IGNORED

Putting Routine

Birdie
Note: This thread is 6443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just thoguht I would start a new thread to allow people to talk about their putting routine and share with others how they go about reading the line of a putt and lining up their ball if they use a logo or line. :)
In My Bag

Driver: Titlesit 905T (10.5 dgreees) - Aldila NV65 Reg Flex Shaft (Green)
3-Wood: Mizuno F50 (15 degrees) - Aldila NV65 Red Flex Shaft (Pink)
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Duel (19 degrees/3iron)Irons: Nike Pro Combo 4-PWSand Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design SM58.08Gap Wedge:Titleist Vokey Design...

Set the bag down on the opposite side of the ball to the hole, grab the towel and putter, take the putter cover off, squat down look at the angle/slope of the putt, walk to mark the ball, clean the ball with towel, remark ball while still leaving marker there droping the towel to the left side of the ball (behind my stance), walking behind the marker squat to look at line from behind the ball, readjust ball and pick up marker, relook at the line, walk to address the ball, putter behind the ball with right high on putter, right foot, left foot, left hand moves to left hand low for cross-hand grip) while looking at the line of put, look back at the ball slowing looking at the line from the hole to the ball than back to the hole than quickley back to the ball and putt.

I have found for me that no practice putting strokes have improved my putting.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I think putting routines are extremely important. I know because I didn't used to have one. The routine is crucial because if you stick to it, you are less likely to have the "gremlins" creep into your head. Your focus is on the routine, and pulling the trigger is just part of it. There's a considerable amount of research to support the idea that a routine improves performance.

My routine is simple, and I confess I stole if from a movie (The Greatest Game Ever). The routine is: Read it, Roll it, Hole it. Read it = I get an idea of the line, then align the line of my ball with this line. Roll it = Get in the stance and take two practice swings at the correct speed. Hole it = Get over the putt, and align the putter with the line on the ball. I don't look at the hole, all I think is speed. I take a breath, let it out, and pull the trigger. I don't lift my head till the putter has stopped. I actually do a drill now with 6 footers where I listen to see if I made the putt. That's fun drill. I made 9 in a row in my last session. Of course the practice green is always different since you have a real good idea what the putt will do and you may not on the course.

I like this routine for a couple of reasons. First it's very simple. Second, I like the self-statements. It's good to have positive thoughts over a putt. Again it keeps the gremlins at bay. Third, well I just think it sounds cool!

Robert Reid

In the bag:

Driver Cobra M/F Speed3 Cleveland LauncherCleveland Halo 2i Nike CPR 23 degree5-PW Mizuno MX 23 (graphite shafts)56 degree SW Mizuno MT

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried to get my buddies to follow ANY routine! They can't putt to save a life or win money from me. It's almost painful to watch 35+ different routines over 18 holes.
I've used the same one for a loooooong time. Looking at the hole, find a line, line up the secondary logo(small print on side) to that line, three practice strokes perpendicular to the line. Approach the ball, find a spot within my peripheral vision on that line, three and ONLY 3 relaxed practice strokes.(now this is the strange part) Address the ball, regrip the putter an inch further down the shaft, a quick glance at the hole and pull the trigger. It works for me because it IS a routine that I'm comfortable with. Not excessively long, nor too quick.

While walking up to the hole, I begin looking for the fall line on the green, the place where water would naturally flow off in a rainstorm. I mark the ball, clean it, and squat down about 6 ft behind my mark. I pick a spot in line with where I want the ball to start. This spot could be anywhere from two ft in front of the ball all the way to the hole. I line up the small logo on that line. I stand 6 or 8 ft behind the ball and check the line on the ball to insure I am comfortable with the direction I am going to start the putt. I address the ball, standing back far enough to the side that I can make two practice strokes to gauge the speed. I move in setting the putter down behind the ball and regrip the putter to insure I don't drag it on the turf when I make the stroke. I look at the hole, once, twice, three times.....and pull the trigger.

Seems long, but the whole routine is over in 20 seconds tops.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

While im waiting for others to putt I start reading the green. I watched Pat Hurst during the womens U.S Open do the plumbar (I dont know if I spelled that right) while she is standing behind the ball. That gives me an idea of which way the putt is going to go. This has really helped me alot. Then I squat behind the ball to give myself a line. I place my ball down with the side logo facing the target. Take two practice strokes. Stand over the ball, look at my line one more time and fire. Thats it.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Well what i do. Is to go on my Hands and knees to have the perfect look at the green ( ya like that golfer they call spiderman ) then line up my putter to where i want to aim. Hit the ball with the right weight and hope to god

( Looks Stupid But Works )

Since God helps those who help themselves: I mark the position of the ball, clean the ball, plumb the marker, replace the ball with the name of the ball lined up in the direction I wish the ball to travel, place the putter head in alignment with the name of the ball print, then line up and position my feet, take two practice swings, then putt and pray.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Well what i do. Is to go on my Hands and knees to have the perfect look at the green ( ya like that golfer they call spiderman

Camillo Villegas - I wish I could still get down like that, but if I did get down there, it would probably take several people to get me back up...

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Does anyone find that praying helps? BTW who or what are you praying to?

Robert Reid

In the bag:

Driver Cobra M/F Speed3 Cleveland LauncherCleveland Halo 2i Nike CPR 23 degree5-PW Mizuno MX 23 (graphite shafts)56 degree SW Mizuno MT

Well, if you read my previous post in this thread, you would know I ain't praying to Ruby Begonia.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

walking around the hole etc. is not the part of the pre-shot routine for me... I do it sometimes but only if I'm unsure of the initial "behind the ball" read. I'm a strong believer in "confidence is 1/2 of the success" and try not to read too much into each putt.
Pre-shot routine starts for me once I've placed the ball with logo (or the mini-logo) lined up on the intended line of the putt. 1 practice swing looking down, 2 practice swings looking at the hole, step up, look down, look at the hole - putt.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

walking around the hole etc. is not the part of the pre-shot routine for me... I do it sometimes but only if I'm unsure of the initial "behind the ball" read. I'm a strong believer in "confidence is 1/2 of the success" and try not to read too much into each putt.

I agree Raf walking around the hole is not part of a pre-shot rountine once I thought about it. I like the way your pre-shot goes, I will give it try when I'm at the course putting tomorrow.

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

• Administrator
I agree Raf walking around the hole is not part of a pre-shot rountine once I thought about it. I like the way your pre-shot goes, I will give it try when I'm at the course putting tomorrow.

My putting pre-shot routine is as follows. Mark and clean the ball. Fix 2-3 ballmarks. Wait for everyone else to pitch on or putt first, while I line up my putt by crouching behind the ball only. Prior to that I'd have already looked at general green features while approaching the green. If it's a really tough putt, I'll go inspect other parts of the putt.

Put the ball down on the line. If I'm not sure, leave the ball and coin and step back to check if it's on the line. Adjust as necessary. Pick up the coin, and then facing and looking at the hole behind the ball, take several continuous practice strokes until I feel the speed. Step up to near the ball, look at the hole, repeat strokes. Step into the ball. Be very precise about putter alignment. Rotate head to look at the hole. Snap mental picture. Look back at ball and if alignment hasn't changed, GO immediately. Otherwise, repeat alignment/look at hole/go process again. I like how Brad Faxon (etc.) say you should "react" to the putt. Hit it the speed your body wants to hit it for the line you've chosen. Once I get my line set up, I'm not thinking about anything except that picture in my mind (stolen from Tiger).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!