IGNORED

"24% of Golf Clubs Sold on EBAY are Fakes"

kfowler
Note: This thread is 5154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was reading one of my local store's spring mag this morning and saw an interesting quote. The survey found that 24% of all clubs sold on eBay are fakes.

I find that really hard to believe. I know counterfeits are a big issue but I don't believe it's that high on eBay. I've bought and sold clubs on eBay and never had an issue. Then again I wasn't really buying clubs that were likely to be fakes. For instance if someone's going to make a fake, they're going to make a the hottest TaylorMade driver, not a five year old hybrid.

What do you think? Is the problem really 24%?

Here's the link to my local shop with the full article. Page 12.

Carl's Golfland

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I doubt that's true, but if you buy from someone with a lot of positive feedback or one of the major sellers you'll be safe anyway.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would guess that the fake percentage is quite a bit higher than 24% on Callaway and Taylormade products sold on Ebay....... I've heard these brands make up the most fakes seen on Ebay.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

I agree with one of the previous statements. Buying from one of the more reputable sellers with positive feedback greatly reduces your chances of being a victim on Ebay. I've purchased many a club. Nickent, Cleveland, even a few Scottie's. No issues as of yet. The only issue I've had is a 58 degree wedge I purchased was acutally bent to56 degrees. I ended up having it bent to 60 anyway. But it was an authentic club.
Tools of the trade: Red=Pics
2.0 Push Cart
V14 Club Count Cart Bag
Driver - Nike SQ Dymo 2 HL w/Cleveland Headcover
Fairway Wood - Hibore XLS 5 WoodHybrids - Hibore 3,4,5Irons - CG Gold 6-PWWedges - CG14 52 & 60 CG15 - 56 Degree Custom Squareback 1

are made up or completely wrong. Joking of course, but you get my point.

I doubt that 24% number. It sounds like a store-front retailer having a tough time competing against the new and used on-line market and trying to use some scare tactics to get you to buy from them.

I buy all my clubs on-line. You have to have your radar up; things like great feedback, a fair return policy, and such are what I look for.

Whoever came up with the saying, "A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work", is a moron.

This sounds like the kind of reporting we see in Politics so often. You need to be able to ask questions to find out what the writer intends to portray as a "Fake". I'll bet they broadened the meaning to include any club that is made to look similar to another manufacturers product. When you understand that, the 24% number is probably very accurate. But the whole story is that thousands of people seek out non name brand knock offs and that is what they want. The so called fakes satisfy a market demand. The real problem of someone misrepresenting their product is nowhere near 24% or else it would be evident in negative ratings of thousands of eBay sellers.

This reminds me of the case a few years back when it was reported that thousands of kids across the US were dying of gunshot wounds. It was proven true but only after discovering that the statistics included drug dealers and gang members up to age 25.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

I always have checked feedback on sellers and have never bought anything from anyone lower than a 98% rating and try to make sure that they have been on there and selling for quite sometime, so I guess that go along the lines of finding the reputable sellers unless they are certified dealers for whatever product I am buying i.e. Taylormade, Callaway and such.
If you always do what you've always done....You'll always be where you are right now..
Driver: C830.2 HOF Taiwan Proto
3 wood: Versus VS 1 Proforce V2
7 wood: DCT Fujikura Motore F1
3-pw: Nakashima NX-1 Project X 6.5 53*: ...

I'd like to see statistics for this. Ultimately, how much work you put into buying from eBay will determine your chances of buying counterfeit equipment. Reputable sellers, loads of positive ratings, reasonable prices. Those people buying clubs $200 lower than everyone else is selling them at has to accept the risk.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Well, from my perspective a retailer like Carl's (which I am familiar with and have visited) is going to knock on eBay to get you to purchase from them. It's one of those articles that I take with a grain of salt. Personally I have only purchased from eBay a couple of times since its inception.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I would say 24% of the 3 or 4 major brands sold on ebay are fake. Callawy, Taylormade, Ping, Titleist. I buy some stuff on ebay but I stay current on the favorites of the counterfeiters.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

I only buy used stuff from individual sellers on ebay. I try to stay away from the "ebay chains" But overall, youre probably safe if you buy used and the seller has a paypal account.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I don't have a lot of truck with eBay, but that sounds high to me too.

I never buy any new golf equipment online. I prefer to support my local merchants. I like to put my hands on something before I buy, and if I do that at a local shop, then I'm not going to turn around and insult the shopkeeper by buying the same thing online. Just my preference. Unlike so many golfers, I don't change out my golf gear like I change my underwear.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

An ebay product has to have a ring of truth to it, I have bought several new 6 irons, Six irons are demo irons so there are lots of them available. I would never buy a new set on ebay as I would question why it is for sale in the first place. My spin milled 60 was from an individual, I have bought half a dozen used putters, it has all turned out fine. I am waiting on some headcovers that may turn out poorly but I think it is a case of a dingbat trying to do business rather than an evil cunning plan.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

I never buy any new golf equipment online. I prefer to support my local merchants. I like to put my hands on something before I buy, and if I do that at a local shop, then I'm not going to turn around and insult the shopkeeper by buying the same thing online.

That's about been my experience. All of my new gear has come from local shops. I've bought several used hybrids and wedges off eBay without issue. I seriously considered buying my new irons off eBay but ultimately decided to buy local. The time spent doing the fitting was worth the extra cost.

In the end, I need my local shops to stay open. If they were to close, I'd be left with Dick's or Golfsmith. YUCK!

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

FYI......For those of you looking to buy Cleveland CG15 wedges, I recently purchased a 52, 56 and a 60 in the Black Pearl finish on Ebay. When the clubs arrived, I noticed that the step pattern on the Traction Wedge Flex shafts had only EIGHT steps below the grip. I think the clubs were counterfeits. I checked a number of Cleveland Traction Wedge Flex shafts at a local authorized dealer and they all had TEN steps below the grip. I returned the three clubs to the seller and got a full refund. Other than the step pattern, the clubs seemed perfect. After my experience, I recommend you pay close attention to the step pattern and only buy from a reputable dealer.

I would almost agree with it... hell... I know of several people on this forum that purchased fake mizunos on ebay. They just havent figured it out yet. I cant remeber the thread, but it was the MP57's for $400. Sure the guy had 100% feedback but he never returned emails, the phone number on file with ebay was fake and he had a "no return" policy. If that doesnt scream fake, I dont know what would.

Yet, everyone was lauding that they just purchased a set.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Note: This thread is 5154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!