IGNORED

MP58 or AP2

Note: This thread is 5284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just hit the MP58 and 2008 AP2 both with PX 5.5. All I can say is WOW. Both of these irons felt amazing. The MP58 felt a little bit more buttery but the AP2 still felt great as well. The top line of the MP58 was a little thinner and looked a little bit better at address.

Both felt great but I'm not sure which one to get. I can get th AP2 710 or 2008 AP2 for much cheaper then the MP58 so that might be the deciding factor...but I'm still on the fence and I think I want the MP58 just a bit more...I also might be able to get some Bridgestone J36 CB for REALLY cheap so if that happens then I'll get those, but right now I'm still waiting on those...If I can't get those though I'm really don't know what to get...AP2 or MP58...WHAT TO DO!

SUMMARY: Like both the MP58 and AP2 but liked the look and feel of the MP58 a bit more. I can get the AP2 for MUCH cheaper then the MP58. Don't know what to do!

Bag: Corza Stand Bag
Driver: Launcher 460 Comp 9.5
Woods: Burner 3/5
Irons: TA7 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: 588 Tour Action 51*/57*Putter: Two bar blade center shaft

Have you hit the New AP1s? They might change your mind.

In my
Extreme Sport bag:
FTiq 10° Stiff Flex Driver
906F4 Fairway 15.5°
SQ 3/5i Hybrids 21°/26° AP1 S300 4-W SV Tour 54° Vokey Oil Can 58° Nike iC 20-10A Blade Putter"The only Pro-V that I use is my shampoo." - Me

It is the AP2's that I am interested in and I have not hit the new 710 version yet.

SUMMARY: Like both the MP58 and AP2 but liked the look and feel of the MP58 a bit more. I can get the AP2 for MUCH cheaper then the MP58. Don't know what to do!

You say you like the look and feel of the MP58 a bit more. In the long run, the cost difference is trivial when you compare all the money one spends on golf. My advice: you're investing in years of recreation, so be somewhat blind to the price tag, and focus on what you feel will play the best for you.

If you get the MP58, it is likely you'll forget the cost difference the moment you start playing with them. If you get the AP2, you'll likely always wonder "what if?" and think you perhaps should have got the Mizuno's instead. And probably end up buying a set anyway sometime later.

You say you like the look and feel of the MP58 a bit more. In the long run, the cost difference is trivial when you compare all the money one spends on golf. My advice: you're investing in years of recreation, so be somewhat blind to the price tag, and focus on what you feel will play the best for you.

Well the cost difference is about $500 so its a pretty big thing to consider which is why I'm having such a hard time deciding.

If I were right handed and was looking for a good "players" iron, I would most probably get the bridgestone. You can get them for less than 250 brand new on ebay.

I have a question. If you are a 27 why would you want something that is going to kill you on misses? I went from a GI to MP 60 and didn't like them at all. I just got what I have and very happy not to be punished as hard for my misses.

Brian

so how much can you get the mp58 for and the new ap2?
In my Warbird Hot Stand Bag:

Driver: R9 420cc 9.5° stiff
3 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #3 Stiff
5 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #5 Stiff3 Hybrid: Burner 08 Rescue #3 StiffIrons: MX-25 4-G Project X 5.5SW: CG12 STD bounce 56° Black PearlLW: CG12 STD bounce 60° Black PearlPutter: California...

If I were right handed and was looking for a good "players" iron, I would most probably get the bridgestone. You can get them for less than 250 brand new on ebay.

I'm not a 27 I just haven't changed it. My Iron play is the best part of my game. I don't want something Game Improvement. For some reason I don't hit them that well and I don't really like the look. I also like the fact that when I mess up my shot with a players iron I know that it was my fault and what I did wrong so it helps me to correct my flaws and play better. In short it just feels that much more rewarding when I hit it well.

I'm not a 27 I just haven't changed it. My Iron play is the best part of my game. I don't want something Game Improvement. For some reason I don't hit them that well and I don't really like the look. I also like the fact that when I mess up my shot with a players iron I know that it was my fault and what I did wrong so it helps me to correct my flaws and play better. In short it just feels that much more rewarding when I hit it well.

To each there own. I know from my last irons that I wasn't getting the flight I needed and my index went up 3 points over the course of one year. Of course I hit some great shots with them but I only hit one pure shot out of 5 on a typical round. I know they didn't work for me and I like being able to hit a green if I don't hit it perfect. I would think something in between a players club and a GI is more appropriate for people of my skill level (mx300, x22 tours, some others) if you can't play a ton and want to enjoy a round/score the best I can.

Brian

To each there own. I know from my last irons that I wasn't getting the flight I needed and my index went up 3 points over the course of one year. Of course I hit some great shots with them but I only hit one pure shot out of 5 on a typical round. I know they didn't work for me and I like being able to hit a green if I don't hit it perfect. I would think something in between a players club and a GI is more appropriate for people of my skill level (mx300, x22 tours, some others) if you can't play a ton and want to enjoy a round/score the best I can.

Yea I totally understand what you're saying. Fortunately here in So Cal I can play year round. I practice more then once a week and play at least 2 times a month so I get a lot of time in. I also still have fun being out there with friends anyway even if I'm not playing well. If my round is not going well then I usually just switch my focus towards practicing then trying to shoot the lowest score I can. Either way I still enjoy the time out there.

Honestly, go with the 58's....

I had this same dillema as you last week.... There were other clubs that I could buy, but I knew I would always say "what if" If I didnt get the Mizunos....

So I pulled the trigger on the 57's and I am VERY VERY happy that I did! Shot my lowest round ever and had the confidence I needed, something Ive never had before....

Just pretend your over the ball right now, which club would you rather have in your hand?

Thats what should determine what you buy...

Now the devils advocate part... $500 bucks is pretty serious.... If it were only 100 or 200 I'd say 58's hands down, from what you have said.... But 500 bucks is 500 bucks..... All Im gonna say.

What club do you want to look down at when your addressing the ball?

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

the AP2's are really nice.

I can't comment on the MP58's as I havn't hit them

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Honestly, go with the 58's....

I know what you're saying and the answer is the MP58..but how much more is the question. Both are great. Anyway, its not time to pull the trigger yet so I have some more time to mull it over. Thanks for the input though. It's definitely appreciated.

i dont know where the HELL your shopping in LA but 58s and ap2s are $999 at damn near every golf store... i hope your not shopping at your course clubhouse.

in my TMX T2 Bag

R9 460 TP 10.5* Motore F1 Stiff
Burner 3w 15*
09 Rescue 19* 2009 Burner 4-PW + GW (FST KBS shafts) TP Wedges, 54/60 Newport 2 Pro V1

I know what you're saying and the answer is the MP58..but how much more is the question. Both are great. Anyway, its not time to pull the trigger yet so I have some more time to mull it over. Thanks for the input though. It's definitely appreciated.

There is a used set of 58's here on this site in the marrketplace tab. Not sure if they would fit you but it might be worth looking at.

i dont know where the HELL your shopping in LA but 58s and ap2s are $999 at damn near every golf store... i hope your not shopping at your course clubhouse.

58's would be retail cost...AP2 I have a friend who gets a deep discount from Titleist.

I just hit the MP58 and 2008 AP2 both with PX 5.5. All I can say is WOW. Both of these irons felt amazing. The MP58 felt a little bit more buttery but the AP2 still felt great as well. The top line of the MP58 was a little thinner and looked a little bit better at address.

If your gonna spend full price on the MP58's you should honestly wait until you can hit the AP2 "710's". EVERYTHING I have read and heard is that the "710s" are WAY better than the 08's and fix a lot of things some people did not like about the AP2's. So WAIT until you can hit the 710's IMO........

If you really want to try the MP58 and want get it at a cheaper price I recommend you this website

Do you work for this company? I'm sorry but it is blindingly obvious that the clubs sold on this website are counterfeit. Look at the prices. BEWARE!

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Note: This thread is 5284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!