IGNORED

Have you ever hit a 1-Iron?

James_Black
Note: This thread is 3529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would have no shot hitting that Tempo 1 iron. None whatsoever.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just sold a PING Eye 2 1 iron and shipped it out today. Have a Tommy Armour Ti100 1 iron with a TA stiff graphite shaft if anybody's interested.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I currently have a Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 iron in my bag, and I really regret getting it. I have a lot of trouble hitting it even off the tee. It's marevelous for low punch shots under the trees or even under the bushes. Much easier to punch than, say, a 5 iron, due to the very open club face. Other than that it really has no use in my bag. I just like the professional look of the MP line (the cut muscle) and it's always there sitting tempting me to try hitting it and regreting after it.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

I carried a Hogan Apex (Blade) 1-iron from 1988 to 2000 and used it quite often, usually once per round. I normally used it off the tee on tight par-4's, aproach shots to par-5's, or real long par-3's. The ball flight for me was just slightly lower than my 3-iron and I hit it around 230yds.

The best shot I ever hit with it I also won a $5 bet on the shot. My brother and I were playing a round with our cousin who had never played with us before. We came to this extremely long 235yd par-3. I pull out my 1-iron and my cousin says "your hitting a 1-iron, I'll bet you $5 you won't even come close to the green". My brother tried to save him and said "I wouldn't bet him if I were you, he's pretty good with that club". But he insisted he wanted to bet. I was more than comfortable hitting the club but the shot I hit was a little extra special. It never left the flag, landed 5 feet short of the hole, almost rolled in and finished 18 inches past the cup. My cousin almost fell over and my brother and I laughed all the way to the green! Sweetest $5 I ever earned,,,lol!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

There were a few years in the 90's when I didn't carry a wood in my bag. I couldn't hit them, probably mental. I had a cheap Wilson 1-iron that I could kill. I would hit it 260+. One day a friend on the 18th said if I could hit it over a hill, he would by me a drink at the clubhouse. I swung as hard as I could, and it measured 318!

I later got a Ping Eye 2 1 and 2 iron. Loved them both. I am 6'3" so I decided to lengthen my irons by an inch. I added 2.5 inches to the 1-iron, and it became unhittable. About that time, I found some confidence in a driver, so the old 1 got put in the old-club bag. I still carry the 2 iron, but hardly ever use it.

Sounds familiar -- for the first several years of playing I was hopeless with driver and not much better with 3 wood. I found a 2 iron that I hit incredibly well. When I got a new set of irons, decided to get a 1 iron with it. It was impossible to hit, so I stuck with the old set's 2 iron.

I've still got the 1 iron and it's in great shape, for obvious reasons. I actually like to use it now as a training aid. I'll bring it to the range and hit a few dozen balls with it. You might be able to sit and hit pretty 7 irons all day, but the 1 iron takes your practice to a whole new level. The slightest breakdown in your swing will create the ugliest shots of your life -- plus the sting in your hands on a mishit is a good reinforcement.

There's no doubt that hybrids and more hittable woods have brought our scores down, but there's something romantic and comforting about trying to hit that 1 iron, and I swear, there's no sweeter view in golf than a crisply hit long iron, flying on a low/boring trajectory, with a little draw at the end.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

I carried it for years, they were not uncommon in Kansas. Blade? Uh yeah, not a lot of room back there. You needed to hang on or it would sting your hands.

That looks like the same club Old Tom Morris used to putt with.

Intimidating!

Driver= Titleist 909D3 9.5 deg
3 Wood= Titleist 909F3 15 deg
Hybrid= Adams Idea Pro Black 19 deg
Irons 3-P= Titleist 695 CB
Wedges= Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 54/10, 60/4Putter= Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5Ball= Titleist ProV1x, NXT Tour

Carried a 1-iron for a while. Great weapon to have if you're hitting them well. Not so good if you're not.

Back in 1647, when I was a young man, I bought a set of Jack Nicklaus instructional videos. One of the tapes was about the long game and one of the lessons was on the 1-iron, which Jack hit as good as anybody in his day.

Eventually the tape gets to the bit where Jack was going to show us "how to hit a 1-iron high" .

Kind of lost interest at that point.

Great rewards if you can master the 1-iron.

a friend gave me a Ping eye 2 BeCu 1 iron that I was hitting off the tee and sometime from the fairway, but I have not tried that for over 10 years especially since the hybrids and improved fairway woods.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I hit, or let's say at least tried hitting a 1 iron. A Callaway X-14 cavity back 1 iron (I didn't even know there were X-14 1 irons) and all my tries went in vain. Hit it off the tee, all I could get was wrist pain and no more than 50 yards with severe left and right ball flight.

With (some) respect (don't take it personally as there are other similar remarks here),

IT isn't useless......I suspect you might have something to do with it. Why on Earth would you think that as a 28 hcp. player, you could hit a 1-iron properly? I would say that if you can hit anything over a 4-iron, consistently well, that is the mark of a good swing....and I don't include hybrids in this.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I own a 0 iron. It's a Tommy Armour 845 cavity back that came with the set when I bought it locally. I also have the matching 1-3 irons to boot. I highly doubt I'll ever use them though.

Thought John Daly was the only person to own one?

Did they release them to the public? edit: A 1-iron has 15-16 degrees of loft. What loft would a 0 iron have?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

When I was playing a lot it was my go to club. I loved that thing it was the epitome of a butter knife. I think the model was a Cleveland 788 that thing looked less like a golf club and more like a putty knife but it was absolutely solid. I still have but see no need for it any more as my 16 degree hybrid is much more versatile.

I used to be afraid of anything lower than a 4-iron. Now I think I've got the speed to hit something like this, but I think it would take an old wound ball. The balls nowadays aren't designed for these clubs. I remember Tiger saying he took his college 1-iron to the range and couldn't get it up in the air. He couldn't figure out how he used to hit it. Then he tried an old sleeve of Titleist professionals and the ball soared. You gotta have the ball match the club to get it up in the air. One of my favorite shots to see, though completely useless, is a 3-iron stinger with a ladies ball. It shoots off ultra low and then climbs like an F-14. It's good for turning heads at the range. That's about it.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I used to be afraid of anything lower than a 4-iron. Now I think I've got the speed to hit something like this, but I think it would take an old wound ball. The balls nowadays aren't designed for these clubs. I remember Tiger saying he took his college 1-iron to the range and couldn't get it up in the air. He couldn't figure out how he used to hit it. Then he tried an old sleeve of Titleist professionals and the ball soared. You gotta have the ball match the club to get it up in the air. One of my favorite shots to see, though completely useless, is a 3-iron stinger with a ladies ball. It shoots off ultra low and then climbs like an F-14. It's good for turning heads at the range. That's about it.

How is it useless? Wouldn't it have a good bit of distance and would stop/spin back on greens?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

How is it useless?

Ballooning is a loss of distance. You are right, it would probably land softly, but I can float a Pro V1 with the same swing, better distance, still lands softly, doesn't get affected by the wind (Texas) and gives me better control around the greens. The ladies balls are cool to look at when they fly away, but that's about it. I don't play a ball because it looks cool, I play it because it helps me score. Obviously nothing in golf is completely useless, so maybe I mis-spoke. I should have said the costs don't outweigh the benefits.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Note: This thread is 3529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!