IGNORED

Which Major championship would you want to win most?

Sir Ryan
Note:Β This thread is 2733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which major championship would you most like to win?

• The Masters
    • The U.S. Open
    • The British Open
    • The PGA Championship

For me it would be The Open Championship (British Open). IMO, The Open Championship is played on the toughest courses in the most difficult conditions.

Whats in my :sunmountain:Β C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

The Masters is far and away the smallest field with It's a lot of hype...it isn't even that old. The PGA has a lot of years on it.

Actually, they were both 20th century creations and the PGA is only 18 years older (1916 versus 1934).

And, the PGA wasn't played as stroke play until the late 1950s, so it has always had a bit of an identity crisis. Other contributors to it's perceived lower status: It's the only major not associated with Bobby Jones. Ben Hogan actually skipped it in favor of the Open Championship in his great year of 1953. And great players like Arnold Palmer and Tom Watson never won it.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver:Β Ping I20Β 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty CameronΒ  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX andΒ Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Actually, they were both 20th century creations and the PGA is only 18 years older (1916 versus 1934).

All good points about it. Hogan skipped it to get out there and play the British but it wasn't like he did this every year.

The facts Watson and Palmer never won it should enhance its quality if anything you'd imagine. It shows how difficult that tournament really is. You won't find a more competitive field.

All good points about it. Hogan skipped it to get out there and play the British but it wasn't like he did this every year.

I agree about the difficulty, no doubt.

But, Hogan did skip it every year from 1950 through 1963, mostly becuase of the demands of the match play format, but he didn't play in it the 1st 6 years of stroke play either. While you are dead on about the strength of field, that doesn't have to make it everyone's de facto favorite for that reason. As we have discussed there are many reasons it's not held in the highest regard. Even the majority of pros name one of the other 3 as the one they'd most like to have before the PGA, so it's not just the "ignorant fans and media" as you have suggested.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver:Β Ping I20Β 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty CameronΒ  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX andΒ Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Even the majority of pros name one of the other 3 as the one they'd most like to have before the PGA, so it's not just the "ignorant fans and media" as you have suggested.

Yeah, even I said earlier in this thread it would be the Masters for me. Mainly because I'd like to play Augusta whenever I felt like it (I'd move to Georgia and wake up and play the course every day if I won that thing). But also because in my more ignorant fan days it was my favorite. I liked it for all the wrong reasons and didn't even understand the pedigree of other majors or what was what. I just fell for the hype. I still love the tournament though, lol.

So emotionally it would be the Masters. Logically it would be the PGA.

Masters, Open Championship, PGA, US Open. Players wouldn't be bad either.

In a navy blue Vintage L8 stand bag
Big Bertha 454
Muirfield 20th 2 iron
Vip Tour CB-92 3-PW
by Macgregor Greg Norman Forged FW Special 55 BeCuTad Moore TM-2 Milled putter AD333/Trispeed

1. Masters
2. Open Championship
2A. United States Open

and way back

4. PGA

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

For me it would be The Open Championship (British Open). IMO, The Open Championship is played on the toughest courses in the most difficult conditions.

Very good point. I think Turnberry this year was the hardest course, no surprise the leading score before the playoff between Cink and Watson was only 2 under.

Weapons of Choice:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: 3 & 5 Power Play Caman's
Irons: Rac'sWedges: Professional Open Series 690 52 & 60 degreePutter: Crimson Series 550Bag: Stand BagGlove: MLBall: JUICE

For me it's far and away the U.S. Open. Followed by the Open Championship, Masters, and PGA - in that order.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5Β° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15Β° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19Β° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23Β° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

No question - the Masters. Not only do you get access to Augusta and the tournament for life, it's the only one with the Champions Dinner every year which seems like the coolest thing ever to be a part of. When Kenny Perry lost it this year, I was thinking losing out on not being able to go to that dinner every year would mean almost as much as losing the major.

Think about it - schmucks like Larry Mize are there every year!

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

• 5 years later...
Was just wanting other peoples opinion on what major they would want to win and why. Being English I probably should say the British open but I think the masters just shades it because of the green jacket and perks of winning. Going back Augusta every year knowing you have won must be such a amazing feeling anyway your thoughts?

I take it your American and if so is that because your in a similar frame of mind to me you want to win your home major or the masters

I am, but of Scottish, and Irish decent... :-D

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haha in that case do you call it the open or the British open?

The latter, but, I'd love to play there some time...really like links courses.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note:Β This thread is 2733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!