IGNORED

I Can't Hit Off a Mat… Am I Weird?

opie

I really can't hit off the mats in places like Golfsmith etc.. I go to try and demo clubs and look like an idiot. I can't get a good feal without the ball on the ground and me taking a divot. Am I weird?

I tried out Mizuno MP57's this weekend at PGA Superstore and it was like I've never swung a club. Hit the MP62's much better off the mat but still not any good. Then went out to the range with my Golfsmith Pro Forged clubs and was striking the ball great. Good divots, good ball flight etc..

Anyone else that just can't hit off a mat?? I'm reluctant to buy any new clubs until I can test some on a range at least
  • Like 1

nope. mat isn't as good as turf, but I can hit off of both ok. Maybe you should do some practicing on mats just to get the feel for it?

I've never demo'd clubs at a golf store either, though. I've often wondered how good that experience would be for me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Grass is much better but if you are taking divots in front of the ball, the mat shouldn't make much of a difference. I don't like hitting off of a mat but that is just preference.

can't stand mats. psychologically, don't want to hit down on the ball when it's on a mat, thus I hit like cr@p off of them.

I think that's my problem.. I just can't wrap my mind around it

The only time I can hit off of a mat is when there is a tee on it - otherwise it's a waste of my time.

For folks that sweep the ball, it is not a big deal. But for people that have a steeper swing plane, it is problematic to hit off mats. You loose a ton of energy if you go into the mat. Face opens, ball goes right, etc.. I hate them for this reason. With that said, if you are hitting shots too fat in general, hitting on the mats will surely tell on you.

The reason I can't hit off mats in stalls such as Golfsmith and the range is because the space around me is rather confined. Even though my club shouldn't hit the stall walls, it's a psychological thing. I like to have room when I swing, even if I don't need it.

For folks that sweep the ball, it is not a big deal. But for people that have a steeper swing plane, it is problematic to hit off mats. You loose a ton of energy if you go into the mat. Face opens, ball goes right, etc.. I hate them for this reason. With that said, if you are hitting shots too fat in general, hitting on the mats will surely tell on you.

But shouldn't you be hitting the mat after ball contact? Otherwise you would be hitting your shots a little chunky on the grass?

I hate those damn things too, however I hit great off of them. BUT when I do and go golfing right afterwords its messes me up bad. I have a pretty steep swing, so I have to compensate when I'm on mats it plays hell with my game.

But shouldn't you be hitting the mat after ball contact? Otherwise you would be hitting your shots a little chunky on the grass?

Yeah man. I do that too But the mats really kill me. On grass, I have a chance to hit the ball.

Yeah man. I do that too

I understand. I hate them too, but don't have a problem hitting off of them. The only time I use them is if it is really wet.

• iacas changed the title to I Can't Hit Off a Mat… Am I Weird?