IGNORED

Am I allowed to be thinking about X-Stiff??

Note: This thread is 5262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just a quick topic.... curious given this situation:

I nice relaxed and full swing on level ground, on what I'd call slightly firmer than average ground travels 285 measured yards from tee to rest. Shot shape is a fade. This is using a 44" (1.5" cut off from the butt) Tour Burner with stock Stiff shaft with a 9.5* head.

Given the above scenario would you say I'm "allowed" to think about an X-Stiff shaft. Or would you say not to even think about it.....?

( Disclaimer! This is for fun... I plan on getting fit in the next couple months... but that doesn't mean I can't have my fun picking out my own hypothetical shafts!)

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

you cant really gauge how stiff of a flex you need by distance.. but id say no.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Sure. Shaft stiffness has as much to do with swing quality as swing speed. Plus, not all shafts are created equal so it is very likely that you might find a particular brand that works better for you as an x-stiff. Try as many as you can get a hold of and pick the one with the best results.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Maybe, maybe not. There's no standard for shaft stiffness. You may be able to get an x-stiff that works perfectly for you. That doesn't mean that just because the shaft says x-stiff on it that it's THAT stiff though. It may be the same stiffness as another company's stiff shaft.

You could definitely hit an x-stiff but you'd likely see a lower ball flight and even leave some shots out to the right if it's too stiff for your swing. Or... it could be perfect for you. That's why getting fit is important.

It has to do more with swing dynamics rather than how far you hit the ball. How do you load the shaft? How do you realese it? These are some of the questions to be awnsered. My driver speed is close to 110, but i still use a regular stiff shaft. Id lose to many right with a x-stiff. But i also know a kid who only swings 95-100, uses a x-stiff shaft in his driver and outdrives me by at least 10 yards..he's got uncanny timing and rythm though..
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I found that my tempo is the key to my distance. I try to have the slowest backswing I can... If you've read the golf digest article on the v-gap mumbo jumbo... that's a good way to describe my swing.

My hands tend to get too fast... and the ball hooks. So the way I feel now is more like... If I want to really go after the ball it's a hook/bigger draw than i'd like. The only way I can hit it straight or fade is to slow down my swing a bit. The problem is that it's difficult to slow down the swing consistently... and while it's nice just happening to hit the ball 260-280 on what feels like a slow swing..... I hate the feeling that I'm leaving all this energy on the table. So ideally I want something that I can attack with.... It gets boring swinging "slow" on the tee all the time.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

It has to do more with swing dynamics rather than how far you hit the ball. How do you load the shaft? How do you realese it? These are some of the questions to be awnsered. My driver speed is close to 110, but i still use a regular stiff shaft. Id lose to many right with a x-stiff. But i also know a kid who only swings 95-100, uses a x-stiff shaft in his driver and outdrives me by at least 10 yards..he's got uncanny timing and rythm though..

Do you just make bad contact your friend makes perfect contact? If you're swinging minimum of 10mph faster than your friend, his drives should not be out driving you. Are your balls ballooning? His rolling extra far? His ball may end up coming to rest past yours, but carry distance you should be longer unless your shaft just isn't right for you or you're slicing it badly or whatever. Assuming you both his straight drives, you should be longer.

Do you just make bad contact your friend makes perfect contact? If you're swinging minimum of 10mph faster than your friend, his drives should not be out driving you. Are your balls ballooning? His rolling extra far? His ball may end up coming to rest past yours, but carry distance you should be longer unless your shaft just isn't right for you or you're slicing it badly or whatever. Assuming you both his straight drives, you should be longer.

He probably does make better contact than i do. but yeah, hes legitamily longer than i am with a driver. (i could blame it on this bullsh*t voodoo shaft im using....

) Though i do carry futher. Im probably a full club longer with an iron. Im not the strongest driver the the ball, anyway. I tend to get too steep with my driver, so I hit a high fade. He hits a mid draw that leaves his face like a freakin missle. Really impressive to see. I still get 270-280 off the tee. So thats not bad.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I would just get fit with an open mind. I would say yes with certain shafts. I still use a regular flex shaft and my swing speed has recently gotten noticeable faster. Not sure why but I am flying it over 250 right now. I might make a change but with the flight I am getting and not hitting hooks, hard to make a change. I think it has more to do with how you swing the club than how fast.

Brian

I have more or less the same stats you mention, probably a bit longer on firm turf, and the thought has never even crossed my mind... as a matter of fact I had a chance to play an X-stiff 3wood for a while and it was a diff world all together...

Please don´t swing while I´m talking !!

Of course you can think about it. But don't buy any shaft without testing it out. ALL shafts play differently. What's X in one brand is S in another.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

Interesting title - goes well with "Get your lip off my ball" and "I suck on video".

If you can keep the ball straight, and you don't mind bone jarring mishits, go Xstiff all the way!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I trialled a set of X-stiff irons once; they were like swinging a poker. For me, never again!

Driver - RAM FX V
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Hybrid - Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21 degree
Irons - Titleist DCI 4-PW
Wedges - Cleveland CG10, 52, 56, 60 degree
Putter - Rife Antigua

I heard once that if you cut down a shaft, you effectively make it more stiff, and logically this makes sense.

By that logic, you already do play an X flex,

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He probably does make better contact than i do. but yeah, hes legitamily longer than i am with a driver. (i could blame it on this bullsh*t voodoo shaft im using....

a draw tends to roll more than a fade. i get 295-305 off the tee, but my power more than likely comes from my baseball days cause i used to knock the crap outta the ball and the power must've carried into my golf game. i hit dead straight and work the ball when i need to and well, my shaft prolly helps. i got fitted so it must help. you should do the same, but hey, there's nothing wrong with dreaming :) and messing around with the "maybe" possibilites out there

In My Under Armour Links Stand Bag or PING Hoofer Vantage Team Bag :
i15 9.5°, Project X Graphite -7A3 | i15 15.5°, Project X Graphite -8A4 | S57 2 - PW, Project X 6.5 | Tour-W 56.10/60.8 Project X 6.5 | Redwood Black Satin Anser | Titleist Black | Golf Pride Tour Velvet Round Grips With Logo...

Note: This thread is 5262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!