IGNORED

9.5 or 10.5 degree driver?

Note: This thread is 5394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have always played a 9.5 driver but a friend recently recommended trying a 10.5. I would say that I have a pretty normal trajectory (not too high/not too low) with the 9.5 but my buddy said that a lot of courses are building their layouts for carry distance and not necessarily roll out distance...is this true? I'm a little skeptical about bumping up to the 10.5 b/c I have always played the 9.5 but not sure if it wouldn't help in the long run. My question, how much distance loss can I expect with the 1 degree of difference? Should my accuracy expect to improve? I'm asking this b/c I am looking a buying a TaylorMade 09 Burner since my other driver is pretty old.

Driver: 975D 9.5
3 Wood: 975F 14.5
2 Hybrid: 909H 19
Irons: 3-PW VR Split Cavity
Wedges: VR 52/10 & 56/10Putter: White Hot Tour #1Ball: ONE Platinum/Tour

take your driver to the range, ask the pro shop if you can try out a 10.5 in a model you like. compare and contrast.

A Work in Progress:

Bag: Physics Stand Bag (ebay dirt cheap special)
Driver: Knight GTi Tour 285 10*
3 Wood: r7 ST 15*5 Wood: "The Perfect Club" 21* rescueHybrids: None... yetIrons: Burner Super Steel 3-9Wedges: Burner Super Steel PW, AW, SWPutter: BlackJack 206Ball: NXT or ProV-1 (used)

don't forget that the degree isn't the only thing that matters. The stiffness, weight, and kickpoint of the shaft will all vary the ballflight as well.

Sasquatch 460 10.5
X 3 wood
X 4H
X-22's 5-PW
X Forged 52, 58 Black Series #1 Tour i X Series stand bag

For what it's worth, Tiger hits a 10.5

yeah, but when he hits, it closes to 10* and he uses a custom tour driver with higher customized cg which gives him a lower spin, lower trajectory shot. I'm sure if you gave him a 460 driver that most people use in 10.5, he'd balloon his drives.

Really, driver loft is touchy and you need to either try it out or get it fitted. With a 460 driver, I've tried both 10.5 and 9.0 and I still hit it high but much longer with the 9. However, my friend tried both and gets better results with a 10.5. A bit more loft gives a bit more forgiveness but you gotta try them out and see if your drives fly at a trajectory that you like.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

don't forget that the degree isn't the only thing that matters. The stiffness, weight, and kickpoint of the shaft will all vary the ballflight as well.

This is true.

Get fitted, thats the best thing to do & if it aint broke, don't fix it. I play a 10.5 with a 460cc head, I used to play a 460cc head with 9.5* (907D2), but with the 909D2 when i got fitted it worked out that i needed the extra degree to get the ball just that much higher on launch. My ballflight doesn't balloon, due to having a heavy shaft & a mid kick point in the shaft. Also depends on the cc of your driver 400cc is going to launch lower than a 460cc. Your best bet is to get fitted.
In my black carry bag
Driver- 909 D2 10.5* 76g Stiff UST Proforce V2
3-Wood 909 F3 14.5* 82g Stiff UST Proforce V2
Hybrid- 585-H 19* 85g Stiff Flex Adilla Proto
Irons- Z-B Forged 3iron-PW Project X 6.0Gap Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 52|8Sand Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 56|10Putter- Scotty Cameron...

I've always hit a 10.5* up until my most recent driver purchase. I didn't want to go under 10.5* until my accuracy improved.

I much prefer the ball flight with my new 9.5* and haven't sacrificed any accuracy.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Agreed. Also, just because you have a 9.5* driver doesn't mean you'll hit it longer than the 10.5. I'd suggest getting on a launch monitor and checking out which shaft flex, driver loft, etc. gives you the best combination of distance and accuracy.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

1 word - shaft
research this crap outa this and decide thwt shaft fits u best

i recently purchased a 907 D2 w a Diamana 65 g S Shaft w 4.4 torque
i was launching it to the moon....really
changed out the shaft for $90 to a UST Pro Force V2 Stiff w 77g and 2.1 torque
ball flight is MUCH better and it plays stiffer, due to the lower torque

i didnt realize how much this made a difference until i switched
i think the higher loft doesnt alwasy have to do w launch, but more forgiveness

if ur failry accurate stay w the 9.5, if you need some help, get a 10.5

thing i love about Titleist drivers - they actually give you a tonne of options for shafts
here is a great link to a 909 shaft comparison
it is close for the 907 D2 series i think as well
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

How high you tee up your ball can have an affect on trajectory, for better or worse for me it seems. I use a 10.5 deg driver but if i tee it up a little lower it will create a lower ball flight and go farther, same way with my 3 wood, which I only hit well off the tee. I usually tee the ball up high enough with the club on the ground so that the bottom of the ball would just touch the top of the club head, that seems to give me the most distance. If i tee up any higher, i hit the ball too high and though it looks impressive in the air, it doesnt go as far and any lower and i risk topping the ball. This is all about personal preference for each golfer and gives you something to experiment with at the range until you get it right where you want it.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

I just made the switch and couldnt be happier. I can hit a draw again!

My nike sumo2 9.5, when I first got it I was awesome with it But I could just hit it long and dead strait maybe a fade. But over time I got worse and worse.

Move to last week, bough a mizzy mp600 10.5 went and played yesterday and only missed one fairway and it was in the first cut of rough. It helped me get rid of some of my side spin, and allows me to shap balls much better than my nike. I endorse the change and will not be going back.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

I was in the opposite spot, feeling like I was hitting my 12* well but not getting the distance I wanted. I went in and hit mine and the 10.5 into a launch monitor at Sports Authority, and found that I was hitting the 12* consistently 15-20 yards longer. End result - I've leard I'm a bad golfer playing with the right driver. That saved me $200 bucks.

I bought a 9.5 with a stiff shaft in the newer version of my driver below. I didn't like it. I lost distance and was no more accurate. You shouldn't lose distance when going up a degree. Hitting it high is how to hit it far. Non-driver related but related: I hit a five wood farther than a three wood because I can hit it higher and carry it farther.

Brian

I used to have a 9.5* TM Burner Draw and I hit fairly well with it but when I switched to my 10.5* TM R9 460, I've never looked back. I get more lift and can hit it farther and more accurately than before. Now I hit it on average 260ish and maxed out at 290 and I've only had it for about 1.5 weeks.

My last two have been 10.5.

I may stay there....I may go back to 9.5.

As someone else already stated....the shaft makes the biggest difference.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!