IGNORED

Tiger too muscular?

Donnie_Brasco
Note: This thread is 5460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You can look to other sports to see examples of athletes filling out when they're in their prime - Ken Griffey Jr. and Barry Sanders to name a couple.

Or Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire.

Opps, sorry I couldn't help myself (this was another topic being bandied about at the course this morning - that steroids are prescribed for knee injuries - something about which I have no clue, but it was still good for a laugh)...

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire.

Ugh, how many times do we have to come back to steroids. Notice how I conveniently left them out of my original post

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Ugh, how many times do we have to come back to steroids. Notice how I conveniently left them out of my original post

I thought I made it obvious that my comment was tounge in cheek and was specifically directed to the post I quoted, but the fact is such alegations aren't exactly perposterous to make. I don't believe that Tiger is taking performance enhancing drugs, because anyone could achieve the results he has with a little determination and dedication in the gym, but it's still within the realm of possibilities for the allegation to be true. If such claims/allegations continue to arise it would be easy enough for them to be put to rest...

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

• Administrator
Opps, sorry I couldn't help myself (this was another topic being bandied about at the course this morning - that steroids are prescribed for knee injuries - something about which I have no clue, but it was still good for a laugh)...

Tiger has been drug tested at least twice by the PGA Tour.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger has been drug tested at least twice by the PGA Tour.

While I don't believe Tiger is on PEs, your disclosure doesn't exactly support much for reasons too numerous to count.

Top cyclists get tested about 3x a month in and out of competition. There are legions of guys that have passed hundreds of test before slipping up once. You could also subscribe to the conspiracy theory that even if Tiger tested positive for every PE known to man, the PGA may push it under the rug. T

I haven't been watching televised golf on the weekdays and missed some tournaments, but has anyone talked about whether how his swing changed post surgery? It looks like he's holding back a bit - Mickelson was outdriving him by a couple of clubs during the round they played together in the Masters. It also looks like he's still straightening the left leg. Maybe less, to a degree, but if Faldo, Miller or Kostis talked about it, I missed it.

I can't imagine Woods getting rid of that completely. Charles Howell still straightens the right leg at the top of the swing, Furyk still has the loop though less pronounced and Garcia still has that super lag move, though also less pronounced.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
While I don't believe Tiger is on PEs, your disclosure doesn't exactly support much for reasons too numerous to count.

And your belief is even more ridiculous.

Occam's Razor would suggest that Tiger's clean. Simplest explanation. He's not an idiot.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

don't be silly about this..

there is still no pure fire test for hgh, which is the most abused PE in all of sports..

and im guessing golfs drug testing program is no were near as rigorous as nfl, mlb, nba, ect.. that's not even debatable.

And yes when you have knee surgery you will be prescribed, some form of steroid, the ones i was prescribed was a z pack, this is actually used for many types of injuries and illnesses.

not saying he is or isnt, but no one person should presume either way..

becasue yo simply don't know..

who though rafeal palmero was doping, manny, a rod, chuck knoblock..

so don't go assuming you know that when you dont..

and 2 drug tests? really? 2? in 10 years?

• Administrator
don't be silly about this..

OK. But can you not be?

there is still no pure fire test for hgh, which is the most abused PE in all of sports..

So you're contending that Tiger Woods dopes up on HGH?

and im guessing golfs drug testing program is no were near as rigorous as nfl, mlb, nba, ect.. that's not even debatable.

Why guess? The information is widely and readily available. Last time I checked, they're using the same company and the same protocols as those other sports.

not saying he is or isnt, but no one person should presume either way..

I'm quite confident with my position on this.

who though rafeal palmero was doping, manny, a rod, chuck knoblock..

Uhm... ::raises hand::

and 2 drug tests? really? 2? in 10 years?

Uhm, in the past five months. Duh.

Tigers arms get so big he can't use the restroom yeah then maybe look into it. As the most dominate athleate in a long time if for ever, I am sure he works out. I am sure that monday-wed and every morning or night all the other times he works out at some point or another. They do the drug test in every sport. nascar even enforces it. I am sure with how good woods is I am sure that they test him often enough.

Bag: Ogio
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 gold stiff
3W: Pro Select 15*
Irons: Pro Select 3-PW
Wedge:Adams Tom Watson set GW, SW, LWPutter: Cleveland VP 1balls: E6+ or Srixonshoes: Adidas powerband"Stop looking at my ears and play!"Home course. Antler Creek; tees; Black 77.5/150, Gold...

Michael Breed had Tiger's swing from 2000 and this past weekend on The Golf Fix last night and it looks to be as simple as Tiger not keeping his spine angle. He looks a shade bigger to me but I am not sure this is the cause of his problems.

More than a shade bigger. I saw Tiger at Doral and his physique was a big topic among spectators as early as Thursday morning at the range.

IMO, he's overdone it to the detriment of his game, although I can't offer anything specific or useful, to use a Monty term. Call it pure instincts but I've learned to trust them. Tiger is 6-1 or a shade lower. I stood within two feet of him at the Las Vegas event in the late '90s and took note that he was 2.5 to 3 inches shorter than myself. I'm a touch below 6-4. He's certainly more legit at his listed height than most athletes I've met or seen in person, particularly boxers or basketball players. Well, TV or movie celebrities are more stunningly short but they don't count since no one hears their height called out all the time. I almost fall over in hysterics every time I see Chuck Norris in person in Las Vegas. How can you be a tough guy legend and no taller than a table? *** That Michael Breed side by side comparison was fascinating. Someone should make it available on YouTube. Incredibly explosive athletic ability at age 24. Really demonstrated how he's naturally declined in that area, regardless of the specifics of his golf swing. Breed focused on spine angle but there were marked differences throughout. For one thing, Tiger is much closer to the ball now in his long game. The 2000 swing was stunning for all the room he had, great extension. Equated to more margin for error, IMO. Underneath and through the ball, not fighting to time it perfectly at the ball. At least that's a simple description. Tiger has more margin for error than any athlete I've ever seen, other than his tee shots when he forces the downswing. You can sense it immediately at the top of his swing. In recent years I've thought he was too cramped, and when he gets hurried that leads to the late blocks off the tee. Was Tiger still using 43.5 driver in 2000? If so, and he was standing further away plus using a shorter shaft, then no wonder last night's side by side was so dramatically different. I don't know why Tiger doesn't return to the shorter driver. He balks at using 3 wood only but a 43.5 driver would accomplish much of the same thing. Even in steel. He won't outdrive Phil and others at 43.5 but that's irrelevant. In the fairway he'll scare them off the leaderboard.

It still amazes me that topics like this just go on and on.

Tiger is the worlds number 1 golfer, noone on this forum is better or challenging him for that position, so why do so many they believe they know how to do it better?

Tiger has one of the best coaches in the world, is anyone here a coach of that caliber or higher?

Tiger has personal trainers and nutritionists, clearly this is a waste of money, he should just post on the sand trap, he'd get far better advice!

OK I'm being a bit facetious, but do you see where I am coming from?

He should get lap band surgery. That will fix things for him.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

there is a reason golfers and tennis players don't bulk up, these sports are the most comparable. everyone's body is also very different, everyone's tendons react differently to bulking them up.. some naturally tighten no matter what stretching program you're on.. no matter the sport you play, you can have too much bulk muscle, and tiger is dangerously close to being there..

A couple things I don't understand: 1. How are golf and tennis comparable? Tennis involves sprinting and added weight slows you down usually. That's why they don't bulk up. 2. Who in their right mind would stretch a tendon? I'm pretty sure you should never stretch a tendon or ligament because unlike muscle, they don't unstretch.

I don't think he's "too strong" or "too muscular." I think his timing is off. I think his plane's a bit off.

Anyone else think that Tiger is coming way inside off the tee? He looks like he drops the club way too far inside and then he misses right.

Why do you think being more bulky inhibits flexibility?

I have to agree with Donnie here. Generally, the more weight you put on, the less flexibility you have.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

This post is funny. Tiger isn't too big, he hasn't used HGH or steriods. He has worked super hard for 10 years with the best trainers and nutritionist in the world. His timing is off, but yet he has already won this year.

He will be the number one player in the world for at least the next five years and break every record.

He will win a major the year.

Brian

I dont even see how steroids would even help a golfer...But anyway, i see a similar issue in tiger in what im going through with my swing at the moment. By design or fault, tigers swing is much more flat that what it used to be. Ive flattened my swing by design over the last few months and ive really struggled with fanning the ball off to the right, and hooking or putting too much draw on my driver. Maybe tiger just needs to get his lie angles checked at the local golf galaxy...

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Didn't Jack Nicklaus go through like an 11 month stretch with no wins or something?? I wonder if everyone was picking him apart then too?

Originally Posted by nevets88 I haven't been watching televised golf on the weekdays and missed some tournaments, but has anyone talked about whether how his swing changed post surgery? It looks like he's holding back a bit - Mickelson was outdriving him by a couple of clubs during the round they played together in the Masters. It also looks like he's still straightening the left leg. Maybe less, to a degree, but if Faldo, Miller or Kostis talked about it, I missed it. I can't imagine Woods getting rid of that completely. Charles Howell still straightens the right leg at the top of the swing, Furyk still has the loop though less pronounced and Garcia still has that super lag move, though also less pronounced.

Tiger has stated that he hasn't gotten his distance back yet. I'm sure it will come.

Originally Posted by denver_nuggs_15 I have to agree with Donnie here. Generally, the more weight you put on, the less flexibility you have.

I disagree. I have been into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and MMA for a while now. Guys in MMA who are well versed in BJJ have gained weight throughout the years and not lost any flexibility. Frank Mir is a 263lb HW in the UFC and has great flexibility. You can gain weight and not lose flexibility. If you just bulk up with no work on your flexibility, sure you will get tight. but if you take flexibility into consideration while you are lifting heavy weight, then you will not lose it. Look at Villegas...he has gained muscle mass since he was younger and not lost flexibility.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 5460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!