IGNORED

Superstitions

iacas
Note: This thread is 6464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

We're golfers, which means we play a sport, which means we're superstitious to at least some degree.

What superstitions do you have on the golf course? Pre-shot routines don't count unless you wink three times and say a small prayer or something.

I'll share my list when I have the time to put one together.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always, always, ALWAYS have to slice my first tee shot of the day.

Seriously, no weird superstitions, other than I have to have a particular divot repair tool in my bag, blah blah blah. That, and the goat sacrifice at the bag drop.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I didn't think I had any until today.

160-yeard Par 3 16th. Pond front and left holds approximately 50% of my tee shots here over the years.

As we pull up to the tee, I see a guy in the foursome in front of us hitting from the drop area. I immediately looked away. It just felt like bad karma to watch somebody hitting from the drop area.

Guess it sort of worked. Instead dunking it in the pond, I hit a six-iron flush to the left back fringe. Unfortunately, the pin was front right and I couldn't get down for par.

But a dry bogey still felt better than a wet double.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

• Administrator
I don't watch anyone else's swing, but that's not a superstition per se. More a matter of not wanting someone else's swing to throw off my own.

My superstitions including using the same ball marks I've had for years. One's an old 10 franc coin that's silver with gold on the outside. The other, I forget where it's from, but it's smaller and the opposite - gold inside, silver outside (the color, not the metal itself). I always have them.

Outside of that, I'm surprisingly free of superstitions on the golf course. In every other sport, I had more - don't step on the lines on baseball, certain silly pre-game rituals in soccer, etc.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't really have any superstitions like using a special coin/ball marker, etc. I do try to follow a certain routine when warming up only for tournaments but that's not really a superstition per se.

yep no more Hats ben playing under 100 ever scence with 95 being highest

Driver-Wilson Deep Red II .428 shaft (stiff)
3 Wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
5 wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
3 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(17*)
4 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(21*)5-PW-Wilson fat shaft52-56-68 Degree wedges- Wilson HarmonizedPutter- Top Flite Mallet

I always mark my ball with the heads side up. I'm an idiot, though.
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

I always spin the clubhead two times before I make any shot...oh, I also talk to myself way to much...

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

None that I can think of. I tried using a certain ball mark, divot tool, etc. None of that really made any difference. The pre-shot routine is the only superstition I have...even on the range I go through it before I hit any ball. Of course routine and superstition are two different things...you could call it OCD instead.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I never use balls with "3" on them.... whenever I buy a new box of balls, I always swap out the 3 box for the 1 or 4 box.

My golf glove always goes in my left pocket.

Putter cover always goes in the back left pocket of my shorts/pants, etc.

Like Erik though, that's nothing like my baseball superstitions... left sock was always worn inside out, don't step on the lines, hat was always on backwards during pre-game warmups, never sit on the fat part of the bench (always sit on the top of the bench and prop your feet up on the normal seat), never step on the lines on the way out on the field, always do even-number of exercises (never 15 situps, always 16 or 14). I'm sure I'm leaving out others, but that's what tends to happen when you grow up playing with the same teammates every year, culminating in some weird high school superstitions.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

I use a 1994 quarter for a ball mark. This is the year my oldest son was born. I actually switched to this when the Callaway marker that fits in my ball mark repair tool was lost. The quarter fits perfectly. I used a Florida one recently but it was not lucky. I switched to the 1994 one and I have putted well ever since. I also have one from 1998 for my younger son. If the 94 starts to misbehave, I will put it in time out.

I also put the cover to my Scotty in the slot where my putter goes. Granted, this started as an effort to keep from losing it. Have you seen what they cost to replace? It just kind of stuck.

My basketball superstitions are much worse. I have two sleeveless Air Jordan shirts that I will wear under my jersey. I usually wear whatever one is clean. We lost the first game of the year and the following week I wore different shorts, socks, underwear and the other Jordan tee. We won that week and I wore the exact same thing for the next 12 weeks. We won 13 straight games and took the regular season and playoff titles. Hey...it could be worse. In high school I didn't wash my game socks for 10 days because we were on a three game winning streak. I also went almost three weeks without shaving due to a four game slide. Thankfully we won the last game before Christmas vacation.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I always have to have my divot tool and ball markers in my pocket while I play. If I forget on the first hole, I usually double it or worse. It just sort of happens that way.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

• Administrator
Oh, that reminds me of an actual superstition that I have: I always have to write down my score (and a few stats) before I tee off on the next hole or I'll play badly until I write my score down.

So nobody has any superstitions about using only white tees or anything?

Note: This thread is 6464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!