IGNORED

GPS vs Laser Rangefinder

Note: This thread is 2518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are you not good enough that you ever foresee yourself playing in any sort of tournament (or rich enough that you can afford the non-slope version when that time comes)?

Just got a good deal.....plus it's cool to know the actual distance If I play tournament, then I have to buy the non slope edition. Yours is slope edition?

909 D2 10.5* Diamana stiff
909 F2 15.5* Diamana stiff
909 h 21*
909 h 24*
MP-57 5 - PW Project X 5.5 stiff Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Putter Black Series 1 Sumo Bag GX1 and uPro GPS

I have used both and really like the GPS because you know the front and back distances on the green as well. GPS is pretty handy

The back and front distances can also be obtained with a laser. Just shoot the contours or a landmark (lip of the front bunker by the green front...etc).

i was on the same boat as you, i didnt want to spend the $400 for the gps.

but i did, and i am happy i did.

pros: updates itself, has pretty much all golf courses, very accurate

cons: price, but the offset is that it last forever, not like our golf clubs that we want a new one every 1-3 years.

i love that it gives me the yardage to the front & back of all the sand traps, water hazards,
front, middle, back of the green
etc...

i cant live with out this thing.
i forgot it on my computer on morning, and i got to the course and realized i forgot it at home. I couldn't go back home it wasn't that close to me. so i played the rest of the day without it, man was I miserable. i cant live without that little gps. it tells me everything i need, and it actually saves me lots of strokes because of its pin point accuaracy. worked at every course i went to public, semi private, private, and crappy courses that should go out of business.
best equipment in my bag for sure

glad i can help

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the problem with rangefinders is i never know if the reading is what i actually am pointing at......i could be aimed at the back of the green, jerk my hand, and get a reading to a house

i like the rangefinder we have that gives a reading based off of something in the flagstick

if i wanted to spend $400 on a GPS, i would....but i'd rather spend it on clubs/balls

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

• Administrator
Just got a good deal.....plus it's cool to know the actual distance

No. I also wouldn't call it the "actual distance" either, because the actual distance is what the laser measures. The distance the slope version gives you is an approximation based on the trajectory of an average golfer's shots.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
So I have read through this whole thread and it looks like the range finder is the better bet.

I just wondered if anyone has any new input about recent GPS units or new range finders. I think I'm gonna purchase a PinSeeker sometime next week.

• Administrator
So I have read through this whole thread and it looks like the range finder is the better bet.

Get the Leupold instead. Save you money, lightweight, works beautifully.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I got my Sonocaddie for something like 139.00 during a sale at Costco or Walmart before Xmas.

I actually emailed the coupon to the wife and said "order this now" before they are gone.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

I personally love my SkyCaddies S3.

I like the fact that I can keep a stack of double A batteries in my cart/bag and not have to worry about charging it and it seems to be accurate.

Laserfinders are nice if you have steady hands, my hands tend to shake if I'm doing something tedious so they don't seem to work for me.

I would definitely recommend getting something that takes batteries rather than charges, my friends charges which means hes always going dead and asking me for yardages.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

I just bought a GolfBuddy Plus gps at our local golf store (perfect lies) was on sale for $199 canadian (priced online at american sites for $399) and it came with lots of courses I play at already loaded. It even has courses that my b/f can't get on his SkyCaddie.

Going to try it our today at Riverway Golf Course!

i never have a problem finding the near accurate distance to the pin with my rangefinder, it's just common sense.

You take the estimate of how far you think you are, let's say 175 yards. You zoom in on the pin and if the reading says 225, you're obviously looking at something other than the pin but if the rangefinder reads 179 4x in a row, that's prob. pretty close to accurate.

Last week I won a GolfLogix ('08 Model) on Ebay for $242.00 (GPS and Shipping). Also included the first year subscription. I also have a Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 that I have had for 6 to 8 years (can't remember when I got it) that works best when it's on SCAN mode. No real problems with it, it's just big and bulky and like people say, you gotta get it out and deal with it (aim, shoot, keep steady). Newer versions might keep steadier than mine, though mine isn't too bad even as old as it is, as long as I have it in scan mode. It is nice that you can pick out the yardage to anything out on the course (I have to make a comment to the guy who mentioned he didn't know if it was the pin he was reading or a house - - - easy enough to know the pin isn't 400 yards away when the hole is only a 160-yard par 3). But I know what you are getting at, you gotta hold it steady.

The reason I decided to go with the GolfLogix is because I got paired up with a guy last weekend who had one (plus it's made by Garmin so I figure they won't be going out of business any time soon - - - not that the others will, but just for the reliability of the company). First time I ever saw one used, and it seemed so much easier to use since all you did was look down, see the yardage and go. Yardages were comparable to my rangefinder (and unlike the good players on this board, I can't hit my clubs accurately to the yard; it's just nice for me to know that I'm not taking too much club (I still have to hit it, but that has nothing to do with the unit you use to get the yardage).

For a while, I'll use both when it won't hold up play, otherwise for now I'll try just the GPS when I need yardage.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

The back and front distances can also be obtained with a laser. Just shoot the contours or a landmark (lip of the front bunker by the green front...etc).

Not if you're 50 feet below the hole and can't see anything but the pin (if even that). If you're at least slightly higher than the hole then yes, you can.

My Equipment:

I bought the Bushnell Scout 1000 a few weeks ago. It works great and was only $200 and there is a $50 rebate so net with taxes and shipping it's about $170. I'm sure the Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 works perfectly, but I've been amazed out how well the Scout works and how quick it is. I normally walk so pulling it from a high pocket on my bag only takes seconds and I have the yardage. It's helped me to take 3-4 strokes off my round from low 80's to high 70's.

Good luck with your decision.

I use a yardage book now, just realized my club had them. Still refer to my dads Sky caddie for carrying ponds, or fairway bunkers, but the yardage book works like a charm.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

I use a yardage book now, just realized my club had them. Still refer to my dads Sky caddie for carrying ponds, or fairway bunkers, but the yardage book works like a charm.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Every.course.should.have.a.yardage.b o ok. Don't get me wrong, I love my rangefinder. But yardage books are awesome. Nothing like that overhead view of the hole with the numbers right on it. They usually have a few tips as well. And all for about $5 when they are available. Whippit- Which course/club is yours (with the yardage books)?

I used my GPS for the first time today. Much better than the rangefinder for ease of use; no having to pull it out , aim and push the button. I like just looking down, getting the yardage and having a go at it. I'm not at the skill level where it matters exactly how far; just knowing front, middle and back of the green distance was good enough for me. I'm still trying to make more of my shots go past the pin rather than be short and off the green. When I can make my approaches do that, then I'll be a little more worried about distance.
My Equipment:

i never have a problem finding the near accurate distance to the pin with my rangefinder, it's just common sense.

Getting an estimate with a range finder defeats the purpose of having one:)

I think the GPS is better all around. The range finder is great inside 100, but I play in heavy wind (oregon coast) and it can be hard to hold the range finders steady.

Note: This thread is 2518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!