IGNORED

Tom Watson

RC
Note: This thread is 5410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

lol, yeah i remember that too, lol

No thanks, fake lips and probably fake everything else.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't around a tv all weekend (camping) and was shocked this morning when I turned one on and he was still leading. I was pulling for him, and it would have made a great storyline.

In my bag:
Driver: Sumo SQ 9.5* (SQ DyMo 9.5*...coming soon)
3W: Deep Red 15* (SQ DyMo 15*...coming soon)
Irons 3-P: AP2
Wedges : 52*, 56*, 60* SV TourFlat Stick: White Hot XG #1/ g5i Craz-e (...leaving soon)Ball: Z-URC

From 1977-1984 Tom was the unquestioned #1 golfer on Earth. For 71 holes, it was nice to see him at the top again.

Of course, all this was just to qualify for the PGA.

He still needs that one for the career slam.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

One of the most compelling golf tournaments I have ever watched......I can't even express my thoughts about Tom Watson's performance...it is simply beyond words......all I can say is that if you can't find inspiration in his performance, I feel sorry for you.

In the end, maybe it wasn't meant to be....congratulations to Stewart Cink, a formidable and deserving champion.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Oh man I was hoping for Watson to close it but hes already won a couple british opens. I'm happy for Cink. Well deserved.

Tour Burner 9.5 Aldila NV65R
MP-57 3-PW R300
588 SW 54
588 LW 60

i liked the little promo they played after it was over thanking Tom Watson for the wonderful week, and when they mentioned something along the lines of how nice it is for a nice older guy like Watson to be able to compete in a gentlemans sport

Yeah I was kind of surpised they took a blatant dig at Tiger like that, haha.

Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

Wouldn't have happened on The Golf Channel.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

What an amazing week of golf! Watson's performance was simply masterful. He really is king of the links. I hope every pro learned something from him. Calm, smooth, and collected for 71.5 holes. Too bad the fairy tale ended.

As for Cink, I'm happy for him. He deserves the Jug...great player and fellow GT alum

905R 10.5* - Speeder (S) ::: 909F2 15.5* - VooDoo (S) ::: 909H 19* - VooDoo (S) ::: Vokey Spin Milled 52.08, 56.11 & 60.07
MX-25 4-P - Dynamic Gold (S300)
Studio Style Newport 2 - 33/350
Pro V1Tour V2

Yes, the teflon wore a bit thin there didn't it .....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Slamming his club on the ground after wayward tee shots, whipping his bag with the shaft of his club, that backwards-type fast swing he does when he hits a poor shot; Woods' actions disgust me. Not only this year at the Open, but numerous tournaments in which I have watched him compete. And this guy is supposed to be a positive role model? Negro please.

He may be the top ranked player in the world, but he has one of the worst attitudes i've seen on the golf course. Very poor sportsmanship on his behalf. As for Tom Watson, I really feel sad for the fellow. Such an unfortunate ending to such a historic run. With a chance to grasp the victory on the tips of his fingers, watching him bogey the 18th, followed by him game slowly unfurling in the playoff holes was too painful to watch. I really would have liked to see him take the Jug one more time. However it does not take away from the glory that a 59 year old can still contend to win a Major Championship. A truly amazing performance by Tom Watson. I must give props to Stewart Cink for achieving his first Major Championship victory, though.
The sticks:
Driver: r5 10.5° Stiff N
3 wood: 980f 15°
Irons: RAC OS 4-9
Wedges: 48° & 56°, SV 60°Putter: TracyBall: NXT Tour

Watching Watson's press conference after the playoff I was pleasantly surprised by a couple things. First, he didn't just have the "happy to be here" kind of mentality. He wasn't a sour jerk, he made a few jokes during the presser, I believe he even started it by saying something like, "It's not like we're here for a funeral", but you could genuinely tell that he was disappointed with himself, yet he gave Cink complete credit for playing himself into the tie and taking charge in the playoff. I also liked how he said that he came to this tournament because he felt he could win it, and made the comment about how he stopped playing The Masters because he felt like a "ceremonial golfer" because he can't play that kind of course anymore. I really appreciate that kind of honesty from an athlete, albeit a 59 year old one. Lastly, although there's been a little Tiger hate in this thread I thought it was rather classy of Tom to make the comment of how he tips his cap to all the obligations Tiger must go through on every tournament he plays. I got the sense that Tom appreciated how the game has changed off the course since he was last a perennial contender with regard to sponsor obligations and such.

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction." Ty Webb, Golf Philosopher

I also liked how he said that he came to this tournament because he felt he could win it, and made the comment about how he stopped playing The Masters because he felt like a "ceremonial golfer" because he can't play that kind of course anymore. I really appreciate that kind of honesty from an athlete, albeit a 59 year old one.

Good grief, that certainly was a remarkable comment, but entirely fitting to how I see the man. He is right of course, and that would be the view of a player of the old school shall we say, someone with little interest in the golf-as-spectacle-for-the-uninformed. He respects the game too much to play simply because he is able to walk the course. He really is a golfer's golfer.

The extent of the general disappointment in his failure to win the Open is a true measure of his current abilities as a golfer, i.e. at 59, he put himself in a position to win the jug with three solid strokes, possibly two. Bravo Tom, your play this year will be remembered for a long, long time, and your reputation as a gentleman has only been burnished.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Dude, being frustrated with your own performance is hardly a lack of sportsmanship. Play a little tournament golf before you write this drivel. Tiger's behavior is FAR from abnormal. Explain to me how any of the things you mentioned show disrespect to your opponent.

Slamming his club on the ground after wayward tee shots, whipping his bag with the shaft of his club, that backwards-type fast swing he does when he hits a poor shot...

I think something was going on with Woods that we have not yet heard about. He is not normally so emotionally out of control. He has had flashes of frustration, but usually he goes to work on correcting his swing enough to stay in the mix till he can get to the range.

He almost looked like he didn't want to be there. Not like him. Subpar

I'm still in disbelief that Tom didn't win. His eight footer for par on 18 was brutal. Such a shame to end the tournament that way when he had played so well for 71 holes.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I totally agree with you on Tiger at Turnberry- I think something was happening behind the scenes that we will learn about one day... like you say, he did seem a little distracted for some reason.

Note: This thread is 5410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!