IGNORED

You're in the rough just off the green and the pin is 30 yards away. What do you do?

Note: This thread is 5335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What would you do?

• High lob shot
    • Low Bump-And-Run
    • Something In-Between

Do you prefer a higher lob shot that lands close to the pin and checks (what Mickelson does) or a low bump-and-run shot that gets on the green as fast as possible?

In My Ozone Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Burner 15* Stiff
Hybrid: Burner 19* Stiff
Irons: Tour Burner 4-GWWedges: CG14 54.12, 58.12Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Back Rangefinder: GX-IHome Course: http://www.strawberryridgegolfcourse.com/

I would definately sky the ball with plenty of backspin. That way you can use enough power to make sure it gets out of the rough but then backspin will make it stop dead on the green. works for me 90% of the time. A bump and run move is risky because it might get tangled in the rough and not make it to the green or it might clear the rough more easily than you expected and roll off the green onto the fringe.
Driver: Walter Hagen T3 Square
3 wood: Walter Hagen T3
Hybrids: Walter Hagen T3
Irons: Walter Hagen T3
Putter: Walter Hagen MalletChipper: EZ RollShoes: GreenJoyGlove: ReactBall: E5+ or HX Hot Bite16 years old

It wouldn't be a complete flop, or a low bump n run, it would most likely be a pitch that's in between the two - something that's fairly easy to control.

It really also matters on the terrain and shot in front of you though, making the the thread, eh, somewhat pointless.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I'm not really a fan of the big, high lob shot (I've skulled it off the green too many times). But I'm not sure what you mean by "low bump-and-run". If you mean a long iron (3,4,5), than no. But I'd probably use either a pitching wedge, or a nine iron depending on the lie and whether the green is elevated, downhill, or flat.

Something in the middle, depends on how deep the rough is and what the conditions are. Usually a pitch though but like said it depends on the rough and how much green you have to work with.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

I would definately sky the ball with plenty of backspin. That way you can use enough power to make sure it gets out of the rough but then backspin will make it stop dead on the green. works for me 90% of the time. A bump and run move is risky because it might get tangled in the rough and not make it to the green or it might clear the rough more easily than you expected and roll off the green onto the fringe.

The high lob shot is actually the most risky. That shot requires the most skill and a pure strike for it to do what you want. The bump n' run is the least risky, depending on how much green you have to work with. A high log shot is very easy to skull over the green or chunk and land short of the green.

I always play these a little short with my PW, and get it to run a little.

In the carry bag:
'07 Burner 10.5 Driver (S Flex)
Hyper X 5 Wood
J33CB 4-PW Irons (S Flex)
Vokey 54-10 Spin Milled Watson 08 60 Lob Wedge G5i Blade

of course it depends on the setup. sand, trees, lie in the rough. under normal conditions though i feel the best with my sand wedge producing a moderately high shot with some roll. in between a flop and a long runner.

It wouldn't be a complete flop, or a low bump n run, it would most likely be a pitch that's in between the two - something that's fairly easy to control.

agreed, it seems that every type of shot has it own time and place. Learning what that time and place is, is the hard part

Driver: Walter Hagen T3 Square
3 wood: Walter Hagen T3
Hybrids: Walter Hagen T3
Irons: Walter Hagen T3
Putter: Walter Hagen MalletChipper: EZ RollShoes: GreenJoyGlove: ReactBall: E5+ or HX Hot Bite16 years old

I've been playing the short course at the local range to practice some chipping and putting, and this describes almost every hole. I was under the impression that getting the ball on the ground as soon as possible (within reason) was the path to the most control. I'm sure there are exceptions. My best chip shots happen when I approach them like putts...

But a high lob that checks isn't a shot I have in my bag (yet). I don't know what kind of clubhead speed that takes, but at least I get to try the shot again (when my ball ends up 30 yds away on the opposite side of the pin)...
Still learning the game with:
HiBore XLS 10.5°
HiBore XLS 3W
Burner Rescue 4H 22°
CG7 4 - PWCG14 Black Pearl 52°, 56°, 60°White Hot 330 mallet

30 yards????? The courses I play don't have any greens that big.

I remember playing Tiger Woods '08 and having some 100+ foot putts...

Still learning the game with:
HiBore XLS 10.5°
HiBore XLS 3W
Burner Rescue 4H 22°
CG7 4 - PWCG14 Black Pearl 52°, 56°, 60°White Hot 330 mallet

I would do a little pitch and roll with my 52° or 58° depending on the lie and terrain. To me, the beauty of backspin, is being able to control the roll. I know everyone wants to spin it back like Phil but I don't know if I'd ever know when to hit that shot. Anyway, my iron set is so geared toward game improvement that the huge sole and enormous head don't help me get through rough too easily so I'm almost forced to hit my wedges out of greenside rough.
Driver: Cleveland Hi-Bore Tour 9.5°, Fujikura Fit-On Red-Stiff
Fairway: Cleveland Hi-Bore 15°, Grafalloy ProLaunch Red-Stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Dual TP 3H, Diamana Blue Board-Stiff
Irons: MacGregor MT 3-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Stiff
Wedges: MacGregor MT Pro 52-6° & 58-10°Putter:...

Impossible to tell without knowing the lie and what is in front of the green. Sitting up high with lots of green I'll do chip and run. If it's sitting down and I have to carry slopes or a lot of rough I'll pitch it out with my 58º.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry. Absolutely impossible to answer without examining the actual lie.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe I would forward press and try to hit a mid-height two hop-stop shot. I am faced with this situation constantly in the tournaments I play around here (I guess I can't hit a 20+yard green from 150 yards so I end up chipping a lot). I like the forward press shot because I guarantee myself crisp contact, when I flop, which I do when I am presented with an obstacle I must clear, I hit it well about %70 of the time, which just isn't good enough. I like the two hop-stop forward press chip the best, and I'm actually using it in more situations around the green now, its becoming my most consistent stroke.

Tuli kokko, iliman lintu,
Havukka, tuolt' tuulten päältä,
Litti lintu, syöksy sääksi,
Sinitaivon selänteiltä.
Taylormade Burner driverTiger Shark 3 wood (blah)Titlelist 5 woodNike Sumo Irons 4- A wedge (graphite shafts)Callaway X-tour lob wedgeJack Nicholas Putter (it...

It depends on the grass, the slopes and contours, and how well I feel about various shots at that moment in time. To confess, if I am a little uncertain, I putt or hit a toe down, putting stroke "chip-putt" with a six iron -- rolling for as much of the distance as I can.

We can have several 100 foot putts and some greens where hitting a flop from a location already on the putting green (you are on the green but a putt would not allow you to get close) is your best option. Recently, the greenskeeper has stopped using some pin locations just to remove the "on the green flopper" from the best option. Today, a player in our group had a putt that getting to within 10 feet was realistic only by pitching. He putted and wound up further from the hole that he started. So, choice of shot is always a matter of the specific situation and the way your confidence and ability are telling you is the best.

RC

I'm just a beginner but I do what I've termed a "chop" shot. It is the blend of a chip and loft shot. I only have a gap wedge below my PW so I've had to adapt. I keep my stance narrow and my left arm and wrist stiff and choke down but put the ball in the middle of my stance to take advantage of the club loft (52 deg). I usually take a few practice shots with a nice fluid swing (including knee flex) and about a 25% take away and then take the shot. Practice at the range with it first though.

- Pat

41 yrs. old, 3rd year playing and learning!
In my beginner bag:
--------------------------Driver/3W/3H - Nike Sumo SQ4H - TaylorMade Rescue5 iron - PW 2008 Callaway BB w/iBridsLW/SW/GW - 2010 Cleveland CG15Putter - 2008 Taylormade Rossa Monte Carlo 7---------------------------

Note: This thread is 5335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!