IGNORED

Just switched from SGI clubs to a Players Cavity.

schigara
Note: This thread is 5363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have played, for about 6 months, with a set of Adams Idea Tech OS which is 7-PW CB, 5-6 Hybrid Iron and 3-4 Hybrid. I loved them at first but grew to hate them as they were very difficult to shape and were goofy heavy.

I went to a used golf store today looking for some blades, to try the other extreme, and found a set of Adams Tight Lies Tour irons which I assume are players cavity backs. Hitting them felt amazing! The soles are very thin as well as the top edges. I snapped them up and went straight to the range.

I was hitting from the grass range, so I could see where on the face the impact occurred and I was making pure contact in the sweet spot all the way from the PW to the 3 iron. I was amazed. Every club feels the same. They all feel as light as a sand wedge! I used to hit the Idea Tech OS 7 iron 150yards 50% of the time because half would be fat shots. I hit the new 7 iron 160 yards 95% of the time and all were in the sweet spot.

I don't know what will happen on the course until tomorrow but man, I swear, this is the most fun I have had in years hitting irons.

I hit the 3 iron just as easy as the 7 or 9 and I am looking for a 2 iron on Ebay to go with this set. I don't think I'll need it as I can hit the Speedline 3W 13* 230-240yards but I am hooked on the old school way of hitting long irons. I am just loving it. When I hit the 3 iron, it feels just as effortless as hitting a 54 sandwedge.

Odyssey white Hot 2 ball cut down to 29"

Cobra ZL 9.5 driver
Adams Speedline 3W 13*
TourEdge Bazooka 20* hybrid
Powerbilt forged combo 3-PW
Ping Tour S 52 and 56 wedges

I found the same thing, when I switched to smaller soled irons I made better contact. I don't think anyone needs huge soled irons. They don't help

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I found the same thing, when I switched to smaller soled irons I made better contact. I don't think anyone needs huge soled irons. They don't help

I think that's a ridiculous statement...

Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

why?
when i switched i could hit more types of shots. I couldnt hit the ball as easily from the fairway with the big soled irons.
Maybe its a personal thing.
Plus, you have the Nike CCI forged, those are thin soled..

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't like a big clubhead. I don't like irons with a huge cavity and I don't like 400cc+ drivers. For a player below 20 in handicap, he or she may find that a smaller cavity is preferable. The SGI clubs have really huge cavities. You can find lots of clubs with a smaller cavity that give you forgiveness.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Ya, I can't stand looking down on a chunky club at address. That's why I got the r7's. The soles aren't very wide and the cavity isn't too huge, not quite a players cavity but defintely not like the big berthas or burners. I really couldn't be happier with these irons. And for 350 bucks you cannot beat it. I hit the Labor Day Sale at Golf Galaxy the day after my birthday party.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

Well, I just got back from the course and I am still in love. My best score until now has been a 85 and I shot an 86 on the first 18 and an 82 on the second round.

I got in a situation today where I had 185 to the green on the left rough with trees in the way and pulled out the 4 iron and hit a beautiful draw that started 10 yards right of the green and hit the green with a 7 foot putt for birdie and was able to drop it.

I'm exhausted from 36 holes today but I'm going back again in the morning for another 18. Who knows.....maybe I can break into the 70's!

Odyssey white Hot 2 ball cut down to 29"

Cobra ZL 9.5 driver
Adams Speedline 3W 13*
TourEdge Bazooka 20* hybrid
Powerbilt forged combo 3-PW
Ping Tour S 52 and 56 wedges

I think that's a ridiculous statement...

I

know it's a ridiculous statement. They make clubs that way for a reason. SGI irons don't work for everybody, but they work for a lot of people. FWIW, I've hit multiple types of blades, player's cavity backs, GI, and SGI irons. I certainly have preferences, but I can hit them all.

Note: This thread is 5363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!