IGNORED

If PGA went to CARTS

TheNatural
Note: This thread is 5417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. IF the pga went to carts scores would be

• lower
    • higher
    • no difference

I can't imagine the scores would be different.

It would be really pathetic though. Non-golfers already don't consider golf a sport, and that would reinforce their belief and invite infinite ridicule. Imagine professional soprts players who drive around in little carts so they don't have to walk. Geez.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

I could see scores getting worse because you have less time to visualize the shot and plan it out, but there wouldn't be very much of a difference to the top guys.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I would be shocked if it made a difference.

Fatigue certainly isn't an issue. As it is they don't even carry their own bag and there are refreshments waiting for them at every tee-box.

I don't even think it would affect their pace of play. At that level I think they are disciplined enough to take whatever time they need to stay in their rhythm.

Tim

No difference considering these guys have been walking their entire careers. From when they were playing in junior, high school, college, ameatuer events, and now to the professional tours, they were all walking...

Riding would help them either way, in my opinion.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Slightly better overall in my opinion....I think it would benefit the bottom half of the PGA field more than the top, with overall better scoring (not a huge diffference, but it would show up).

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

I said lower but I cannot see this happening. You'd think it'd be faster if they played with carts, but since most of the players spend most of their time on or around the green, there would be a longer wait from the fairway, and the tee box. I think play would get held up. Just my opinion.

the scores would be higher. Walking between shots gives you a "feel" for the golf course and helps pros get in "the zone". Walking also keeps muscles loose and warm.

I'm guessing they would play cart path only (the players would freak if a ball ended up in someones tire marks).

There are several courses in The Open rotation that don't have carts or cart paths.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

the scores would be higher. Walking between shots gives you a "feel" for the golf course and helps pros get in "the zone". Walking also keeps muscles loose and warm.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I vote higher scores. I think you get in a better rhythm when you're walking.

Just personal opinions, though - me and the memsahib!

Carts in professional golf. I see:

Big tacky adverts on the side of the carts.

The winner doing 360s on the green after winning.

A spectator suing a caddie for running her over.

Caddies averaging a 20lbs weight gain within 6 months.

CWI charges. Carting while intoxicated.

Pros griping about the 90* rule to David Feherty.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger would drive a giant Nike swoosh that dropped fifty dollar bills out of the exhaust.

Boo Weekly's would be camoflauged with hunter orange wheels, and maybe a deer strapped to the hood.

Colin Montgomery would have a time out box that he could pout in when he's heading to his next shot.

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

They're pros.

You could put them all in big floppy shoes, rubber noses, funny hats and cram 'em all into the same little itty bitty clown car and it wouldn't affect their overall play.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say higher, I think walking allows the players to play at their pace and blow off steam if they get upset. With a cart they would all play at the same pace, while it might increase the pace of the game, I don't think it would be good for individuals game.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I can't imagine the scores would be different.

Agreed, the ability to deal with the physical and sometimes mental challenge of playing in adverse weather would be reduced as well. I do think the milage between tees on golf courses has gotten absurd.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

This interesting question spun off another poll of amateurs walking vs riding

The big difference is most amateurs have to carry their own bag.

Now, if the pros had to carry their own bag, THAT would make a difference in scoring.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Note: This thread is 5417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!