56.

Now I work mostly on short irons (SW-9) and have my distances dialed (aim is another matter entirely!)

Driver: TM TP460
3W: TM Burner Superfast

5W: TM Burner Superfast
4-9: TM MC
48: CG14
52: Nike VR

56: CG16

Putter: Ping Gnome

I was in the same sort of boat... I would go to the range and practice my mid-long irons and driver the most. But when it comes down to it, how many times do I hit a 4 iron per round? Maybe 2 or 3. Whereas I would probably average 10-12 times with my 56.

yeah sadly i practice my driver and long irons the most, guess i know better now!

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

yeah sadly i practice my driver and long irons the most, guess i know better now!

Drive for show, putt for dough... as the saying goes.

Drive for show, putt for dough... as the saying goes.

Yeah I'm not that bad of a putter I just suck at reading greens, but I guess that comes from experience

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

It's not supposed to be easy grasshopper. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of an accomplishment would it?

It will come if you keep at it

Thanks for all the tips, my course managment can be bad sometimes, I've only been playing a year and my uncle has pretty much been my coach because there really isn't a good pro around. He says short game is all feel so he tells me to just practice and it will eventually become natural but it seems it rarely does. Yes most of the time I will be 100 yards and in because of a short par 4 but im not hitting a long iron off the tee because my short game is that bad, I rather learn how to hit a 50 yard shot. I don't lay up because when I catch one it goes 275-280 but I average around 250. I'm young and my thick head couldn't live hitting long irons on drivable par 4's.

Sure fire way to improve from 60 and in. Hit one handed shots (on the practice range) with your left hand only...with a sand wedge. Hit it till it's consistent, you will groove an incredible path and be able to hit these shots by feel. You will notice that the path will be a little inside....and after a while you will be focusing on the lower inside quarter of the ball. Try it out for 5 practice sessions straight.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Sure fire way to improve from 60 and in. Hit one handed shots (on the practice range) with your left hand only...with a sand wedge. Hit it till it's consistent, you will groove an incredible path and be able to hit these shots by feel. You will notice that the path will be a little inside....and after a while you will be focusing on the lower inside quarter of the ball.

Saw a John Daly "Playing Lessons" where he was doing that exact drill. Such great touch with his short irons.

I use my wedges inside 100 yards. 52º, 56º and 60º, depending on lie, obstacles, slopes etc. I don't get it pin high all the time, but usually within 4-5 meters.

I mostly play on feel with my wedges.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have not read all the posts... yet, but the biggest problem I see with people that have trouble with pitching and chipping is a breakdown of fundamentals and taking too big of a swing for such a short shot.

Check your set up making sure your stance is a little open to the target line, stand a little closer to the ball with it farther back in your stance and having a more narrow stance. Point the club face where you want the ball to go (opening the face a smig). Now for the big secret. Make sure your follow through is longer than your backswing. You don't have to take a huge swing to hit the ball 20 yards. Learn to take the club back 1/2 way, then make the follow through longer. That helps make sure you are accelerating through the ball. One more thing... keep the lower body pretty still. I try to keep my weight a little more on my right side to make I don't slide laterally and hit the ball a little thin.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!