IGNORED

Who is left on tour using S&T

RC
Note: This thread is 5470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With now Weir and Baddeley abandoning the Stack and Tilt, that makes, by one guy's estimate (a non-S&T; swing coach for a number of tour players,) well over 20 pros that have quit trying this approach. My question is who are the remaining S&T; guys on tour and how are they doing?

RC

With now Weir and Baddeley abandoning the Stack and Tilt, that makes, by one guy's estimate (a non-S&T; swing coach for a number of tour players,) well over 20 pros that have quit trying this approach. My question is who are the remaining S&T; guys on tour and how are they doing?

i think zach johnson is s&t; im not 100% sure though

Not by the pictures in Golf Digest, at least not according to the pictures I've seen of the S&T; swing. But I am just asking a question -- I really have no first hand knowledge of S&T;, except I may be doing a little of it on 20-30 yard pitches.

RC

Hey Wedge, don't take my word as gospel on Zach Johnson -- you could be right because what I see is not always what people are doing or think they are doing.

My post was because the golf channel just ran a commercial where various guys are talking about "I'm Stacked." And I get a newsletter explaining that "so and so" has abandoned the S&T; and their stats have improved (and the numbers of guys reported to have done this is pretty large.) I'm just curious.

p.s. You are quick... I was editing my reply when you replied.

RC

Hey Wedge, don't take my word as gospel on Zach Johnson -- you could be right because what I see is not always what people are doing or think they are doing.

i heard he was on this board somewhere so we all know how true it could or couldnt be

I saw them talking on CBS last weekend about Charlie Wi and him using the Stack and Tilt. I don't believe Zach Johnson does.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I'm seeing alot more flatter, 3/4 backswings this year. Or, maybe I'm just noticing it because that is what my swing coach has me working on. I believe the "good" aspects of the S&T; are being incorporated into some swing coaching philosophy; so what you end up with is assimilation.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• Administrator
I'm seeing alot more flatter, 3/4 backswings this year. Or, maybe I'm just noticing it because that is what my swing coach has me working on. I believe the "good" aspects of the S&T; are being incorporated into some swing coaching philosophy; so what you end up with is assimilation.

I think Zach is taught by one of the S&T; guys or something along those lines. I'm nearly certain he's quasi-S&T.;

But that's the thing now: a lot of the guys are quasi-S&T.; Zach modifies it with his grip and the way he holds off on the follow-through (while still hitting a draw), and a lot of the guys are - seemingly - incorporating a piece or two without going hog-wild into S&T-Land.; I believe you can still stay fairly centered without literally straightening out your right leg on the takeaway, for example, and that piece seems to be missing from a lot of the players' swings who are otherwise mostly S&T.; But that's just a casual observation. I haven't really watched specifically and the camera angles on TV (no front-facing view, always down the line) make it tough to tell.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Icarus is right about elements of S&T; being in many swings. You hear different words, but the fundamental idea is still similar. There are two particular things I've heard that might fit this characterization. One is the "stay centered" concept and the other is the "covering the ball" move on iron shots. So, even some large weight shift type swingers still stay covered well at impact. I think I can spot a classical S&T; swing because of the leg position mentioned, but a "great impact position" is a "great impact postion," no matter what one might call the swing type.

RC

I'm 99.9% sure that during one of the rounds last week the announcers mentioned he is a stack and tilter..

whatever he is...he is surely reinvented himself this year.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

• Administrator
I'm 99.9% sure that during one of the rounds last week the announcers mentioned he is a stack and tilter..

Uhm, who?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I dont have any insider info, but just by looking at his swing, Anthony Kim has a little S&T; in him. I dont know if he has an S&T; teacher, but he straitens his leg on the takeaway and seems to swimg like an S&T; guy

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

zach johnson does not use stack and tilt, nor does he take and little parts of it. Zach also has not reinvented himself this year, remember folks, before this year zach had a masters win and 3 other pga tour wins.

• Administrator
zach johnson does not use stack and tilt, nor does he take and little parts of it.

I'm pretty sure that's not 100% right.

I think Zach is taught by one of the S&T; guys or something along those lines. I'm nearly certain he's quasi-S&T.;

Zach works with Mike Bender here in Orlando, FL. Mike is not a S&T; disciple. He has developed his own method and practice equipment, called MEGSA, that he uses with his students. In fact, he is a critic of the S&T; method. Read here: http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...acktiltcritics

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Note: This thread is 5470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!