IGNORED

Do you talk to yourself????

Mallet
Note: This thread is 5456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

type "negative self talk" into google and read about it.

I still do it but I try and turn it into a constructive thought.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, I talk to myself and so do most of my friends. When you start getting answers to your questions from yourself then it time for some proffesional help.

My driver and I have a running dialogue going this season. So far, he's winning the argument, but he's starting to see my point of view on things. (Namely, the benefits of playing from the fairway vs behind a tree in the right hand rough).

My putter was just being a dick about it and not conceding any points in our ongoing debate about not 3 putting, so he's on timeout in the trunk for now.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

Mama always said, " you can talk to yourself all you want, just dont answer back"

but if i play by myself, there are 2 scenarios lol

1. perfect shots, long putts, chip ins, Best round yet. " O great no one will ever believe this"

2. if i start sucking real bad, launching it over the green, hitting a putt to long, too short, just playing horribly, i use some pretty bad language its funny cause i direct it at the ball like i want to hurt its feelings lol

ill grab it real hard like and mutter some words HAHA, but then i get happy again and continue on till it happens again =]

r7 draw driver 9.5* stiff shaft
Big bertha 06 irons, 4-sw
56*vokey spin milled 10*bounce
Victoria ;)
tp black balls cart bagJack nicklaus Golden Bear 52* and 60* wedgesWalter hagen: 3 wood 5 wood 4 hybrid stiff shaft"I don't say my golf game is bad, but if I grew tomatoes they'd come up sliced."www...

I talk to myself, both in golf and otherwise. Most of the time, I'm the only person whose answers I'll accept anyway

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

most of my on course talking is directed at trying to sweet talk my golf ball in mid flight lol... but i do catch myself quite often relaying information back to myself on what i need to correct or should keep doing

While most talk about visualization, I find that in my pre-shot routine I need to have some audiolizations to help my visualization. While standing behind the ball I talk to myself about the ball flight, trajectory, landing area and the swing that makes it. Seems I can't really do it silently.

Sometimes after a few bad swings I give myself a mini pep talk, focusing on several swing ideas and running through them so I can be target focused on my actual swings.

If anyone ever says anything to me about speaking to myself during the round I just start refering to myself in third person regularly to really throw them for a loop.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

When I play by myself I have the announcer going in my head, pretending to be leading or coming from behind. It's a fun game to keep myself focused and put a bit of pressure on myself.

"Cinderella story... Outta nowhere... A former greenskeeper........."

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Dude, I'm my own caddy, shrink, and commentator. I think it's more common than people let on.

Yup.....freaks people out sometimes...playing partners will laugh a my self abusive comments....."Arghhhh.....you bonehead" being one of my more common shots.

It freaked out one of my playing partners during my best recent round. We were both playing well on a tough course....he hit a long dive but played wide right....very safe from the left fairway bunker...but put himself further from the green. I took an aggressive approach and rolled into the bunker. He hit his long iron and rolled up a bit short right of the green. He then parked the golf cart right beside the bunker....5 ft beside my ball and said....."See there....that right there (pointing to my ball) is why I laced mine out wide". He took a sip of his drink and grinned at me. I lasered my shot....and talked myself through the shot plan....he was sitting so close that every word must have been easily overheard...."178 to the pin.....gotta clear this lip but take it out right edge of green and draw it back....avoid the monster left greenside bunker......hmmmm.....easy shot.....gotta be a smooth 4hybrid with slight draw....nice and smooth...full follow through.....smooth it". The result was a perfectly executed shot that had me giving a subtle fist pump. It freaked him out that I saw the shot....planned it.....and pulled it off as planned. I went on to beat him by 6 strokes....first time I ever beat him. (he thouroughly whooped me by 8 strokes our next round a week later) Talking yourself through it can ease your nerves and fill you head with lots of "do" thoughts and keeps you in the moment....one shot at a time.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

when I played the Open qualifier, I liked having a caddy because it made it appear that I was talking to him instead of myself. I talk my self through almost every shot. Sometimes its out loud, sometimes it is in my head where no one else can hear. When I'm really in the zone I'll say every other word I'm thinking to myself. My playing partners are relentless about giving me a hard time about it. Its pretty funny

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I can't play a round without talking to myself. I do that to calm myself down..especially in a pressure situation. And when I hit a bad shot....man, I let myself have it!!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I can't play a round without talking to myself. I do that to calm myself down..especially in a pressure situation. And when I hit a bad shot....man, I let myself have it!!

I think the key for me is to quiet the voices in my head (no, we are not schizophrenic) since they are usually saying bad things. I play very well when it is just me, the ball, the course and my clubs.

- Shane

i talk to myself alot and when a good shot comes i like to talk my confidence up and when a bad shot comes i try to keep my confidence up but it never works cause i always end up swearing under my breath or something which doesnt really help.

If I hit it right, it's a slice. If I hit it left, it's a hook. If I hit it straight, it's a miracle.

• 2 weeks later...
This turned out to be a good thread. Last week in my Thursday league, not only did I talk up a storm, but I even threw my hat to the ground a-la Tiger, after hitting the 2nd 30+ foot putt of the day!
Whats in my bag

Driver: HiBORE XLS 9.5
Fairway Woods: Speed LD/F 5 Wood
Irons: X-20 Tour 3-PWWedges: CG12 Black Pearls 50, 56, & 60Putter: Tri-Ball SRTBalls: NXT TourUSGA Handicap: ???Low 9 Holes (This season): 37Low 18 Holes (This season): 76 (+4)

Note: This thread is 5456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!