IGNORED

Are Vokey's overrated?

Note: This thread is 5220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are they worth the 100 bucks? What is the advantage of a vokey vs. say a Hippo forged wedge?

Just wondering as Im seriously looking to pick one up, just not sure if its worth all that money.

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

There must be. Everyone who has them seems to love them. A lot of people also go for the Cleveland and Scratch wedges as well.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

I have Cleveland CG12's, Scratch 8620's, and Vokey SM... I would rank them Scratch, Vokey, Cleveland in terms of spin... In relation to the Hippo wedge... I have no idea... all the ones I referenced are cast.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

no. I don't think so.

9.5º TaylorMade R9 TP VooDoo XNV6 | TaylorMade R9 TP 13º 3W & 19º 5W Both with Fujikura Motore F1 85 | Mizuno MP-57 DG X-100 (3-PW) | Titleist Vokey 52º, 56º, 60º | 34'' Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 | The Cardinal Club [73.9/135]

I wouldn't say that Vokey's dominate the rest of the field.

Technology has come a long way and the field has really leveled out, especially with wedges; I would say all of the major OEMs are about the same quality and it just comes down to preference and grinds...
Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

Thanks for the quick replies! Are they geared toward better players or can anyone play them?

Theres no such thing as a "players wedge" is there?
Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

I'm a big fan of mine. It has something to do with the weighting. I like the added spin of course, but it probably also comes down to false confidence. i like them, so I feel confident in them.

I'm sure the weighting and feel could be found in other major brands, but call me a fan.
Driver: 10.5 Adams Speedline 9032LS with VooDoo XNV6 X-stiff
Fairway Woods: G15 4wood with Serrano 75 X-stiff
Irons: Ping i15 3-PW w/ AWT Shafts
Wedges: Spin Milled Oil Can Vokey 50deg/54deg/58deg
Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza SpiderBall: Taylormade PentaBest Score 2010 Season: 75Home...

I like mine and bought both used.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

Thanks for the quick replies! Are they geared toward better players or can anyone play them?

I would say anyone could play them quite easily. Though I do not think there is anything labeled as a "Player's Wedge", I have seen SGI wedges, man are they ugly.

I personally would pick Vokey's over any other wedge at the golf store. The reason my next wedges will be Scratch Brand, though, is because of the customization they allow Joe Golfer to do. I can set the scratch wedge up with my custom specs and have the same swing weight and material that the Vokey's are made of.

9.5º TaylorMade R9 TP VooDoo XNV6 | TaylorMade R9 TP 13º 3W & 19º 5W Both with Fujikura Motore F1 85 | Mizuno MP-57 DG X-100 (3-PW) | Titleist Vokey 52º, 56º, 60º | 34'' Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 | The Cardinal Club [73.9/135]

Nick Faldo says, "Play Mizuno; play to win." I have always loved Mizuno forged wedges, as well as forged irons. If I had six hundo to drop on some wedges though, I'd be rockin some Sratches. Golf balls aside, I have never been a fan of anything wearing the Titleist name. If you prefer the traditional wedge style, I suggest you try the new Mizuno MPT-10 or anything by Cleveland. Hit as many wedges as you can and as many bounces, then choose wisely. Good luck!

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

• Administrator
Nick Faldo says, "Play Mizuno; play to win."

Not anymore - he's a TaylorMade ••••• now.

FWIW I plan to game, well, crap. I planned to game some Mizuno wedges (the most recent ones I reviewed) but now that I think about it I had planned to play the new grooves, so... who knows. Maybe that means I play the Titleist CC wedges I have (review coming).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

no they're not overrated. they're priced similar to most major oem's wedges...

i love mine. i cant imagine playing anything else...

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

Oh crikey, Faldo is not half the player he was when he donned the Mizuno hat. But anyway, there is nothing really wrong with the Vokey's, I just happened to prefer the feel of the Mizus a little more and I was terrified of shredding balls with the spin milled. Pro-V1s already don't last long enough at their price. As for the new grooves, I'm going to play in the legal but "gray" area for as long as I can. Hell, I didn't replace my worn out wedges for ones that are shinier but have the same lack of spin.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I would say that Vokeys are overrated. They arent the magical clubs that a lot of people seem to think they are. Id say a Vokey is far better than a Hippo though.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I would say that Vokeys are overrated. They arent the magical clubs that a lot of people seem to think they are. Id say a Vokey is far better than a Hippo though.

Why is that?

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

How can they be overrated when there are so many people playing them and so many being very satisfied?

To OP: What does it matter to you anyways? You should test and find the wedges you like the best. Statistics mean nothing to the individual. There is no doubt that Titleist make top class equipment, and their wedges are very popular. How can one conclude anything but that the clubs are good?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say anyone could play them quite easily. Though I do not think there is anything labeled as a "Player's Wedge", I have seen SGI wedges, man are they ugly.

Scratch will customize for you but not for anywhere near 100. For 100 u get their 8620 cast wedge and only get to pick grind, shaft, and loft.

If you're willing to pay 350 for a wedge then they'll do some customization....
Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

Note: This thread is 5220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!