IGNORED

Is New Era of PGA Tour just started?

PiustheDrGolf
Note: This thread is 5354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes. I think so. It has been long and maybe too long that Tiger has been a dominant player over all other tour players. Especially one-on-one against Tiger on final round were just pure destruction of confidence for the other player (i.e, O'Hair, AK, Padraig, Rocco, Bryant, and many more) and acceptance of Tiger's superiority over others for us.

We, (at least, I) cheered for the opponent of Tiger for those weeks. Anytime newbies with bright future comes in Tour, we hoped the newbies would do it. FINALLY, Yang did it with perfection. Some says it's because of Tiger's putting but it was Yang's way all the way. He had total confidence and it brought perfect shots to pressure Tiger.

Tiger is beat-able. He was beat-able over 10 years but no one could do it. Yeasterday, Yang showed us & tour players how to do it. Now, Tiger is going to get challenged more and more and another Yang will hold trophies more and more. Let's celebrate the New Era of Golf. :)

Golf: Agony & Love over 3 Generations

Yeah Yang's celebrations were something to savour.

It is great for the game and I was so pleased to see him acknowledge all his fans and not take them for granted. Rory McIlroy will become ever more proficient and prominent in the majors and I predict big things for him-another player who enjoys the game and gives something back to the fans.

Ross Fisher, Duval, Casey, Poulter, Alvaro Quiros etc are all players to watch and admire.

No, I don't think a new era has started. We've seen this show, before. Rich Beem holding off an on-rushing Tiger at Hazeltine, Angel Cabrera holding off Tiger at Oakmont, Mickelson outplaying Tiger at TPC Boston while paired with him for four days, etc.

We'll only see a changing of the guard when there is some sustainability and someone else actually reaches a level of prominence. A few years ago, when Mickelson had won 3 out of 5 majors and was poised to win at Winged Foot, there was talk of Mickelson taking over. That did not happen. Until someone else can actually win 3 or 4 events in one year and no, I'm not talking about three tournaments the equivalent of the Mayokaba Golf Classic, then we can have this conversation.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

One lost lead by Tiger in a major and you want to usher in a 'new era'? The PGA Tour still is, and has been for a while, and will be for the foreseeable future, a buzz of 'new challengers' all fluttering about one constant: Tiger Woods.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Yes. I think so. It has been long and maybe too long that Tiger has been a dominant player over all other tour players. Especially one-on-one against Tiger on final round were just pure destruction of confidence for the other player (i.e, O'Hair, AK, Padraig, Rocco, Bryant, and many more) and acceptance of Tiger's superiority over others for us.

I tend to disagree. Just because Yang beat Tiger head to head does not mean it will be easier for others to do it. Maybe it will give other opponents a little more confidence in the future, but Tiger will still have his intimidating presence. Its not like a great football team or something where a team beats them and finally exposes a flaw in a shceme or something that will actually make it easier for others to follow suit.

I tend to disagree. Just because Yang beat Tiger head to head does not mean it will be easier for others to do it. Maybe it will give other opponents a little more confidence in the future, but Tiger will still have his intimidating presence. Its not like a great football team or something where a team beats them and finally exposes a flaw in a shceme or something that will actually make it easier for others to follow suit.

I tend to agree with you, Tiger just had an off day with the putter and maybe even some of his distance control with the irons. This is not the first time he has had off day with the putter, just the first time on the last day of a major with him up by 2 strokes. If he makes those first two putts of the day, same old era.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

You're making too much of a loss on Tiger. All the greats go through upsets. It's a natural part of life. This isn't black and white. Do you remember when Tiger came to view? He took over in a rampage. Have you seen another player do that yet? Tiger still has FIVE (5) wins this season coming back from a year off. He is still dominant. Losing is a part of life, and being treated like a big deal focuses on the wrong part of life.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe it will give other opponents a little more confidence in the future, but Tiger will still have his intimidating presence.

I wasn't saying that Tiger will not be an intimidating factor for other players because of Yang's win. All I want to say is that the CONFIDENCE, which many of players on head-to-head matches with Tiger did/could NOT have, will be embedded more to the other tour players. These guys are good.. too good. If they are equipped with the CONFIDENCE against Tiger, Yeah the New Era of PGA tour has just started.

Golf: Agony & Love over 3 Generations

It was really cool to see tiger get rattled but until I see AK Rory or any younger player do it I wouldn't say the new era has started.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I wasn't saying that Tiger will not be an intimidating factor for other players because of Yang's win. All I want to say is that the CONFIDENCE, which many of players on head-to-head matches with Tiger did/could NOT have, will be embedded more to the other tour players. These guys are good.. too good. If they are equipped with the CONFIDENCE against Tiger, Yeah the New Era of PGA tour has just started.

I tend to agree with you. As i said in another post before - once his aura of "the unbeatable guy" gets scratched more and more, other players will have more confidence, that beating him is actually possible (and stop shooting in the 70s on Sunday when they had solid rounds before), and not handing him victory on a silver plate, like they did quite a bit this season.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Tiger is beat-able. He was beat-able over 10 years but no one could do it. Yeasterday, Yang showed us & tour players how to do it. Now, Tiger is going to get challenged more and more and another Yang will hold trophies more and more. Let's celebrate the New Era of Golf.

I don't know what you mean by "he was beat-able [ sic ] over 10 years but no one could do it"....... He's played in something like 50 majors thus far and has won 14 times. Who won the remaining 36 odd times if "no one could do it"?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Who knows whether it will be a new era or not? You usually don't know you're in a new era until after you've been it awhile.

I don't imagine anyone thought in 1953 right after Hogan won the British Open for his 3rd major in a row, 6th major in the last 8 played, and 5 victories in 6 tournaments played that year that the era of Hogan was effectively over. But over it was.

Who knows? If in two years Tiger still hasn't won another major and has lost a few close ones, people might look back at yesterday as the place it all began.

While I agree this started a "new era" as you call it, I believe it will be a new era for Tiger and winning. He needs this. This will make him practice harder and play better.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Tigers career is over. He'll never win another tournament again.

Worth putting $1 on in Vegas, but I'm pretty sure this will be proven wrong before the year is over.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Yep, the era of Rory McIlroy is here.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

This is a preposterous thread.

Yang showed the world what? Yang holds the secret to making Tiger not make a single putt all day? If Tiger's putter shows up this isn't even close.

Yang was excellant and a joy to watch. Tiger hung in there for a lot of it but just being unable to make a few clutch putts killed him.

I expect Tiger to win 2 majors next year.

I don't know about a new era but it was fun to watch someone muster up the courage to walk through the door when Tiger left it open. The best putter I've ever seen putted like an average pro and was beaten because of it. I'm no huge Tiger fan but I must say he handled the defeat gracefully.

In a navy blue Vintage L8 stand bag
Big Bertha 454
Muirfield 20th 2 iron
Vip Tour CB-92 3-PW
by Macgregor Greg Norman Forged FW Special 55 BeCuTad Moore TM-2 Milled putter AD333/Trispeed

Note: This thread is 5354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!