IGNORED

"Secrets of the Short Game" by Phil Mickelson

iacas
Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just got mine from Amazon and have watched it a couple of times. I think it is a great video and Phil does a great job. The one thing I think he does not address is how to control distance on Pitches. Not Chip! As we all know this is mostly a feel thing. He does not like the clock method for chipping or pitching. For Chipping I agree with this but for a pitch there is nothing wrong with the clock method as long as you are still swinging full from whatever position you stop your backswing. On his demos of pitching he does not address at all how he is controlling his distance. I'm talking about the Pitches outside of 30 yards.

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got mine from Amazon and have watched it a couple of times. I think it is a great video and Phil does a great job. The one thing I think he does not address is how to control distance on Pitches. Not Chip! As we all know this is mostly a feel thing. He does not like the clock method for chipping or pitching. For Chipping I agree with this but for a pitch there is nothing wrong with the clock method as long as you are still swinging full from whatever position you stop your backswing. On his demos of pitching he does not address at all how he is controlling his distance. I'm talking about the Pitches outside of 30 yards.

you're right he doesn't... but it didn't bother me as I too am a feel player and distance control is one of the best parts of my game, even from 30-70 yards. I thought the DVD was very wel done and I thought the putting was suprisingly good. I would love to go practice right now, it's just too damned cold.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

We got this video for Christmas. Haven't taken a look yet.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

• 2 weeks later...
have not watched all of the DVD yet but so far so good. Its much more simple than i expected but I do feel he lacks small details that many want to hear. I do think the method works but you have to make little adjustments to fit your own style.

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3
Burner 3wood XLS Hi-Bore 10.5 Driver Putter On the feet Burner Balls

• 1 month later...
I found the putting instruction very good because, as a lefty, I've never seen basic putting fundamentals displayed very simply by a lefty before. It was nice. Helped me a lot. I picked up the game again last year after a ten-year 'hiatus' and putting is coming more slowly than the rest of it.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

This is a great dvd. I would highly reccommend watching these videos, and if you have netflix you can grab it from them. His way of pitching is very usefull once you get the hang of it, the hardest part is keeping the same follow-through speed throughout every shot.

Inside the Purelight stand bag
Driver 09' Tour Burner 10.5*
Wood Diablo edge 3 wood
Hybrids rescue 3 and 4
Irons Burner Plus 5-PWWedges CG15 52* 56* 60*Putter White Hot #1

• 2 weeks later...
I love an instructional DVD (Leadbetter, Simon Holmes to name just a couple), but never have I seen a presenter/instructor with so much enthusiasm as Phil! My putting's pretty solid already so I didn't want to mess with it too much, but I've started using his 3-foot and 6-foot drills, and adopting the "hinge and hold" for my chipping and so far it's been pretty good! Let's face it, putting/chipping practice isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but I really think PM's enthusiasm has rubbed off on me a bit and has got me a little bit more focussed around the greens. I feel like anything inside 3 foot now is a dead-cert.

There's also a bonus section where he does a couple of trick shots - backwards over the head, and then hitting two balls from the bunker simultaneously. The guy's hilarious. Worth every penny, if you ask me.

Motocaddy S3
MX700 10.5° Driver; Aldila VS Proto 65R
MX700 5W; Aldila VS Proto 85R
MX700 20°, 23°; Exsar HS4R
MX300 5-PW; FST KBS Tour R MP-T 51°, 56°, 60°; Dynalite XP Gold S300Bettinardi BlackCarbon BC1Bridgestone e6+ balls

phil sounds like a big kid. his instruction is great, but he just seems too chipper, or something. like when he's talking about chipping from the rough and knocks the last ball into the hole. he seems like a good enough guy, just a bit annoying.

I very much enjoyed Phil's instruction. I'm glad he eschews the clockface method of controlling the club. Personally I'd found that unreliable because my club head speed was never consistant enough going through impact. I think the varying lengths of the backswing is an effect of good players controlling distance, not a cause that should be copied.

Having said the above, I'm surprised Phil works with Dave Pelz on his short game, given their fundamental differences.

If I had one gripe with the system, it would be that it should be named "Hinge and... keep the hands in front of the club head during impact, maintaining a flat left wrist". But that's not so catchy ;)

Putter - TaylorMade Rossa Corza Ghost
Wedges - Titleist Vokey Oil Can; 50/08, 54/14, 58/04
Irons - Mizuno MP53 4-PW
Hybrid - Mizuno MP CLK 3 iron
Rangefinder - Bushnell Tour V2Ball - Pro V1s / Srixon Z Star Yellow

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it might be fun to post a few clips from this DVD on the thread. I haven't seen the full movie, but from what I can gather just from these clips, it looks well made. These just drive the flat left wrist at impact fundamental further into my mind. Not at all a bad thing.

EDIT: Upon further review, the Lob Shot clip probably isn't from the DVD. Sorry about that.

Chipping from the rough

The Lob Shot

Bunker Play

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
I am getting the DVD's tomorrow & having read the comments on here I cant wait to view them. I have always loved the short game esp. from 50 yards & in & my wedges & putter have always been my favourite clubs so any advice from Lefty will be awesome I hope!!

What's in my Titleist RC10 Cart Bag? Driver: Nike Sasquatch Sumo Square 5900 10.5* Aldila VS Proto 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Nike SQ Mach Speed 15* Hybrid: Nike 5H Ignite 23*
Irons: Nike Ignite 4i-Sw Wedges: Vokey Design 252*-08 / Oil Can Spin Milled 60*-08
Putter: Odyssey White Ice 2Ball CS 34"...

It's a great DVD for the pitching and chipping etc.You may or may not agree with his views on putting, eye position over the ball etc.You forgot his backwards shot Jetfan!

And woters, I thought the dvd was region 1 only?I had to procure it by alternative means...

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

And woters, I thought the dvd was region 1 only?I had to procure it by alternative means...

I searched high and low to try and find a non-R1 copy and finally found a guy on eBay selling the Dutch R2 version. I have no idea why the only European release seems to be Dutch. I was skeptical, but the DVDs themselves are in full English (with optional Dutch subtitles) and work perfectly on my non multi-region PS3. All looks absolutely legit to me (and I'm a bit of a fake-DVD snob, so I wouldn't settle for anything less!).

Motocaddy S3
MX700 10.5° Driver; Aldila VS Proto 65R
MX700 5W; Aldila VS Proto 85R
MX700 20°, 23°; Exsar HS4R
MX300 5-PW; FST KBS Tour R MP-T 51°, 56°, 60°; Dynalite XP Gold S300Bettinardi BlackCarbon BC1Bridgestone e6+ balls

I searched high and low to try and find a non-R1 copy and finally found a guy on eBay selling the Dutch R2 version. I have no idea why the only European release seems to be Dutch. I was skeptical, but the DVDs themselves are in full English (with optional Dutch subtitles) and work perfectly on my non multi-region PS3. All looks absolutely legit to me (and I'm a bit of a fake-DVD snob, so I wouldn't settle for anything less!).

Strange one isn't it.Phil's guys missed an opportunity not distributing it in Europe.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Aha ha! The joys of a multiregional DVD player strike again!!

I have watched the first disc & very impressed with it. Happy I 95% use that hinge/hold thing already...not too sure about his putting ideas tho about apex at impact...hmmm, or the eyes behind & inside, or the forward press lol The stopping it softly section is utterly superb i really cant wait to try that out later today!!

What's in my Titleist RC10 Cart Bag? Driver: Nike Sasquatch Sumo Square 5900 10.5* Aldila VS Proto 65 stiff shaft
Irons: Nike Ignite 4i-Sw Wedges: Vokey Design 252*-08 / Oil Can Spin Milled 60*-08

I would highly recommend this one, and especially since you can pick it up on Netflix. Just watched it tonight, so I haven't had a chance to see if his ideas work for me, but its entertaining in any event. The backwards shot was worth the price alone!

G15 9.0° Driver
G15 15.5º 3 Wood
G15 23° Hybrid
G5 Irons
Spin Milled 52.08°, 56.08° & 60.10° Wedges White Ice 2 Ball Putter NXT Golf Balls

Well after reading this thread I decided to go ahead and get this video. The one part of my game that i have no confidence in is my short game. Maybe this is the key for me to break 90. I have been hitting my irons and even my driver pretty decent but 50 yards in I pretty much suck.

OK really very impressed with the around the green stuff, really helping ,I|'m now getting more than I ever thought possible out of my Vokey wedges but still undecided about the putting.

Im using the YES squared triangle putting aid to try Phil's putting technique out, cant really day if the forward press is helping or not, will need several proper rounds out on the course to see. I think on straight putts a slight forward press DOES help, not totally swayed on 30/40 lag putts yet...

Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!