IGNORED

Tiger Woods News Conference Friday

jubess
Note: This thread is 5043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I believe it was sincere only because he is in and returning to therapy. Otherwise I would not believe it. Not sure why that changes it for me. But it does. I have to say that was a man that is in no way shape or form ready to return to the tour. (also was not mentally ready for a sparing press conference) I am pretty blown away actually.

I think he is really attacking his issues and it is going to take a lot of time before he can trust himself not to go back to his old ways. Even then he will have to keep the therapy ongoing to some extent. The temptation is just to big. (he does not have to do this, he could kiss off the marriage and honor part and just be a single guy, single but I suspect lonely deep down)

I think this is really taming a Tiger. I will be interested to see what Tiger makes it out the other side. Specifically on the course. Part of that fire and drive, that rip your throat out mentality in a lot of ways breeds his behavior off the course. How much they tone that all down again makes me wonder how it will end up effecting his game. (will we see the fist pumping ultra intense Tiger or some Zin Master)

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-- Tiger described his behavior as "irresponsible and selfish."

Yes, it was remarkable to me that he came out and said those things, and in a manner that was at least on its face believable. I give him credit for that, he manned up to what he has done - at least verbally on this occasion. I liked his reference to Elin, that she was looking for behaviors going forward and that words don't mean much to her now (something to that effect .....). Very good, she is getting through to him it seems. Think about how hard that must have been to say ....

OK so my personal "Weasel Detector" was set to maximum gain (high false postive rate, lots of static .....) and yet I hardly detected any weaseling at all. In other words, Tiger Woods did not make excuses, or attempt to deflect blame, or otherwise use smoke and mirrors. He protected his family as he should have done - very nice - but he did not really try to protect himself. Remarkable. As a start to his personal rehabilitation, it was good - better than I had expected I will say. At first I didn't like him reading from a script but heck noone, except an accomplished actor who knows how to prepare for such a "performance", could have done that well without reading - remembered to make the points etc etc. I thought he did show an appropriate amount of emotion/intensity, without overdoing it. Call me naive, call me a sucker ..... but IMO it was a good start. I also now think that this was a reasonable initial format, i.e. no questions from the press etc. There will be plenty of time for that in the coming weeks/months but he needed the time to say what he wanted to say. The whole entitlement business, it's exactly what I was seeing and was perhaps the most significant statement of all this morning. Amazing to hear a sportsman, any person in his place in society, admit to this so candidly and so credibly. For all my criticisms of the man on this forum, I wish him well in the long run and perhaps he really can turn his personal life around for the sake of his family. There is reason to hope so IMO. How much of this statement was his own work (the wording, the concepts, the verbal expression of feeling), I dunno. But I have to say it was plausible, and that's coming from a deep skeptic. Time will tell - as he said himself more than once. I am one of those who admired TW very much as a person as well as a golfer, even though I didn't know much about the former. He seemed candid in interviews about the day's golf and reasonably generous to his competitors etc etc. Of course I was projecting from one area to the other to some extent, can't be helped really. People like me are looking for that other Tiger Woods to apply himself to his personal and business life. No, he doesn't owe me a thing in a sense but I'd like to be able to admire him again other than just as a golfer. There is hope.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Sex addiction or any other form of addiction drugs, alcohol etc, is a sign of a weak person. I see it all the time, people saying they cant quit smoking even though they know its one of the worst things they can to to themselves, i just dont understand how people can allow a drug to control them. Tiger is only strong on the course, outside of it, away from his people, he doesnt know how to act, very insecure person. I still would like to see him play as he's the best player ever and dont wish him harm or ill will in any way but it will take years to rebuild an image that he never really had, we all just assumed he was a great person, he was just a great golfer. We want to give him a pass for his behavior, no thats not how it works, just because a lot of people cheat doesnt make it ok, he took advantage of his fame and now he will never be perceived the same.

Amazing how much you can analyse the mind of Tiger from his actions, or rather, from the actions the media have told us he did.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with this. Sex addiction (or call it something else if the word "addiction" bothers you) is a real problem for some people. The difference between regular guys like you and me and people that struggle with this problem is that we all fantasize about the same stuff, but we, the regular guys, are able to make a decision to not act on those thoughts, whereas someone who struggles with sex addiction can't say no regardless of the consequences to themselves or the people they love. Much like with any addict (drug, alcohol, gambling, etc.) it takes getting caught and hitting rock bottom before healing can begin because these people are in denial.

Funny how this "addiction" only appears to show up in individuals with fame, power, money, etc.........

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Funny how this "addiction" only appears to show up in individuals with fame, power, money, etc.........

Exactly. Find me average middle aged guy workin a 9 to 5 with a sex addiction and multiple mistresses and ill show you a orange elephant.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Exactly. Find me average middle aged guy workin a 9 to 5 with a sex addiction and multiple mistresses and ill show you a orange elephant.

Why would it show up? People who are not famous, wealthy, and have power with some subjective meaning aren't under a microscope, are they?

To me, this was a new beginning for Tiger. As he stated, only time will judge how he's handling his demons.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Why would it show up? People who are not famous, wealthy, and have power with some relative meaning aren't under a microscope, are they?

Thats true too. But if tiger woods was your normal everyday guy, i doubt he is in a clinic for sex addition right now. Unless he got ordered by a court to one because he keeps getting caught with hookers or something...

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Much like with any addict (drug, alcohol, gambling, etc.) it takes getting caught and hitting rock bottom before healing can begin because these people are in denial.

And unfortunately some people never heal or get the proper treatment they need. He is fortunate that he has the ability to pay for all the treatment he needs, while others never do and up up with short lives because their insurance doesn't believe that mental illness is an illness.

Rob Tyska

At first while watching this I was thinking what a phony he is. And he has been. But after taking it all in I think there is definitely some remorse and the biggest thing I heard him say in response to the public was he apologized to parents for being a disappointment as a role model to their children. I thought that needed to be said and he said it. Good for him. His returning to rehab, in my book, is huge. Shows definite remorse. Or it could show that he doesn't want to lose a half a billion dollars. I actually believe it's the former.

I've always been in awe of Tiger and marvel at what he does with a golf ball. Like others, my main criticism on the course is the club throwing, cussing, etc. It kind of makes sense now. Not only did he have all the pressures of winning and being Tiger Woods in general, he also had all the secret stuff as well.

His mental toughness has always been one of his greatest attributes and is probably all that kept him from snapping. Now, with a "freer" conscious, I would expect that to be even stronger making him even tougher to beat.

His mental toughness has always been one of his greatest attributes and is probably all that kept him from snapping. Now, with a "freer" conscious, I would expect that to be even stronger making him even tougher to beat.

He could also come back with a different attitude and perspective and realize other things are more important and not have the same drive to win he had before.

Rob Tyska

With today's conference, he may feel free to come back whenever he decide to. I like to see him better behaving on the course and winning more majors.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

His apology speech was well written. His delivery---- a little sing/songy iambic pentameter as if he was reading Shakespeare verse.

He was out of his mind if he thought he could keep those indiscretions a secret. Sure, he's only human and anyone with that kind of power and wealth probably has more temptation than most. Too bad Tiger hasn't shown much openness or humility in the past, it would be easier to feel sympathy for him.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Well said doctorfro, let's hope people like you and me aren't going to get the big disappointment again ....

Think about it tho', this is going to be a huge challenge for him on many levels if he really is serious about reform. He seems to buy into that, and perhaps this is why he won't commit to returning to pro golf on a certain date. He has other priorities right now, as he should. Another good sign IMO but you know the old saying - "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, .....".

RemyM: a very interesting point.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I know some of these middle aged types. Serial cheaters. Ad power, wealth and fame to the pot and you have women willing to do anything to be with you. Some women are turned on by power, wealth and fame. Some men just can't resist the temptation.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Can't say no? So if a 300 pound woman with a beard asks him for sex he's going to do it? I obviously am going overboard with that question but I'm sure you get the point here. To me the person is unable, or unwilling more likely, to control a compulsion.

Yeah, can't say no. I'm not sure how that's different from being unable to control a compulsion?

Are you kidding me? You mean, YOU only see it with famous or powerful people.

RemyM
Re: Tiger Woods News Conference Friday

Originally Posted by mship

He could also come back with a different attitude and perspective and realize other things are more important and not have the same drive to win he had before.

Good point, Remy. There is that possibility too but I think he comes back more "at peace." No more, or at least less, club throwing, etc.

Note: This thread is 5043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!