IGNORED

anyone ever gone on a golf trip alone?

EightBlue
Note: This thread is 4960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Probably 1 or 2 times a summer I will pack up and go to Ocean City MD and play 2 or 3 rounds. I also go 2 or 3 times with my buddies but it always ends up being an ugly weekend with a lot of hang over golf.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Went to Doral and played 2 of their courses (Silver and the Blue Monster). Most of my buddies don't or can't go on a golf trip, so if I do play away from home, I am usually by myself. The only exception is when we go to Mesquite in April. That is the only time my buddies can make a golf trip.

I actually like going by myself as well as with my buddies. I get to meet a lot of interesting people when I go by myself. Makes life a lot more fun and interesting.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I travel on business and very often have to play by myself. If there is no one to play with that is OK by me. If they put me with others I usually have a great time. I have a good golfing buddie and we go to Myrtle Beach every November and have a great end of year golf outing. There is nothing wrong in meeting new people and it is fun to play new courses.

Every time I go to Vegas for 4-5 days with my wife, who is a non-golfer, I get up at 5AM every day, hit the course by 6AM, done by 9AM, back in the hotel & showered by 10AM, just in time to go out to breakfast. It's essentially going solo, and I love it....although I wouldn't mind a little more sleep!
Driver: TaylorMade Super Tri 10.5°
3-Wood: TaylorMadeR580, 15°
Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue Mid, 19°
Irons: TaylorMade R7 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Spin-Milled Vokey Oil Can 56.14, 52.08Putter: Ping Karsten AnserBall: Bridgestone e5+

thinking about it. will be between jobs in february and wife will be traveling for her job so I will have a week to kill and thinking of going somewhere warm to play 36/day

Everytime i go somewhere warm, being a solo truck driver leaves me no choice most of the time. Enless I see someone playing alone i might ask to play up with them depending on how they come off :) But hey, golfs golf....however it is nice when theres someone else to play with...to see the nice shots :)...and the bad ones ;)

Superlight Stand Bag
909D2 9.5° Diamana S
909F2 15.5° Diamana S
909F2 18.5° Diamana S
AP2 Project X 5.5 3-PW Vokey Spin Milled 52° 56° 60° Studio Select Newport 2 Pro V1Home Course - http://www.huronoaks.com (Home of Mike Weir)

I do lots of golftrips. Everywhere. When you go to crazy busy places, every teetime is 4some. They love single walkups to fill in. The first and primary decision though is $$$$. Based on that you decide where. Just do it. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
have actually had many a fun trip going alone. I have a process where I check cheap flights, non stop, then weather outlook, then top 100 tracks around. Then I use Hotels.com to get a cheap room. I can usually go for a long weekend for about $700 with golf. Play at least 36 a day, sometimes 54. Cheap eats and back to the room for the night and then do it all over again. I've been paired up with some very interesting folks, some not so interesting, a few celebrities, a few members or very exclusive clubs in other parts of the country. Caddies of pro's.... Its really fun. And them there's Autumn. Hottest gal I've ever met. Lost her phone number as I watched my phone go the bottom of some lake. Arrrrgh.

• 3 months later...
Like most things there are pluses and minuses with a solo trip.
The minuses have been mentioned so I won't repeat them.
The pluses are that if you want to dedicate 100% of the time to golf you can do that, not waste time with leisurely meals, sleeping late because you stayed up all night etc.
Or, if you're the person who likes sleeping late, long meals, sightseeing and little time for golf you can do that too.
The more people on a trip, the more compromises on what to do, when, where to eat, where to stay or eat in terms of cost etc.
Depending on who your friends are, even though it costs a bit more to travel solo you more than make up for it by playing twice as much golf in the same number of days (or playing just as much but on a shorter trip.)
Your experience may vary.
Michael K Craig

I've never done a golf trip alone but I did play my first round alone ever this afternoon. I have always been a little hesitant to go alone or play with someone I didn't know because I was worried I wouldn't be good enough or piss them off somehow by breaking some rule, etc. I wanted to play real bad this week and no one else could sneak away so I said screw it and went alone. I actually played the front 9 by my self and then caught up with a couple who was in front of me and we finished the back together. Playing alone though I noticed that I was playing extremely fast and I felt like I was running around the course. I kept telling myself to slow down but couldn't. It was almost a relief to play the back with the other couple and my score showed it. Anyone else ever feel that way???

Back in the mid 90's, I spent a year travelling for my employer. I played a ton of golf as a single. I preferred to play as a single, but was paired with others on many occasions. My opions is, "Screw it!" After the round you'll never see these folks again. Just have fun and enjoy the new courses.

• 4 weeks later...
Since my golfing buddies are total flakes when it comes to planning anything I think I will have to do a solo trip if I ever want to get out of town and golf. I tried to set up something last spring and a 3 day trip became a two day, which then became a 1 1/2 day trip, which then became 18 holes at a local course, which then became 9 holes, and then they were 20 minutes late for the tee time. My friends suck.

We must have the same friends or their brothers live in Cincinnati. This is something I want to do at least once before I die or get to feable to play. You guys and gals that have this as an annual gig, count your blessings. You have a great thing in having friends that will commit and responsible enough to follow thru. I have thought many times of using some frequent flyer miles, going to Myrtle, Hilton Head, Scottsdale - somewhere, anywhere that is not here. I love my buddies, but they just don't share the same passion for the game like I do.

Home Course Fairfield Greens
In my Bag Boy Revolver bag...
Driver: Tour Burner 43" REAX 60 gram shaft 13 degree
Fairway: X Tour 3 metal 15 degree
Hybrid: 5H 26 degreeIrons: X-22 5 thru PWWedges: Jaws 60, 52Putter: Tour White Hot #2 Center Shaft 33 inchesBall: ProV1

I am heading down to Myrtle this coming week and it is looking like I will be playing alone!

Do you guys just call up and ask if they have a solo tee time or what?

Driver: Callaway FT-iZ 10*  I  2 Hybrid: Nike VR  I  3&4 Hybrid: Nike Sumo SQ  I  Irons: Ping G10 5-PW, LW,  I  52* & 62*: GigaGolf SGS  I  Putter: Cleveland BRZ #2  I  White things I chase: Srixon AD333

I am heading down to Myrtle this coming week and it is looking like I will be playing alone!

It's a crap shoot at Myrtle this time of year. With it being so hot, you might be the only one playing at all. I know in spring, fall most course pair you up.

Home Course Fairfield Greens
In my Bag Boy Revolver bag...
Driver: Tour Burner 43" REAX 60 gram shaft 13 degree
Fairway: X Tour 3 metal 15 degree
Hybrid: 5H 26 degreeIrons: X-22 5 thru PWWedges: Jaws 60, 52Putter: Tour White Hot #2 Center Shaft 33 inchesBall: ProV1

• 2 weeks later...
thinking about it. will be between jobs in february and wife will be traveling for her job so I will have a week to kill and thinking of going somewhere warm to play 36/day

I just turned 39, and doing 36 would be very hard for me. I've never tried it, but have done 27 a couple times before. Of course, I learned golf on my own the hard way and for almost 15 years just grabbed the club like a basebat bat and wacked at the ball. In the past four years Ive been trying new things and I THINK Im slowly slowly getting better....but at 39....geesh.

And then I look at your handicap. yea, well...if I had a 2.6 I too would golf 36 per day multiple days!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have always been a little hesitant to go alone or play with someone I didn't know because I was worried I wouldn't be good enough or piss them off somehow by breaking some rule, etc.

I might be playing this weekend alone in Vallejo, and I feel the same way. But I guess the urge to play is stronger by an inch than being embarrassed.

taylormade.gif R9 460 10.5* Reg taylormade.gif 3W Burner & 4H Burner taylormade.gif 4-P 360 vokey.gif56*, 60*  taylormade.gif Kia Ma Monte Carlo TP

I had a weekend off from work while traveling in Switzerland for business so I took a solo trip to Evian Les Bains in France (the site of the women's masters tournament).

Solo trips are a nice time to be selfish - you can gear everything to your tastes without having to 'make concessions' for fellow travelers. That said, I never minded traveling alone - I'm one of those people who enjoys people watching in the hotel bar or area restaurants.

And keep in mind that you'll usually have company on the course - since I regularly book times as a single at home, I look forward to playing with different people I don't know.

Note: This thread is 4960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!