IGNORED

Really bad advice

Williamevanl
Note: This thread is 5430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah. When I was just starting out three years ago, my dad and I went to a pretty nice local course. We got paired up with a single. He was a decent player, probably around a 15 handicap. Nothing special, but certainly better than your average hacker.

We get to like the 13th fairway, and I'm hitting a 7 iron. I've been mostly hitting them thin. He tells me to take a divot before I hit the ball. He said "You want to hit RIGHT behind the ball, that's where you should start your divot."

My dad and him almost got into a fist fight because my dad said you want to hit the ball first, and then your divot should be made...not before you contact the ball.

I trusted my Dad, knowing he has played for 45 years and played College golf and is about a 5 handicap, and obviously knowing what I know now, my dad was right and the other guy was a complete moron.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Yeah. When I was just starting out three years ago, my dad and I went to a pretty nice local course. We got paired up with a single. He was a decent player, probably around a 15 handicap. Nothing special, but certainly better than your average hacker.

lol! yeah, dig a trench

in front of your ball first and let the grass carry the ball away, lol

My dad and him almost got into a fist fight because my dad said you want to hit the ball first, and then your divot should be made...not before you contact the ball

That has to be the most mis-understood thing in golf. People think you have to help the ball into the air, thus hit behind it.

I told her, "Hitting down on the ball makes it go up. When you hit down on the ball, the ball climbs up the clubface and the loft of the club sends the ball in the air." I'm not sure if she believed me or not, it seems counter-intuitive for alot of people. Being an analytical person and a pretty stout billiards player it has never been hard for me to understand the concept.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anyway I heard the guy duffing the ball tell the other two that all you have to do is use your arms only and not your body, He said "The golf swing is all arms keep you body completely still throughout the swing" :

you sure he wasn't giving Putting tips ..........

My old draw came back last night and then turned into a duck killer a few times. My friend told me that I need to weaken my grip by rotating my right hand clockwise. I gave him a funny look, but didn't want to get into a debate on the golf course during a match. The debate ensued this morning and he finally apologized after looking it up.

- Shane

you know the funny thing about advice is, those that normally give it, hate to get it in return,

my opinion on people giving Golf advice is, unless you're a very low capper (like under 5) and if the other person asks for advice, then who the heck do people think they are giving advice to a perfect stranger or in many cases even a friend....your game doesn't warrant giving advice imho......

I really hated it when people on my high school golf team told me how to putt, when first of all, I was better than them at putting, and second of all, I believe the putting stroke can be personalized.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

If I had a penny for every time I heard, "

Isn't this generally good advice? I notice many times when i top the ball it is because i pull my head before contact. While i don't see it as being a Fix to every golf swing i think it is good advice, especially to someone who keeps topping the ball or swinging over the top (missing).

Also just because some one Isn't as good as you doesn't mean they can't give advice. I'm pretty sure i could beat my 50+ year old track coach in a race but that doesn't mean he cant give me advice. As annoying as they may sound they are probably trying to help.

you know the funny thing about advice is, those that normally give it, hate to get it in return,

Another funny thing about advice is often (too often) it is free and then, most of the time, it is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it.

Isn't this generally good advice? I notice many times when i top the ball it is because i pull my head before contact. While i don't see it as being a Fix to every golf swing i think it is good advice, especially to someone who keeps topping the ball or swinging over the top (missing).

While keeping your head down is preferable to your body moving all over the place, keeping it down for your entire swing is not always a great idea. "You picked your head up" is a great

alibi , but really, it's a symptom, not a cause. You'll periodically hear about good players working on not keeping their head down so long.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think that it has become so cliche that most people tune it out of their heads. It also has a negative connotation (maybe just in my head). That is why I like to use the phrase "Focus on the ball and let your right shoulder pull your head up". I think that phrase has a positive tone. BTW - I only tell myself this on the range, never on the course where I try to keep my head clear of all mechanical thoughts and focus on the target.

- Shane

I've found that focusing on the ball leads directly to mishits.

I hit best when I focus on the swing .

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

I'm the other way. When I focus on my swing, I will top, chunk, blade, etc. When I clear my mind and let my instincts take over, things work much better.

- Shane

I really can't help myself butting in these conversations. I'm a newbie golfer myself, but if people mess up the basics (i.e. the part I do understand) I always try to correct them.

IMO, if I were a 33 Hcp I would probably keep my tips on the fundamentals to myself...........

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

I was at the range the other day and saw a kid who was about 10 or 11 at the range with his dad. His dad had a horrible swing, but the kid looked really good. I hope his dad won't be giving him advice in the new few years.

That all depends. I surpassed my dad in golf ability when I was about 13, but he has been extremely helpful in improving my game. For example, last season I developed the yips in my chipping and putting. After floundering for a couple weeks, I had my dad come down to help me for a weekend. We spent about 8 hours total going over my technique and strategy around and on the green. Those lessons and some practice produced immediate results. I get up and down much more often, and I'm now at the point where if I have a putt of 12 feet or less, I make a very high percentage of them. Almost all of my lag putts leave me with a tap-in.

Short story long, a less talented player who understands the game can teach someone better when they take the "Do as I say, not as I do" approach. It's easier to teach by saying "watch me swing", but that doesn't mean it's correct.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

I'm the other way. When I focus on my swing, I will top, chunk, blade, etc. When I clear my mind and let my instincts take over, things work much better.

i think im the exact opposite of both (if thats even possible), lol. i tend to play/hit/swing better when im not thinking about anything.

i think im the exact opposite of both (if thats even possible), lol. i tend to play/hit/swing better when im not thinking about anything.

That is probably more like what I mean. When I said "focus", I meant in a visual sense. Perhaps I should say "gaze at the ball...". Anyway, I think the phrase "look down" is just overused and bad.

- Shane

That is probably more like what I mean. When I said "focus", I meant in a visual sense. Perhaps I should say "gaze at the ball...". Anyway, I think the phrase "look down" is just overused and bad.

yep. like my last round, i was in a zone for the first 10 holes. i was 2 under par after the first 10 holes. then i started

THINKING and finished with a 78

Note: This thread is 5430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!