IGNORED

Ball fitting

just hit it
Note: This thread is 5289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I expect some controversy on this topic. But how does everyone feel about ball fittings or balls with different characteristics. Should their be different specs for different balls or should we all be playing the same thing. Other sports have standardized balls. I usually play with Bridgestone rx330 or Pro V1, I just like them, never been through a formal fitting. Don't beat me up to bad, I'm just curious. Personally I lead to the one ball, or maybe a pro spec and a amateur spec.

• Administrator
The golf ball is personal equipment in golf. In every sport I can think of you're allowed to customize personal equipment that isn't shared with the other players.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ball fitting is theoretical to me. i mean you get custom fitted for all your other equipment, and your ball is the only piece of your equipment that you use on every single one of your shots, so why not have it be the best one for you.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

ball fitting is theoretical to me. i mean you get custom fitted for all your other equipment, and your ball is the only piece of your equipment that you use on every single one of your shots, so why not have it be the best one for you.

is your ball the ebst ball for you

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

is your ball the ebst ball for you

most likely not. if your asking if i have gotten a ball fitting, no i havnt.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

If it really bothers you, there is a ball fitting site, I forgot the exact name of it, but you can look it up, and from what I have heard its pretty exact....

I just play a Pro V1, and it works for me.... I know I have one of the best balls out there, and thats good enough for me...

I just got 50 of them used on ebay for 30 bucks, so the price is right too.

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

I just play a Pro V1, and it works for me.... I know I have one of the best balls out there, and thats good enough for me...

It may be one of the best balls out there, but it may not be one of the best balls for you

There are so many different balls on the market, each with slighly different characteristics. I am sure a ball that 'fits' your game better, be it by reducing spin / increasing spin, or through some other characteristic, then surely it is worth looking into - may help your game and save you a few dollars more
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

I played a Nike Power soft today - shot 2 under par.

I played a Top Flite D2 Feel the other day - shot one over.

I shoot the exact same scores with Pro V1s, but I like the Pro V1s better.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

The golf ball is personal equipment in golf. In every sport I can think of you're allowed to customize personal equipment that isn't shared with the other players.

Yea....what he said....

-Beane

Well said man, I just LIKE the v1 better, which is why I play it....

I shoot pretty much the same exact scores no matter what ball I use.

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

I play whatever I have in my bag.

But if I had to choose I'd play with a pro V1 (nice bit of spin) on par 4's, Pro V1x (less spin more distance) on par 5's and callaway tour i's (extreme spin) on par 3's.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I play whatever I have in my bag.

my theory is to fit your ball backwards. e.g. start with putting, then short game to find the right fit. for me, the difference off the tee in golf balls in rather minimal (as long as it isn't one of these no-spin balls designed for 30 handicaps

Bag: Three Five Yellow
Driver: 905R 9.5 Degree, Fujikawa Shaft Shift
3-Wood: Sumo2 15 degree
Hybrids 19 and 21 degree
Irons tour x-20 (5-PW)Wedges vokey 52.08,56.14, 60.04Putter circa 62 #1: Pro V1Where I usually play: Rush Creek

But if I had to choose I'd play with a pro V1 (nice bit of spin) on par 4's, Pro V1x (less spin more distance) on par 5's and callaway tour i's (extreme spin) on par 3's.

you do know thats illegal right??your only supposed to have one kind of ball to use,so if you ever play in a big tourney keep that in mind.

I play ProV1. Recently, for one Par 3 over a very large water hazard on my course that I almost always lose a ball on, I bought Top Flight balls at Target that are about $1 per ball. I got tired of putting ProV1 balls in there. Anyway, I wrote "Hail Mary" on the side of the Top Flights. Ever since I bought the Hail Mary balls, I've not lost a ball on that Par 3. Very weird. I'm sure since I've given up caring about putting a ball in the drink, all the tension is gone and I'm just relaxed.

I'm interested in thoughts on the difference between the ProV1 and ProV1x. I'm sure there is a thread, but if anyone cares to chime in on that who plays those balls, that would be great.

- DN
Sun Mountain C-130 Bag - Titanium
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

• Administrator
you do know thats illegal right??your only supposed to have one kind of ball to use,so if you ever play in a big tourney keep that in mind.

No it's not. Look up Appendix 1 Part C(c). That rule isn't in effect for casual play. Or even most club championships, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No it's not. Look up Appendix 1 Part C(c). That rule isn't in effect for casual play. Or even most club championships, etc.

Originally Posted by ping12

you do know thats illegal right??your only supposed to have one kind of ball to use,so if you ever play in a big tourney keep that in mind. I didnt see him say casual play and I sure dont think big tourney means your sunday skins and pins either.
Driver Tit 907D2 9.5 aldila spec grid 67s
HybidTit 585H 19* s flex
IronsTit 775cb 3-pw
WedgesTit vokey 52* 56* 60*
Putter Rife Barbados 35" winn mid pistol gripGolfballBridgestone B330-s/taylormade tp black/titleist prov1x

my theory is to fit your ball backwards. e.g. start with putting, then short game to find the right fit. for me, the difference off the tee in golf balls in rather minimal (as long as it isn't one of these no-spin balls designed for 30 handicaps

same here

I love what the Prov1 does around the greens serious bite and awesome feel off the putter...helps me feel the subtle impact of a well stroked putt distance lost off the tee for me is minimal compared to distance balls side-to-side workability of the ball is a huge factor for me...this ball responds very well to such requests cost is the only drawback, but the improved duribility of the '09 version offsets this somewhat...also I find that I am more conservative in my shot selection to prevent lost balls (helps scoring, too)
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• 2 weeks later...
I like the fact that we can choose different balls. Not only for the game point but it also doesnt hurt the wallet. It also make the game more intersting cause differnt balls do differnt things. If we had one consistent ball everyone would expect the same results with every player :(

Driver: R7 SuperQuad S-Flex
3 Wood: SQ Dymo
5 Wood: SQ Dymo
Irons: Victory Red Blades 2-PW
Wedges: Victory Red 60 & CG10 56Putter: No Name brand

Note: This thread is 5289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!