IGNORED

Are Vokey's overrated?

Note: This thread is 5220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

$350 for a wedge? Y'all must be crazy!

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Vokeys are a good wedge, I have a 58 degree I will put in the bag, in place of my 56 & 60 Snake Eyes on occaision. Is it better? Not really, just different. I have played Clevelands, Vokeys, Adams, Snake Eyes, and others over the years. As long as its the right combination of loft & bounce, the rest is very subjective, visual, brand loyalty, finish, etc..

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

They are good wedges, but not for everyone. I have tried to play them in the past and just didn't care for them. Are they overrated? Maybe a little, because of the name. The $100 price tag is very similar to every other wedge that is out there that isn't a knock-off or generic. Cleveland, Mizuno, TM, Nike, Ping, etc., all make good wedges in the same price range. Vokey's do hold a premium price, so it is unlikely that you will see them at a discount like you might with some others.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I've played many wedges. I have played the 56.14 and 60.08 Vokey 200 series. The 2008 SM 58.08 Vokey, the callaway x-forged 64, Mizuno 53.08 MPT. Out of all the wedges I've played I like vokeys the most. They seem to be pretty forgiving, great feel, and good distance. But wedges are all personal preference. I would look on ebay quite a bit. I got my 58 brand new for 90 from a major golf retailer. If it were me, I would look on ebay and try to pick up a new SM for around 70 bucks on ebay. You really can't tell if you like a wedge hitting into a net at a store.

Brian

No they are not overrated, they cost the same as any major manufacturer's wedge out there. On our level, you could probably use any wedge such as callaway, mizuno etc and not really notice much difference. I think touring pros use them (even when they dont have to) is because of Bob Vokey himself and his willingness to work with the players individually.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

not over rated by any means - they are aVERY good wedge and price similar to the rest of the field
BUT - hit a forged wedge, like a Callaway or Mizuno and compare for yourself
I loved my Vokey's, but Im deadly w my Callaway's

its winter here, so i havent golfed in months
last night i played some crappy indoor golf and noticed that my wedges are starting to rust now
i think they will only get better this year
But i play quite a bit and feel they will need to be replaced after this summer

to me a wedge (like most other clubs) is all about feel and esthetics (sp?)
if it doesnt look good to you at address, you wont have confidence in it

golf is such a personal game, that what works for me or you, wont work for the next guy
thats why its tough to come on here and ask "hey, will this club work for me?" WHO KNOWs
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I too like the Callaway X wedges vs the Vokeys. Not saying they are any better or worse. Really when you think about it, are your wedges not more important than your driver? If someone drops 300+ on a driver and is concerned about 100 for a wedge then they have their priorities mixed up. I think the 100-119 for a scoring club is fair.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To me, no. Then again, everything regarding equipment is subjective. I haven't even hit very many different manufacturer wedges. I bought a used Vokey a few years ago and have never looked back. I love the feel of them and the consistancy I get from them. If Vokey's cost $200, I'd probably still buy them. I just have a COMFORT and CONFIDENCE level with them.

But.....that's just my experience and opinion.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

Wedges are indeed very subjective and I think that if YOU cannot feel and see a difference between a $300 custom ground wedge and an off the rack $80-100 wedge, I think you'd be better to invest your money elsewhere.

In addition, phrasing the question as, "Are Vokeys Overrated" is the same kind of question as "Are Scotties Overrated" and I'm sure you'll see tons of those threads here. It's a question that inflames the passions of a golf aficionados everywhere. You are always going to have people that love a particular brand of wedge. He may recall the first time he purchased _____ Brand of Wedge and holed out from 70 yards or knocked it in from that menacing deep bunker. That golfer will probably be brand loyal to that wedge company for life. At the same time, there are those who have to have one brand of everything in their bag, as if they were sponsored by that company.

For me, I have a lot of Mizuno gear simply because they are one of the few companies that still do great forgings, and I have never found a non-forged club that was accurate as my forged sets. That being said, I personally did not like the longer gap wedges that Mizuno offers - thought I haven't tried the new MPT-10. And I have definitely never liked Mizuno's woods.

Now, to answer your question, do I think that Vokeys are overrated? YES. And Scotties are too.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Not overrated in any sense, but I prefer the X Forged.

In my KZG Stand Bag:
919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)
919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)
KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)
KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33" e7 or TriSpeed uProMy...

• Administrator
Oil Can Vokey's rust like a bitch

Not if you take care of them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I definitely wouldn't say they're underrated.

The one and only Vokey that I own (a gap wedge SM 52.08) has performed well. In one of my iron sets, it replaced a GW and SW (still using a forged LW in that setup). From a good (or tight) lie theres a good chance I'll have a makeable birdie putt (makeable for someone who doesn't putt like donkey). I also like the Vokey's longish shaft and grip which allows a few setup options, it's one of the rare irons that has a tolerable stock grip.

My opinion of this one Vokey wedge is positive, but can't say I'd buy another one. I get killer spin which is due to the SM face, so of course it's murder on balls. I could see the entire surface of a Top Flite Gamer on the clubface. It's a good club, but of the more than a dozen wedges I own (not PWs), I'd say accuracy and distance control is fair to middling (for me). It's equal or better than other cast wedges (except for my old Spalding Robert T Jones) but not as good (for me) as my forged Mizunos and MacGregors.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My game improved after i use the vokey .

This is my 2nd vokey after the 1st one worn out .
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Not if you take care of them.

they're meant to rust....

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Administrator
they're meant to rust....

No they're not. We've been over this before several times, so I'm not going to get into it much here, but rust is detrimental to neutral on spin. No PGA Tour player has a rusty wedge (maybe there are some rust spots on the back of the club, but I'm talking about the clubface area).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I love my two Vokeys but I think I will be changing them out. I dont want a Spin Mill anymore because I'm tired of destroying golf balls on one solid shot. I like the X Forged wedges but they have the MD grooves...what can I do? Hate this non conforming crap.

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

No they're not. We've been over this before several times, so I'm not going to get into it much here, but rust is detrimental to neutral on spin. No PGA Tour player has a rusty wedge (maybe there are some rust spots on the back of the club, but I'm talking about the clubface area).

It IS meant to rust.

I read it on a tag with the vokey. It's not meant to give extra spin but it's meant to give a raw wedge.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Note: This thread is 5220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!