IGNORED

Can you hear the hiss of your own ball?

Note: This thread is 5353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Idk guys maybe its the thick air down where I live but I hear just about every shot I have EXCEPT my driver which is rare to hear, But I even hear 50 yard shots with wedges. Being the loudest would have to be my 7-6 iron... dont ask me why lol.
Driver Tit 907D2 9.5 aldila spec grid 67s
HybidTit 585H 19* s flex
IronsTit 775cb 3-pw
WedgesTit vokey 52* 56* 60*
Putter Rife Barbados 35" winn mid pistol gripGolfballBridgestone B330-s/taylormade tp black/titleist prov1x

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hear my own once in a while but only with irons. I would guess that it is more common with irons that produce high spin. Then again for all i know the ball was nicked.

One thing i notice on one 5i strike 2 years ago was the ball balooned and didnt carry much more than 160..The hiss I could hear for a few seconds. It may have been nicked though. I cant remember all of it. Just the hole and the shot.

I here mine fizz, not all the time but when I hit it well you can definitely hear the ball going through the air for the first few yards of its flight.

Try hitting a low punch shot, striking it well and I don't doubt you will hear the fizz of the golf ball.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I usually hear the hiss from the ball only from my 3-5w when I really connect well with them. I think I've heard an iron or two also, but much much less frequently.

Just my 2 cents from a month of playing =)

In the :
Big Bertha 460cc 10°
SZ 3W & 5W
MX-23 Forged 3-PW
RAC 52°, 56° & 60° Fat Lady Swings AD333

No I can't hear my own. I've never asked whether I do it or not though, intriguing question though.

In my Tourino Stand Bag:
Driver: S9-1 F 9.5º Aldila DVS-HL S Flex Shaft
5 - Wood: 1200 Gear Perfect (being upgraded next year)
Irons: R7 Irons 4-PW
Balls: GamersWedge: 60.08º Vokey Spin Milled Wedge - Oil Can

I remember warming up the range when I was really new to the game, and I could hear my playing partners shots hissing thru the wind, and I thought, oh man, my shots never make that noise -
In the bag:
Driver - FT-9 10* Stock Stiff Fujikura
3Wood - X 3W Stock Stiff Callaway Graphite Shaft
Hybrids - X Hybrids 21*, 24*, 27* uniflex steel shaft
Irons - X-22 irons 6-PW uniflex steel shaftWedges - X Forged Chrome Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Tour ix or TP...

I think Iacas has it exactly right.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

then explain how people hear their own ball hiss?

for Me when it hit it with a driver I dont hear it at all. I think its because my ball speed breaks the sound barrier. BOOOM I mean POW!

There is no doubt you can hear them, read the answers in this thread and you'll see it.

It's not so much about swing speed either, you do not need over 100mph to hear the ball through the air. It's about the speed of the ball, which of course is somewhat related to the swing speed, but not so much as the ball impact and level of compression. I hear my ball when I strike it firmly down and find the sweet spot. This produces the highest ball speed, which is what makes the noice, the ball travelling fast through the air.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ahh... i was really hoping to see an answer to my longtime question on this thread, but havent. is a hissing ball good or bad?! or neither?

I just thought a hissing ball meant it had a crap-ton of spin. and the general ballooning that happens when I hear it has just "confirmed" this for me.

I don't usually hear the ball hiss when I hit it.... but I have heard my own balls hiss on many occasions. Usually it's when I feel like I really hit down on the ball with an iron and make clean contact. the flight pattern is different too......... everything seems to support my theory that it just had to do with how much spin was on the ball.

but there's nothing related to that in this 4 page thread. so am i that far off base?

I've never been able to really hit my 3 wood off the deck. when im at the range and having a really good ball striking day with the driver or wood, sometimes ill just screw around and see how clean i can hit them without a tee. I have about a 95% success rate of hearing my own shot hiss if I actually hit a good shot (about 1/15 shots! woot!). The balls start low and climb up.

The CRAZIEST hissing i've ever heard from one of my shots is one really bad top/skull (i think!???... felt weird) it stayed low hit a small mound and just skidded off the ground into the air hissing with a GOOD amount of carry. Imagine skipping a rock and after the first contact the thing flew 100-150 yards until the second skip -- it was such a weird thing to see.... but it hissed like crazy after hitting the mound.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

ahh... i was really hoping to see an answer to my longtime question on this thread, but havent. is a hissing ball good or bad?! or neither?

best advice is go to a pro=am or pga event and see for yourself. I know the topping thing all too well. Super hiss has strong relation to ballooning IMO unless thats the shot you want...usually they go straight,,not far.

I heard it once hitting a SW in the fairway. Thought it was kind of strange. Thing spun like crazy when it hit the green, guess it just had a little extra juice on it for some reason.

First, sound does travel in 360 degrees, with no magic involved. If somebody honks a car horn and you are above, below, beside or any direction from the horn you will hear it. The ball does move away from you so the ball will block some sound and the sound waves are diminished for other physical reasons as well. Also, the amount of spin on the ball will affect the sound the ball makes. I hit a ball with a lot of RPM's of backspin off my driver, more than most people, and I have been told my ball makes a louder and more of a "ripping" sound when it flies past a person on multiple occasions, even when I am playing with somebody who hits it longer than me. Everything else Iacas said is 100% right, including the part where the strength of the sound waves is not as strong in all directions, which is due to the ball moving away from you and blocking some of the sound where most of the initial turbulence happens (in front of the ball).

I hit a really spinny shot with a range ball that had a gouge in the middle of it. It kind of made a really fast and low "whoopa-whoopa" sound like a helicopter when it took off.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I will occasionally hear the sound of my ball, but only at the driving range, and only if it is a range that has poor quality balls. Even then, it's rare.

Usually if I hear a hiss from my own ball, I look up and the ball does this ridiculous fade/hook or hook/fade because the aerodynamics of the ball are obviously shot. It'd be fun to be able to produce that shot by will though.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I hit a really spinny shot with a range ball that had a gouge in the middle of it. It kind of made a really fast and low "whoopa-whoopa" sound like a helicopter when it took off.

whoopa-whoopa? Are you sure you didn't hit a police car?

Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

Sometimes if I really try to jump on one on the 10th tee, I will hear a hiss at the moment of impact. I attribute this "breaking of wind" to the cheap hotdog I ate on the break.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

Note: This thread is 5353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!