IGNORED

Not sure what tees to play?

iWALK18
Note: This thread is 5361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I ran across this article and I think maybe it can't be posted enough.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/04/sp...ennington.html
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I ran across this article and I think maybe it can't be posted enough.

I agree, nothing worse than a group of people playing from the blacks or blues when they shouldn't be there! it slows down rounds soooooooooo much.

I can't count how many times i've seen people playing back tees shank their tee shots to the forward tees or shorter or slice them constantly onto another fairway.

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

I like about 5800-6000 which tends to be white tees at the courses I play. I shoot in the 85-92 range.

Odyssey white Hot 2 ball cut down to 29"

Cobra ZL 9.5 driver
Adams Speedline 3W 13*
TourEdge Bazooka 20* hybrid
Powerbilt forged combo 3-PW
Ping Tour S 52 and 56 wedges

According to the article, average 5i x 36 = total yardage you should be playing.

for me, that's about 6,800 yards.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I agree completely with the article. The only course I have played from the tips is a course near my house which is a little over 5800 yards. Other than that, I won't play black or championship tees for the sake of my game, and to the others playing.

Grom Stand Bag
2009 Burner Driver 10.5*
2009 Burner Fairway Wood 15*
A7 3H, 4H 5-PW
Affinity 56* SW CG15 60* White Hot XG 330 Mallet Putter Z Star Yellow Balls

most of the courses around here arent very long and i did the math on the 5i x 36 which is about 170 and is about 6100 which is most of the courses around here from the white tees, some a little shorter, some a little longer.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

I think I've always tended to play a little more conservative and hit from the white tees. I've started moving back on certain courses as my game has improved. Really depends on how many tee boxes they have. I think you have to take into consideration all three factors of rating, slope, and length.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

i like their little formula about 5i x 36. my average 5i is about 165, which gives me just shy of 6000 yards, which just happens to be the tees i tend to walk towards anyway.

I like that forumla (5i x 36) - makes sense. Most of my extra strokes are on/around the green, so choosing tees based on handicap is not that applicable (at least in my case).

I get pretty steamed playing behind a group of 4, all shooting from the tips, duffing, OBing, taking mulligan after mulligan...aarrgh.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

When I was playing in high school, at the peak of my skills before not playing for 6 years, I played a course in Williamsberg, VA from the back tees. They played a PGA tournament there at one point. The course was over 7k yards. It was brutal and I was consitently hitting a 3W off the tee 260. Instead of playing an 8i or 9i into a green, I was hitting a 5 iron most of the time. One par 5 was 600 yds long, I hit 3w, 5w, 8i into that hole. I managed to shoot an 89, but that was the last time I played on the black tees.

Driver: 909 D3 Diamana Blue
3 wood Ti Bubble 2
Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19 S Fujikura
4-PW: ZB NS Pro 100 S
GW: 51 VokeySW: 55 VokeyLW: 60 BeCuPutter: Red X3 or Del Mar 2 TeI3Ball: TP Red LDP or Pro V1x

6,300 to 6,600 works fine by me.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

As a bad, bad golfer I like this idea a lot. My five iron is a club I'm pretty consistent with, and I hit it 150. Multiply by 36 and it 5400 yards which sounds like a distance which would be comfortable for me.

I'm playing a course tomorrow and as it turns out the gold tees there come in a little over 5400 so I will play from there. My buddy will laugh at me, but he already laughs at how I play. It turns the typical par 4s there from 350-380 range down to 300 to 340. One or two par 4s are even under 300 from the gold tees. There are a couple of par 5s over 540 and they are reduced to 460-480. I believe my frustration level will go down a lot.

175 times 36 works out to 6300 yards, which is just about in the middle of my comfort zone for course lengths.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I played a lil local course today for the first time. Actually only had time for 9 but they had 4 sets of tee boxes. I played the one just back from the ladies. I shot a seven over par 43 and had a blast (started with a triple bogey ). They had a couple tricky 280-320 yard par 4's that were pretty cool. And my ego wasn't affected by playing the close tees whatsoever!!!

In my Nike SasQuatch Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 9.5 Stiff
Irons: Ping G5 4-P
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Cleveland bent to 49*
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Ball: Srizon Z-Star Yellow
Range: SkyCaddie 2.5

Note: This thread is 5361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!