IGNORED

MP 57 for a low 80's player

Note: This thread is 5169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Would MP 57 be too much club for a low 80's player? (as in not forgiving enough) I can get a good deal on a new set of MP57's in my specs but am wondering if it is too much club for me. I dont have an official handicap but my iron play is pretty solid and improving. Have broken 80 a few times but am usually mid to low 80's

2009 Mizuno brochure says MP-57 is designed for 0 to 10 HDCP players. Also, this was the first MP iron with a full cavity back, + "cutmuscle design." Says long-i heads help ball up, and short-i heads keep ball down.

Normal shafts: TT DG S300 and R300 shafts would keep ball down a little; PX 5.5 need to check flavors. Proper shafts would be really critical in whether they worked for you.

Also, do you have time to work on your game a little?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only way to know is to hit some demos on the range. I play them, and when others (8-14 hcp) have hit mine, they thought they felt good. Don't expect them to play longer than your current clubs, though. They certainly feel great when you catch it just right, but you'll know it you don't.

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

If you hit them well, go for it. They have great feel and are pretty forgiving, so I don't see why not.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Thanks for the feedback guys, i have hit them at a demo day (off grass) and i hit them very well, im not concerned if i loose distance, im after distance control and accuracy. I agree on the shafts being fit i have no idea whats in my current clevelands but they dont feel anywhere near as good as any other club ive demoed (with nippon PX etc...) Id be happy to reshaft them in the future if need be. I think i might just go for it, only one way to find out and thats play them on the course for a few months.

My handicap was well above where yours is now when I got my -57s, and I don't regret it one bit. When I hit the ball well, I hit it very well. When I don't, I still hit it decently, and the club lets me know that I haven't hit it well. I'm even debating replacing part of the lower end of my bag with -67s, and I'm no better a player than you are.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

At your current skill level, it's probably a bit too much club. You'd probably be better off with something more forgiving. But if the deal is too good to pass up, go for it, and if it doesn't work out - the resale is still quite good.

If you have time and desire to commit to getting better - the clubs will be PERFECT.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

If you like em, buy em..... too much club is a 20+ handicap playing Titleist 670 MB's.... A low 80's shooter playing MP57's doesnt sound so ridiculous to me.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

Stating what irons are best based on handicap can be decieving simply because you can be a great ballstriker but have a horrible short game, resulting in a 10 handicap. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that you should base your club decision on your ability in that part of your game, not on your overall handicap.

Also, you have to remember that someone that shoots in the low 80's is probably around a 5-8ish handicap (depending on slope and course rating) which is in the middle of the range that Mizuno says should use these irons.

I am prettty similar to you. I tried the mp 60s and they were too much for me. I just got punished for mishits. I only carried them for a year. I am not the strongest iron player so they might work for you.

Brian

I treally depends where you are dropping your strokes off-par. If you shoot 10 over, what club is responsible for those strokes? For me, it's the driver and the chipping wedge. My iron play is steady so even at a 20.5 index I am happy with the MP57s and they perform well for me. From the sounds of it, you'd be fine with them.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I think you will be ok with the 57's but if you can find some mx 23's those are a great lead into the mizuno line
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Note: This thread is 5169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!