IGNORED

Why Doesn't Tiger Hit it Farther?

colin007
Note: This thread is 5115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bubba Watson and JB Holmes launch the ball higher with less spin than Tiger. Thus, even though Bubba, JB, and Woods have almost identical swing speeds, Woods doesn't drive it as far.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A link to the Nike website really doesn't prove anything...it's their website. Yes I am right Phil outdrove Tiger last year...and that means nothing. Driving distance means absolutley nothing on the PGA tour (Corey Pavin).

That's with only a 90mph swing speed. In the 120's I bet the results are much closer. Nike states that the One Platinum is made for players that can compress the ball.

You're the one who said Nike states that the One Platinum is for players who can compress the ball, i gave you what Nike actually states.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It pays to keep in mind also that the Tour only measures drives "officially" on 2 holes each event. They are chosen to run in opposite directions so that the the wind will have a minimal effect on the average of the two holes. Tiger may bomb the ball on a hole which isn't being measured, then use a 5W on one that is.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
It pays to keep in mind also that the Tour only measures drives "officially" on 2 holes each event. They are chosen to run in opposite directions so that the the wind will have a minimal effect on the

They also try to choose holes on which a driver is likely to be used.

But of course that still doesn't mean a player has to hit a driver. Or that they go at it with a "normal" driver swing. In the end, there's a lot of variance. The answer to the question is that Tiger could, but chooses control over getting as much distance as he could.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

it does seem like tiger has two driver swings. one, the controlled one, with that beautifully tempoed swing, perfectly balanced, and he has pretty good control over where it goes. the second, out of his shoes lash at the ball where he falls back on his right foot and the club whips back in front of him, and he hits those huge blocks to the right or hooks that start out straight and then take a 45 degree left turn. im sure the second one is prolly as long as the other guys out there (maybe not Quiros).

Colin P.

Just from watching him, it seems like Tiger rarely hits a controlled driver. When he needs to hit the fairway he hits a 3-wood, and if he needs a little extra, he goes after it more, and he is so good with the 3-wood the results are usually good.
On the other hand, when he really needs to bomb one, he tries to kill his driver, something he definitely was better at 10 years ago.
So i guess he does have 2 driver swings, he just rarely uses one of them.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

It pays to keep in mind also that the Tour only measures drives "officially" on 2 holes each event. They are chosen to run in opposite directions so that the the wind will have a minimal effect on the

The tour measures drives on every hole now (except par 3s, of course). That's what Shot Tracker technology on every hole does for you.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Also, I think Tiger uses a shorter driver than JB Holmes and Bubba Watson.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• 3 months later...

THE Masters Tournament was a coupla weeks ago...

Have you got tickets to next year or are you thinking of another tournament?

(Hate to consider the alternative....naaaahhhh. Can't be)

Tiger flew a 8i 187 yards last year...i think his distance is just fine...
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Yes they do, and that's partly the reason why he's just a little behind them. Driving distance is driving distance, regardless of what club is used. I think the most I saw Tiger hit driver in a single round this year was 3 times. It was mostly all 3W and 5W. It's just that others now pull driver more, and the rest of the field has also worked considerably harder to get to try and keep up with Tiger. See

Exactly what I was wondering when I watched Duval pull out 3 wood on a 490 yd. Par 4 in the Zurich. He still reached the green in two, but pulled out the shorter stick to stay out of trouble. Kind of makes me wonder what the "real" driving distances are for pros if the "averages" are showing what they are with other clubs thrown into the mix.

Same thing happened on the 18th at the Zurich, a Par 5. Lots of guys hit 3 wood knowing they were going to lay up.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Couple of reasons.

+1

Driving distance on the PGA tour doesn't mean squat. Tiger want's to be the "longest"....but is not.....sorry T Dubs... Warmest Regards, Phil, Bubba, Dustin, JB, etc....

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Just watching Mr Woods from his comeback at the Masters & now after round 1 at Quail Hollow & I got to say his lack of accuracy for being the worlds #1 is scarily bad. I know he has been off course for months but his swing has definately shown signs of trouble & doesnt seem to find fairways. In fact he is struggling off the tee with most clubs & even the putting is off. Shame but Im sure he will get over it before Pebble.

What's in my Titleist RC10 Cart Bag? Driver: Nike Sasquatch Sumo Square 5900 10.5* Aldila VS Proto 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Nike SQ Mach Speed 15* Hybrid: Nike 5H Ignite 23*
Irons: Nike Ignite 4i-Sw Wedges: Vokey Design 252*-08 / Oil Can Spin Milled 60*-08
Putter: Odyssey White Ice 2Ball CS 34"...

His putting I wouldn't worry about, that will come around. His swing on the other hand, is not well, especially with the driver. It is not something that started recently either, he's been doing this for years now.

With that swing, he'll have a hard time beating Nicklaus.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

i guess what im saying is, back in 2001 he was hitting it farther (and more accurately) than now. with all the tech innovations with drivers in the past 9 years, it doesnt make sense why his distance hasnt increased like everone elses.

Colin P.

Where does everyone get the notion that Tiger was the only one hitting it long in the beginning of this century? Take a look at the driving stats, he hasn't been the longest driver one time the last 10 years. He was up there with John Daly in the first couple of years, but from 2002 and onwards, the others has started driving it 290-300, which is what Tiger has averaged all the time.

Tiger's average in 2001 was 297, in 2009 it was 298.
Tiger's average in 2001 was 65%, in 2009 it was 64%.

What we don't see on those stats is the severity of a missed fairway. He used to be somewhere in the rough on a miss, usually a one-way miss. Today he's hitting it deep into the woods and got a two-way miss.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

im not sure i understand. are you saying that it doesnt seem weird that his distance has stayed the same? hasnt the tour average gone up? hasnt tech increased for tiger as well as the other guys?

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 5115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!