IGNORED

Is false advertising = cheating.

bigoak
Note: This thread is 5167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK, Spock. I'll be logical. Nike makes premium golf balls, as does Titleist, Callaway, Srixon, Bridgestone. Each has different characteristics based on each unique design. Back around 2005, Nike advertised that they worked with Tiger to develop a ball for him to use. Maybe he still uses it, maybe he doesn't. For my story to be true, Tiger would have to have decided that Titleist makes a better ball for him than Nike. Given that the vast majority of PGA tour players use Titleist balls, this would be his "logical" choice.

I don't doubt that Nike made him a customized ball at one time. However, today, and for at least a couple of years, I really believe he's been using the same premium Nike balls that you and I buy off the shelf. A lot of players use ProV balls, yes, but that doesn't mean that those balls are heads and shoulders better than all other balls.

A big reason a lot of guys use the ProV today is comfort level. They grew up playing golf shooting the ProV, or the Bellata ball from Titleist. If it worked for them growing up, why change? I don't believe though that the ProV is that much better, or better period, than the Nike premium balls, or any of the TM premium balls, or the Srixxon premiums. You agreed that if someone has an actual ball from Tiger it would be easy to identify. If it was a ball other than a Nike One ball, it would be news. The golf blogs and golf magazines would be all over it. Regarding the TW ball. Like I said in the earlier post, I still don't know what that ball is. I guess I'll proceed to do a little looking on the net, but I really doubt it's a ball from the past couple of years. The premium balls from Nike have been the Nike One Black/Platinum and starting in 2009, the One Tour and One Tour D.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

???????????????? From what year? Like I said, I know Nike equipment probably as good as the people that sell it, and I know there has NEVER been a commercially sold One TW ball in the past three or four years for sure. Until now, I've honestly never heard of it.

From 2005:

http://www.golfreview.com/cat/balls/...8_2943crx.aspx http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622 Should I post a photo of the One TW I am currently holding in my hand?

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

From 2005:

No, I just did my own research and yes, I made an error. I should have known about them. They were made a full five years ago, however.

It was reported that Tiger did use those in 2005 as well.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Many golfers will try a particular club if the pros are using the club or ball or shoes glove etc. In the past I have seen a ping bag and head covers and not one ping club in the bag. I assume that this is with the OK with the PGA. I know there are forums where the contents of bags are posted but I am tired of doing that. If Phil or any player is misleading the public about what equipment sponsors are providing and paying a stipend for its usage then it is cheating the public. If professionals want to be whatever equipment they wish then they should use a plain bag or advertise what equipment they are using.

Buy yourself an HD cable package and a nice tv. Then you'll know exactly what they are playing.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Phil Mickleson is sponsored by callaway yet he openly admits to using ping eye2 wedges

Um... How can I put this one best?

Lots of players play equipment that isn't from thier brand. Tiger uses a Titleist putter, Stricker uses an Oddesy putter, etc.

Phil Mickleson is sponsored by callaway yet he openly admits to using ping eye2 wedges

Ummmmmmmmm, he no longer does now and I'm sure you're well aware of why he used ONE Ping Eye2 wedge, right?

Throw the fact in that not EVERY club in the bag HAS to be from their club sponsor. Most serious golf fans know that, so most serious golf fans aren't "fooled" what so ever about what equipment is and isn't being played by golfers.

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

No you wouldn't. You play what you are paid to play. You don't just use whatever clubs you want to and then throw your sponsor's headcover on it. You only do that if you don't have a contract for that particular club. This is why so many players have a 13 club contract or a 9 club contract or whatever. Your sponsor would impose harsh penalties upon you if you were using a club that wasn't in your contract. The choice is only yours if it is in your contract.

That is very true today on the PGA and Champions Tour. You had better be playing your required contract clubs or there will be hell to pay. Back in the 60's and 70's that was not the case. IE: Gary Players'fiberglass shafts-(Steel painted black). Lee Trevino's Fautless irons-(Gold Ram tour with Fautless marked on the lead tape)-Andy North winning 2-US Opens with Sounder Clubs(They were Wilson Staffs). I could go on and on about this[. but that was then and this is now. They pay,you play!!

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

• 2 weeks later...
That is very true today on the PGA and Champions Tour. You had better be playing your required contract clubs or there will be hell to pay. Back in the 60's and 70's that was not the case. IE: Gary Players'fiberglass shafts-(Steel painted black). Lee Trevino's Fautless irons-(Gold Ram tour with Fautless marked on the lead tape)-Andy North winning 2-US Opens with Sounder Clubs(They were Wilson Staffs). I could go on and on about this[. but that was then and this is now. They pay,you play!!

What tour is Jeff Sluman on?

I was checking out some WITB videos on youtube. There are sure a lot of guys with Callaway and TM woods in their bag in spite of what the headcovers say. Every club in Sluman's bag had a Mizuno headcover - not a lot of Mizzies underneath though.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

im sure that the players only agree to contracts that suit them. if they like the clubs, then they play them. if they dont, then they get a contract that says they only have to have the headcover.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

im sure that the players only agree to contracts that suit them. if they like the clubs, then they play them. if they dont, then they get a contract that says they only have to have the headcover.

I'd carry whatever logo emblazoned bag full of logo covered headcovers paid the bills - the Sluman bag has a butcher shop on it. I can see my setup now - I'll be sporting "The Hammer" from head to toe.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm with the minority on this one.....if a player advertises that they use a certain product, I expect them to tell the truth.....not that I necessarily care what they use, but it's more of an integrity thing.....if someone is gonna pay you a lot of cash to advertise, how hard is it to man up, keep your end, and actually use it....

I don't drink Red Bull, but I could force down one a day if they paid me to.....it's a little pathetic to replace the contents with iced tea and lead your fans to believe you drink the real thing.....just sayin....

.if someone is gonna pay you a lot of cash to advertise, how hard is it to man up, keep your end, and actually use it....

They don't have an "end" to keep. There are differences between sponsorship and advertising. All players play what they are paid to play and if they aren't paid, they use what they like. They don't get paid to use something and then use something else. Their contracts don't allow it. If their sposors are happy, so too should we be.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I'm with the minority on this one.....if a player advertises that they use a certain product, I expect them to tell the truth.....not that I necessarily care what they use, but it's more of an integrity thing.....if someone is gonna pay you a lot of cash to advertise, how hard is it to man up, keep your end, and actually use it....

You're misunderstanding the whole concept here. They aren't saying they play one club, and then playing another. They wear a hat with a logo on it, that's about it. You will never see anyone say that Tiger plays a Nike putter, and he never claims he does. Tiger wears a Nike hat, and uses Nike balls, woods, irons, wedges, shoes, gloves, and clothes. Robert Allenby doesn't say he plays a Srixon driver, he wears a Srixon hat, plays Srixon balls, fairway woods, irons, and wedges. Should every guy with a hat make sure that

every club in his bag is of the same brand? That's just juvenile delusion. Golf companies are much more honest than most, think about other brands? When you go to the store, what if you broke every brand down? What if you merely broke down the brands of pet food? What would you find? Science Diet -> Colgate-Palmolive Alpo, Purina -> Nestlè Pedigree, Whiskas -> Mars Eukanuba & Iams -> Procter & Gamble Meow Mix, Kibbles & Bits -> Del Monte Do you have any clue how many products are made by single companies? Here's a list of brands made by Procter and gamble. I would bet you use at least 5 of them:
None

Do you have any clue how many products are made by

Everything I use is made by Kirkland.

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

I just play what is comfortable with me. Not what someone else plays or supposedly plays..

Cleveland Launcher Driver
Taylormade r7 3 wood
Odyssey White Steel
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland wedges

Note: This thread is 5167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!