IGNORED

Tempo??

Note: This thread is 5203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tempo is so vital, and I think one of the main, if not THE MAIN, differences between a 10 and a 20 capper -

Tour Tempo- John Novosel.

Get that. Now.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Tour Tempo- John Novosel.

Just read about it in this forum - sounds interesting but counter intuitive based on the different tempos I think I see on tour -

I like counter intuitive though I will order it. If it starts getting me thru rounds without my 3-4 hole stretch of doubles or worse that are basically adding 10 strokes to my handicap, I will owe you huge -
In the bag:
Driver - FT-9 10* Stock Stiff Fujikura
3Wood - X 3W Stock Stiff Callaway Graphite Shaft
Hybrids - X Hybrids 21*, 24*, 27* uniflex steel shaft
Irons - X-22 irons 6-PW uniflex steel shaftWedges - X Forged Chrome Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Tour ix or TP...

Tempo is so vital, and I think one of the main, if not THE MAIN, differences between a 10 and a 20 capper -

I would say it's more short game, but it depends on the golfer.

Just read about it in this forum - sounds interesting but counter intuitive based on the different tempos I think I see on tour -

You'll be amazed. Most tour pro's keep a consistent 3:1 frames ratio.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I wrote this as a response to another post, so I cheated and copy/pasted it here....

Alot of times it is a rhythm problem. Mechanics as well, but I've never seen you swing...I have a very high swing speed, and while it Looks like I'm swinging out of my shoes sometimes to some people, it is in rhythm and balance. However, a miss hit will be amplified more than a slower swing. On the other hand if you swing slower than what feels natural to you, you may be off your personal rhythm. At that point you might manipulate your swing, rather than letting the club swing freely. Most people will tell you to swing about 85% of the fastest you can swing. But, if you're in rhythm and balance, you can juice it up if need be. I often redline it 95%-99% and still keep her straight, or work it left/right through setup. You will know you're in rhythm when most of the force of the swing is just before impact. A great way to test this is to turn your club upside-down (gripping under the clubhead, swinging the grip). Listen for a "wooosh" sound. You want that just before impact, maybe 12-18 inches. Think of the "viking ship" from a carnival, or six flags. The one where you sit and it swings back and forth, like a pendulum. It swings back , kind of pauses briefly at the top, heads back down, and builds speed on the way down to the bottom where it is moving fastest. Same philosophy. Centrifugal force. Well, your body would be it's base, the shaft would be it's arms, and the clubhead would be the screaming people locked in their seats. Swing too fast on the way back and they all fly out all over the park. Noone wants that,lol. Don't leave all your power behind your head, at parallel..
If you feel your setup/swing is fundamentally sound, it may be a tempo issue. If your mechanics are off, tempo doesn't matter. But you can ruin an otherwise beautiful swing with poor rhythm. Like a grandfather clock's pendulum, an in-tempo swing will literally beat time. Alot of golfers count off time while they swing. Or if you're on the other side of normal--like myself--find some songs in your tempo, then get them stuck in your head. Pick up a metronome. I know, I know, it sounds stupid. But once you find a rhythm that feels comfortable and produces results, you can always find your way back to your tempo if it gets out of whack. Just make sure you use it in privacy, not in your buddy's backswing!! Tick...Tick....Tick...

In my bag:
r7 9.5, 47"
18* burner rescue 08
x-18, 3-Pw
cg14 camo, 52* 56* 60* DFX 5500, blade, $70 jewel.. ........Jack herer....mountain dew......You know you wanna play here, pony up::http://www.lakeofisles.com/golf/nort...seflyover.html

• 6 months later...

It seems counter intuitive because they are smooth. Make no mistake, they are getting after it. I am a Tour Tempo believer big time. I estimate that it shaved about 7-8 strokes off my score when I was practicing with it religiously. Went from shooting around a 90 on average, to low 80's and high 70's. If you have good fundamentals, it is almost like a overnight difference in ballstriking.

Unfortunately, late last we got really busy at work and I played twice from September through November. Also, got rid of my iPhone that I had my TourTempo app during that time frame. So when the holidays came along, my game was in the toilet. I figured that I didn't need to practice with the TourTempo tones anymore, WRONG!!!!. I played some really bad golf in December. I have since re-purchased the tones and already a night/day difference on day 2. Spend the $15 for the tones, you will not regret it.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

From the "Amatuer's Biggest Mistake" file....this one from Jason Gore (paraphrasing)...

Not a teaching pro here, but don't confuse tempo with swinging slow. There is absolutely nothing slow about any pro's swing.

Fred Couples and Ernie Els swings look slow but they are not. They build up serious clubhead speed. Let's say you have two golf swings. Identical except for the club head speed and whether they hit the sweet spot. A 95 mph swing that hits the sweetspot will actually outdrive a 105 mile an hour swing that misses it. Most amateurs never learn what it feels like to hit the ball solidly. There is a world of difference between hitting solid shots and not.

If you can learn to hit it solid at a slower speed, you may in fact not lose any distance, you'll gain accuracy, and if you groove the swing, you can actually learn to develop more club head speed with it.

Driver: Adams 9105d Tech A4 Harrison Saga 70 Stiff
Driver: Adams 9032ls VooDoo XNV6
Nike 17* 4W Sq - VooDoo svs7
Cobra Baffler Pro 18*
4-PW: Mizuno MP-52, Project X53*: Cleveland Golf 58856*: Callaway X-Forged MD60*: Callaway X-Forged MD

Any suggestions on which of the Tour Tempo versions to buy and download?

Concerning the discussion about swinging hard. The difference between a pro and a high handicapper is that the pro utilize the core muscles to create speed. They also achieve the peak of the swing around impact. Most amateurs (like me) swing too much with the arms and too early, wasting most of the energy long before impact.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Any suggestions on which of the Tour Tempo versions to buy and download?

There are not different versions of TourTempo that I am aware of, just different delivery methods for the tones. You can download the tones from the site and install them on an mp3 player. There is an iPhone app available. They make an earpiece that looks like a bluetooth device preloaded with the tones (overpriced IMO).

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Not different versions, but different products.

http://www.tourtemposhop.com/

MP3 Download Edition 21/7®
Price $19.95

MP3 Download Edition 24/8®
Price $19.95

MP3 Download Edition 27/9®
Price $19.95

TONES Download Edition
Price $14.95

SHORT GAME Download Edition
Price $14.95

TOTAL GAME Download Edition
Price $24.95

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got my version of tour tempo from amazon (book and cd). If I feel the need to buy more, I'll check out the website. I think the book and cd are pretty solid start. I'm about half way through it and finding some interesting things about my backswing. With my driver, my backswing is too slow. My 7iron is around that 3:1 ratio. I'm starting with the 27:9 sound track (21:7 just sounds insane right now). I've always been told that I have nice tempo, smooth swing, etc. The strongest part of my game is my ball striking with my irons, while my driving is streaky. There are a few parts where he talks about how a handful of swings by Tiger, Phil, etc were off by a few tenths of a second and it dramatically affected the outcome of their shits.

I'm trying to do this indoors without damaging a ceiling fan, so there might be a subconscious block that's inhibiting my normal driver swing. I'm dying to go to the range and try this, but it's too freakin' cold in NY !

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

• 3 weeks later...
from ed from nh seeing i struggle for years with tempo when i play well ball striking wisel all i think about is wait for the clubhead do not force it, when i am losing it the first place i feel it is in my feet they get jumpy may sound weird but its a key for me,i go to the next tee and try to hit a very smooth hibredand try to keep out of big number,just my way, not for all.

Note: This thread is 5203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!