IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I don't know about your closed face - but some people requires assistance getting the club to square up with a 460cc club. So it depends on whether you are squaring up that closed face.

As to the 12 degrees, it depends on your shaft - I use an Adams 9088UL 12.5 with a Fuji Blur 55 and it is mid kick - I use S&T; and ball flight does not get too high. But if you have a low kick shaft, when you get to an S&T; swing, and it will take time, then you may not need the low kick shaft.

You'll need to make certain adjustments with the driver to get it high - see two golf evolution videos available on you tube - one deals with driver adjustments with the S&T; swing, the other with getting flight up - the throw the boulder video. They are helpful and required viewing.

Thanks for the reply.

The shaft in the driver is an Aldila NV 65-S (Low-Mid) launch angle.

Originally Posted by keeps21

Thanks for the reply.

The shaft in the driver is an Aldila NV 65-S (Low-Mid) launch angle.

Ought to work - if no instructor nearby, get the S&T; book, look at videos here and on stackandtitltgolfswing.com and golf evolution.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Ought to work - if no instructor nearby, get the S&T; book, look at videos here and on stackandtitltgolfswing.com and golf evolution.

Great!

Ordered the book earlier today so will hopefully have that to work from later this week.

I've only managed to read the first 30 pages of this thread (since last night) so still have a lot more reading on here to do too!

Great!

Ordered the book earlier today so will hopefully have that to work from later this week.

I've only managed to read the first 30 pages of this thread (since last night) so still have a lot more reading on here to do too!

I did not read the thread - eric and mike have some good video, but the book is a great place to start - I've read it several times, and go back to certain pages for more detail. Each time you pick it up, you learn more. Hit those golf evolution videos. They help --- a lot.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Well I've finally managed to read through the whole of this thread - was definitely worth the time taken.

Hopefully my S&T; book will be here in the next couple of days.

I've added a couple of practice backswings onto my swing thread for some critique - http://thesandtrap.com/t/46032/my-swing-keeps21

Would be great if someone who knows what they're talking about could take a look for me.

Thanks

Well I've finally managed to read through the whole of this thread - was definitely worth the time taken.

Hopefully my S&T; book will be here in the next couple of days.

I've added a couple of practice backswings onto my swing thread for some critique - http://thesandtrap.com/t/46032/my-swing-keeps21

Would be great if someone who knows what they're talking about could take a look for me.

Thanks

I was in your shoes - I tried to teach myself reading the book and watching the videos - I finally gave in and took a lesson and my self teaching effort was half-baked. I've had about half a dozen lessons over 2 years and seen much improvement despite lots of stuff of life getting in the way of continuous practice - my advice is to take lessons. There are a couple of official SnT instructors in your neck of the woods I think. It's worth it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question regarding the hip slide.

Once the hips begin sliding, the right foot banks as a result of the hips moving to the left.

So for a player who has enough lateral hip motion but too much rotational motion (the right heel lifting off the ground too early) to keep the right heel on the ground longer and bank, would it feel like the right leg stays straight thru impact and into the follow through?

• Administrator
I have a question regarding the hip slide. Once the hips begin sliding, the right foot banks as a result of the hips moving to the left. So for a player who has enough lateral hip motion but too much rotational motion (the right heel lifting off the ground too early) to keep the right heel on the ground longer and bank, would it feel like the right leg stays straight thru impact and into the follow through?

Yes, often that works for them - the feeling that their right knee never bends again from A4.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was suprised to see Sergio is considered a "stack and tilt" swinger.

My swing is instantly compared to Sergio, (too much hands and lag), so I always thought all those moving parts were the opposite of the S & T theory.

I supposse it is more based on his body movement?

• Administrator
I was suprised to see Sergio is considered a "stack and tilt" swinger.

He isn't. He simply does "most" of the pieces. But almost every PGA Tour pro does "most" of the pieces.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by miami8miami

Would a good drill be to set up with the right leg straight and hit balls to the finish?

If you mean the hips forward drill, sure.  If you mean setup like normal, but get your legs to A4 and swing, seems too rigid to me, but maybe in slow-mo.  You need some dynamicism (English abuse alert) in drills for them to work effectively, IMO.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• Administrator
Would a good drill be to set up with the right leg straight and hit balls to the finish?

Worked for Steve Elkington.

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami8miami

Worked for Steve Elkington.

He was doing that in the 1990s too?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
He was doing that in the 1990s too?

I'm just pointing out that for 63 holes at the 2005 PGA he did it on actual swings in a major (with even more exaggerated practice swings).

• 2 weeks later...
I've read a lot of posts on this site about the S&T; swing and figured I'd chime in with my story. A few weeks ago I was really getting frustrated. My handicap was climbing past 16 and I started out the year an 11. I have all the usual books, been to some good teachers, was single digit and bla bla bla. I saw something somewhere on the web that mentioned S&T.; Long story short. I bought the book (kindle) right there. Figured what the heck. Read about half the book till I got what they where saying. Went to the range hit 90 balls all of them really solid with a draw. Next day I go out in a weekly foursome and laugh to my self that I'm only going to use my new S&T; swing. I was even par after 12 and 2 over going into18. Missed a 4ft par putt and missed coming back for a 76. True story. I've ordered the new videos and will take a lesson once I find a teacher.

I have been interested in the Stack and Tilt fundamentals for a few years, bought the Stack and Tilt book several months ago and also have the CD's which were bought around 2 years ago.  I have used a more convention type swing since starting to play and I generally shifted away from the ball a little in the backswing, not a sway necessarily bur more of a shift, but maybe some sway got in there too. .  As I got older it seemed like this became a more difficult way to swing.     I tried the Stack and Tilt  briefly a few years ago, and didn't really have a very good understanding of it,,  and went back to the old swing until after getting Sean Foley's CD;s and seeing some of his online videos.   It seemed pretty clear that Foley shares some Stack and Tilt fundamentals,.  I have been using, or trying to use the Stack and Tilt type motion as best i can since around April of this year.  Over all it is working better than expected at this stage.  Was able to break 80 on some occasions already with this (handicap is about 7.8 right now, which is about what it was before taking up a Stack and Tilt type swing).   I hadn't been able to hit a draw with the more conventional swing for at least 5 years but since keeping more weight on the front foot I am now hitting quite a few draw type shots, and they are starting to get a little better than they were a few months ago, even a sweeper once in awhile now.  It didn't take long at all for draws to show up with this type of swing and man that felt good after seeing a lot of weak push fades!! ..  The driver accuracy has actually improved too, which has been a nice surprise,  and the driver was always somewhat of a struggle with the more conventional two plane type swing with the tendency to push.  Also noticing that the contact with the irons on the better shots has been a little higher on the face now than before.   Seeing some really nice things going on with this type of swing.

Having some trouble with consistency with this type of swing one would probably expect.  The misses are some pushes, and also some hooks and pull hooks.  There are some really  good ideas on fixes in these Stack and Tilt threads, from folks who understand this swing pretty well probably, and will be doing some reading on those.  I am VERY pleased with the progress with this swing so far.  I struggled for 5 or 6 years or more trying to learn to hit a draw again with the moire conventional swing and was about 99% unsuccessful with it, and to be able to start doing it almost straight away with a new swing was very much appreciated.  Now comes the part or trying to become more consistent by improving the misses.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge