IGNORED

Club Championship season

NCGolfer
Note: This thread is 6456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, it is here. Our club championship is this weekend. I thought I'd start a thread for us to post our thoughts, trials and tribulations.

I won the scratch division last year at my course. I'm not feeling nearly as confident because I've only played one full round in 6 weeks due to 'family obligations'. I have been hitting the ball well at the range, but that doesn't always translate onto the golf course.

Basically, my attitude is going to be to go out there and have fun. I'm not going to worry about my swing or my competitioin. Just me and the golf course. The rest will take care of itself.

Anyone else have their club championship coming up? Or already had it?

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mine is coming up in a couple of weeks. Then, after that, the Junior Club Champ. I hope to win both. :)

I'm going to have to beat a lot of good players for the regular Club Champ. I need to beat the defending champ in the first round, and he's about a 6. So I have my work cut out for me.

I've posted a bit about ours already.

We had our Qualifying on 30th July and I made it through in 10th place after shooting a dreadfull 89 - funnily enough at my old course to qualify you'd have to shoot 8 over at the very most to get in (Intermediate Division - playing handicap of 8-14).

First round was Saturday and I was lucky enough to get a bye as my opponent had to go to a funeral. Then on Sunday we had the 2nd Round which I won 3 & 1 by sinking a 45-50 footer on the 17th (the putt gets longer the more I tell the story..!!!)

Semi final next Saturday and 36 hole final Sunday.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

I think I posted is somewhere... anyway - lost in semi 1 down after making a charge from 4 down... fell one short third year in a row by the way. I guess this is the only thing me and Michelle Wie have incommon - we never won a big one

Well, my Club Championship is August 26-27th and will be 36 holes of stroke play. I carry a 6.1 index, but have been shooting the lights out as of late. I have had four straight sub-80 rounds (recent first: 74, 75, 77, 78) and felt that there were many places that I could have picked up strokes in all of those rounds.

My goal is to get in the top five as this is my first CC. I will be sure to post scorecards when they become available :P

Good luck to all those still needing to play!!!
underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

I think I posted is somewhere... anyway - lost in semi 1 down after making a charge from 4 down... fell one short

Seems like there are a lot of match-play club championships...we have both, but the stroke one at our club is considered the 'true' club championship.

I'm currently in the semi-finals of the match-play championship. I have to play a 69 year old...who has a plus handicap. He's shot his age numerous times. The good thing is that he's a really good guy and I know we'll have a good, fun match.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I think I posted is somewhere... anyway - lost in semi 1 down after making a charge from 4 down... fell one short

And just like Wie, things will be complete if you now attempt to qualify for the PGA Tour. I'd say you're then even!

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

Seems like there are a lot of match-play club championships...we have both, but the stroke one at our club is considered the 'true' club championship.

Same thing down here in Australia, every club I have ever been a member of has both a strokeplay and matchplay championship, however the "club champion" is always thought of as the guy who won the strokeplay scratch version. It might be different at other clubs, but not at the 5 I have been a member of.

Our championships at my current club are coming up in about 3 weeks and I expect to win, although you never know. I do have a bit an of advantage over most people playing as a rule in general as I have played a LOT of 4 round strokeplay tournaments, four rounds of strokeplay does take a lot of getting used to and a different mindset if you want to post a competitive total. Keep the ball in play, remember that bogeys are ok and doubles are to be avoided and you'll be there or thereabouts at the end, pretty simple formula but not a lot of people ever seem to get it.

in our junior club championships, i started out well on both round (36 hole stroke play) with 40s on the front nine, but blew up on the back nines both times and shott 44, 47, for 84,87, a 171 total and fourth place.
Driver: Taylormade R580XD 10.5*w/GD YS6+
3wood: Nike Ignite T-60 15* w/Fujikura Stiff
Irons: Cleveland TA2 3I-PW w/ DG R300
Wedges: Taylormade RAC Satin 52,56 w/DG "TP"
Putter: Never Compromise Voodoo - 34 inchHandicap: 8Low Round: 75 (+3)Age: 14Location: Deep River, Ontario, Canada

I do have a bit an of advantage over most people playing as a rule in general as I have played a LOT of 4 round strokeplay tournaments, four rounds of strokeplay does take a lot of getting used to and a different mindset if you want to post a competitive total.

Ours is only 2 rounds...I wish it was 3 or 4. I think you have a better chance of identifying the best golfer if you play that 3rd or 4th round. I know it is hard for guys to get off work...perhaps two rounds on Saturday and one on Sunday?

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Ours is only 2 rounds...I wish it was 3 or 4.

All of the courses I have been a member at have played the strokeplay championship over four rounds. Sometimes they'll be over four consecutive Saturdays, but more commonly and as it is at my current course it is over a Saturday and Sunday over two weekends.

At the course I grew up playing at we used to play on consecutive Saturdays and then we'd play 36 on the Sunday after a 36 hole "cut" on the afternoon of the second Saturday and I found that great as well. The 36 holes really sorted out the older guys, although as I start getting older myself I may begin thinking it isn't such a great format. And I agree, 72 holes does tend to work out who the best golfer in the club is. If you have a look at who wins over 4 rounds it always seems to be someone from the same small group of people at your club, whereas on a week in week out basis playing single or two day events the winners come from a much larger pool. If I had to come up with a reason it's this, anyone can have a super day out or maybe even two, but it's a lot harder to have four consecutive good solid days.

...and I agree, 72 holes does tend to work out who the best golfer in the club is...

we play 18 holes stroke for seeding, 8 go in (it's a small club

), from there - 3 rounds of matchplay, however final match is 36 holes (back to back). As always in matchplay better player COULD lose (read=me), but all 3 years I've been in it there was no "fluke" winner either - one of the top 3 contenders did win. Since I faltered 3 times in the semi's - I'd as well prefer to have 4 rounds stroke event... One reason why it will NOT happen - it's a semi-private club. Their loss of the revenue would be much higher if the full field played 4 weekend days...

Our stroke play champs is over 2 weekends in November - 72 holes.
In the bag:
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

Well, I stunk it up. Shot 76-78. Finished 4th.

I made two birdies the entire weekend...and one was a two putt. It was really frustrating. I couldn't hit the ball close all weekend. My irons stunk. My wedges stunk. I felt like I was stroking the ball well, but missed 6 putts inside 5-6 feet in the 36 holes.

Just a crappy experience all around. My game was just too rusty to compete. I still have the match-play tourney going, so there is some hope.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

What score won the championship Dave? You played bad, but you still finished fourth. That is saying something isn't it?

You better get it together for the Newport Cup. You are going to have to carry me this year.

• Administrator
What score won the championship Dave? You played bad, but you still finished fourth. That is saying something isn't it?

Cody, I've already got your pairings done. You'll be playing against or with one of Tiger's biggest fans in every round.

Dave: kids aren't good for the golf game. They make up for it in other ways, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Recently qualified for the junior club champ in 1st position with a 75 (+5). Got the main club champ in a few weekends time which will be my first one as it's only my second year playing golf and I was too high to enter last year. (Max is 12 for a junior). My aim is just to qualify, and my guess is that 8 over in both rounds will get me in. Hopefully I can play well in the morning and shoot something in the region of 4/5 over which will take a bit of pressure off in the afternoon round and then I can perhaps enjoy it a bit more!!!!!

In My Bag

Driver: Titlesit 905T (10.5 dgreees) - Aldila NV65 Reg Flex Shaft (Green)
3-Wood: Mizuno F50 (15 degrees) - Aldila NV65 Red Flex Shaft (Pink)
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Duel (19 degrees/3iron)Irons: Nike Pro Combo 4-PWSand Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design SM58.08Gap Wedge:Titleist Vokey Design...

PLayed the semi-final on Saturday and ended up losing 3&2 which was really disappointing. It all turned on the 12th and 13th where he got up and down from nowhere to put me 3 down. I got one back on the 14th with a nice putt. Then missed the green from 105 mtrs after hitting my drive 275. My opponent then holed a 15ft downhill left to right and I lipped out.

Lipped out on the 16th as well and that was it game over.
In the bag:

Note: This thread is 6456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!