IGNORED

Playing with a golf cart

Gareth
Note: This thread is 5128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I prefer to walk, but I do use a cart occasionally, particularly when my daughter wants to go with. She has Downs Syndrome and enjoys driving me around. I Love it ... she tells me "Good Shot" no matter how I hit it, and every time I reach for the driver she says "Go Big Dog!"

That sounds to me like really great reason to take a cart.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use cart if the club demands everyone to use one, but I prefer to walk. Walking is an important part of golf, and I seem to enjoy the round more. The course that I am a member of is pretty flat and walker friendly.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5* , Aldila RIP’d stiff shaft (60g).

Ping G10 15* Hybrid
Callaway Heavan Wood 19* Hybrid
Putter: T-Line XXIV Tommy Armour

Ping i/3 Irons green dot
Cleveland 60* Lob wedge, Ping 56* Sand wedge, Nike SV Tour Black Satin 52* wedge, Ping 48* wedge.

Ball: TaylorMade

I prefer to walk, but I do use a cart occasionally, particularly when my daughter wants to go with. She has Downs Syndrome and enjoys driving me around. I Love it ... she tells me "Good Shot" no matter how I hit it, and every time I reach for the driver she says "Go Big Dog!"

you da man.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Saturday and Sunday mornings are required cart times for members at my course. Other than that we can walk and frankly, think we should. What kills me is those that take carts on days when the course is wet and it's "cart paths only". You'll spend more time walking from the cart to the ball than if you simply walk the course and walk straight to your ball. The carts at our course are equipped with the GPS which is nice but now that we own a laser rangefinder it's not as much a luxury (except on drizzley, rainy days when the laser doesn't work...but then I don't necessarily like to play on those days). The simple fact that walking is a much healthier option is motivation enough for me but I think it makes you slow down and appreciate the course, the layout, nature, etc. Makes golf more pleasurable overall.

I would love to walk more than I do, but there's a couple issues with that for me.

#1: Just coming back from back surgery, after walking 9 holes I'm physically exhausted and sore even though I use a push cart. I do walk at least 9 holes every Friday though, trying to get back into shape. We have to start somewhere.

#2: I have family obligations on the weekends which require me to play as early in the morning as possible, and my course only allows walking after 2PM on Saturdays and Sundays.

I love walking, and typically play better when I'm walking for the 1st 9 holes, but after that, I'm just too sore and tired to keep going and play anything that resembles golf. I have recently starting forcing myself to play 11 holes walking instead of just 9 to try to build up my endurance.

There is a certain connectedness with the history and beauty of the game that one has while walking down the fairway with friends, sharing a flask and the occasional smoke.

Is speed of play the advantage of power carts, or is it laziness? Do you know what's even faster than playing 18 holes in a cart? Hitting a bucket of range balls and then 20 minutes at the practice green.

Keep in mind that the average Canadian can't even comprehend coming up from the basement in 38 degree (Celcius) 85% humidity weather, let alone golfing, but the longest most painful rounds I've ever played have been cart golf.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I prefer to walk, but haven't done it regularly in years. My league uses carts and I usually only get out for a couple other rounds each month and most courses require carts. No big deal, it doesn't affect my game at all.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

There is a certain connectedness with the history and beauty of the game that one has while

There is no speed avantage to using a cart unless the course is empty. I think fourballers that cart are actually slower than a walking foursome.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I think fourballers that cart are actually slower than a walking foursome.

For "people that golf" (versus "golfers") this is almost always the case. Guy drive up and wait to hit. Then once they hit, both guys jump in the cart and drive to the other ball. This slows things down. As long as guys are willing to grab a club and let the other guy go to his ball, no problems.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

There is no speed avantage to using a cart unless the course is empty. I think fourballers that cart are actually slower than a walking foursome.

As someone who plays many solo rounds, and sits behind foursomes with carts, I would definately agree with you on this one. I think the problem is that people just don't know how to play using a cart. They will all stop at the shortest ball and wait for that guy, and then move up, repeating this 8-12 times per hole. Instead of playing normally, and just going to their ball, maybe dropping the passenger off on the way to hit his.

I do not like riding at all. I play much better walking and I think that comes from being able to burn off some steam if I hot a bad shot. If you ride, you are at your ball before you know it and still peeved which can then snowball.

I find more and more courses around me are making riding mandatory as it is another source of revenue. I am trying to avoid them. But it is getting harder.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

You are wrong, but you're entitled to your opinion. I work at a course as a starter and walking or riding are pretty equal as long as they are

players . The twice a summer hacker is usually slow no matter his method of locomotion, as are any other golfers who are just clueless. Four golfers in 2 carts who know how to use them are going to leave any walkers in the dust, no matter how skilled the walkers are. The only way that the walkers could possibly keep up is by jogging all the way around the course, and even then I doubt that they'd manage it. But there is no point to such a debate because golf is not a race. You don't get credit for finishing first, only for finishing in the fewest strokes. As long as you keep up with the group in front, or if no one is in front of you then you maintain the course's pace of play policy, then relax and enjoy the round. 4 hours to 4.25 hours is a perfectly acceptable pace of play, and you still have the option of letting the racers play through if there is room ahead. If not, they can just sit back there and fume.
As someone who plays many solo rounds, and sits behind foursomes with carts, I would definately agree with you on this one. I think the problem is that people just don't know how to play using a cart.

If that's the case then you play at a course full of idiots. And if you play solo then you will be waiting no matter whether the players in front are walking or riding.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

hi,
To truly enjoy golf I believe in walking the course.
however I use a powered trolley, not because I am old and unfit (but true) and have done so for years simply to conserve my energy for my golf ....
and I can still find time to 'smell the flowers' as I go,
but am totally opposed to carts, or buggies as we Brits say, especially when I see young men in them.
Kevin

• 1 month later...
Four golfers in 2 carts who know how to use them are going to leave any walkers in the dust, no matter how skilled the walkers are.

Literally. When it's dry and dusty, nothing nicer than the carts kicking up clouds of dust to walk through. The gasoline powered jobs are also nice, as they fume up the course when the wind isn't blowing. These days, to paraphrase the old Scot saying, "If there's no traffic noise or smog on the course, there's no golf."

If that's the case then you play at a course full of idiots. And if you play solo then you will be waiting no matter whether the players in front are walking or riding.

First, I don't think you should be allowed on the course as a single unless the course is empty. You should have to pair up with a group that can take a player. And who wants to knock it the hole when nobody's looking!?

Second, all the courses are full of idiots now, primarily because the only reason they are out there is to drink beer and ride around in the carts. The more bad shots the better! And, of course, there are always the people who are just out there to give their kids a ride in the park. When I was a teenager, your job was to carry your father or mother's bag, if you were allowed to be out there with the adults at all. The only way you should be able to get a cart is with a handicapped driver's license or a note from your doctor. They should come equipped with an oxygen mask and defibulator for the use of people who qualify to rent them. Carts are an abomination.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

I really don't understand the debate between walking or riding. I personally enjoy walking when I can (allot of courses don't allow it) but even there are times when I just don't feel like walking. I'm young as in 33 so I have no physical limitations keeping me from walking either. There are some days however when I just feel like relaxing and driving around in my 4 wheel hoverround.

I've been paired with as well as stuck behind walkers and riders who have all been slow and I've had the exact opposite as well. I personally feel that the bigger problem is that courses these days just do not unforced the rules. Marshals look the other way when people are playing slow and even when people break the rules and goof off on the course.

Get rid of the drunk morons and disrespectful jacka**'s walking or riding and I'd be happy.

A golfer with respect for the game and the course is ok in my book no matter how he gets around the course.

I really don't understand the debate between walking or riding.

I pretty much have the same complaint against all forms of motorized entertainment: snowmobiles, ATVs, jet skis, et hoc genus omne.

Get rid of the drunk morons and disrespectful jacka**'s walking or riding and I'd be happy.

The quickest way to do that is to get rid of the carts.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

I typically will ride because thats normally what my brothers who I play with normally do... But I feel like I just drive it, whack it when I do carts... I know when I walk, I concentrate and slow my breathing a lot better... I am playing at Heritage Club in Cincy, Ohio Saturday and we'll be walking. Should be fun!

Note: This thread is 5128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!