IGNORED

250 yards is a respectable carry distance

bunkerputt
Note: This thread is 1830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

swing speed isnt everything. I swing very slow, about 90mph according to the monitor. I can consistently carry to the 250 flag at my driving range, and thats with range balls.

Driver: Taylormade R7
Wood: taylormade burner 3 wood
Hybrids: Jack Nicklaus 3 hybrid
Irons: Taylormade R9 TP 3-pw
Wedges: Taylormade r9 56* & Titliest Vokey 60* Putter: Odyssey WhiteHot XG #7 Ball: Nike one platinum & Bridgestone E6

swing speed isnt everything. I swing very slow, about 90mph according to the monitor. I can consistently carry to the 250 flag at my driving range, and thats with range balls.

Interesting, you should check your driver, or the range balls, cause something is fishy. A 90 mph swing speed with a COR of .83 and a perfectly optimized launch of 15.8° with optimal spin yields a best scenario carry of 200 yards, for an average total distance of 219 yards. So, you're violating the laws of phsyics, are a mile above sea level, or something is not right.

I swing about 110, and the ideal launch angle for me is 13.4°, and the total carry will be 254 yards, for an average distance of 272 yards. This sounds about right for a pure shot for me. For someone who swings 125, a solid shot will carry 291 yards with an average distance of 308 yards, with optimal launch of 10.9° Again, these assume the spin rates are optimal, and there is no wind, on average dry fairways. Dustin Johnson, who swings 124 mph, averages 300.5 yards. Rocco Mediate, who swings 106 mph, averages 265.5. I'd love to have either of their average drives too, not bad considering that nearly every member of this forum can outdrive both of them.

Distance is a result of ball speed and launch trajectory. For me, the optimal launch angle is around 10-15º. High launch angle is a killer for distance.

Average on the PGA Tour:

Swing speed: 112 mph
Launch angle: 11.2º
Carry: 269 yards

Firm fairways and low trajectory easily give them 20-30 yards extra. I don't know my carry distance, but it's OK. I hit it so high however, that I rarely get much roll. 20 yards less carry than the worlds best 125 players is respectable indeed.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Incorrect distance markers at your range, most likely.It's a common thing.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

• Administrator

If that 250 flag is 250 yards, then no, you don't. Minimum of 100 MPH swing speed to do that - absolute minimum.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i'll have to get my swing radar'd again. I absolutely do driver usually 250+ on avg. Certain holes on easier courses around here that are around 265 yards I have drove the green before or landed in the bunker in front of it.

Wedges: Taylormade r9 56* & Titliest Vokey 60* Putter: Odyssey WhiteHot XG #7 Ball: Nike one platinum & Bridgestone E6

i'll have to get my swing radar'd again. I absolutely do driver usually 250+ on avg. Certain holes on easier courses around here that are around 265 yards I have drove the green before or landed in the bunker in front of it.

Nah, you thought that was the distance. The range that I go to moves the tees every day, so the 250 plays from 210 to 265. Most people can't even carry the 250 marker when it's at 210, even with a tailwind.

If that 250 flag is 250 yards, then no, you don't. Minimum of 100 MPH swing speed to do that -

Absolute minimum assuming a dead center hit, optimum launch, and optimum spin . - FTFY, as they say. And Erik is 100% correct. I swing 110, and I don't usually carry 250. I try to go for around 235 carry on a decent strike, maybe more. Dead center hits get it up to like 255 carry, but that's certainly not a reflection of my average, or even my stock drive. I'm happy with a drive of 250 yards total, and thrilled with 280. I have hit one or two 280 at the wrong time though. I had a water hazard at about 275 once, assumed I'd never hit it, and the ball took a hard bounce and rolled in!

played today and gps measured each drive 260+. I have a slow swing speed, use a regular flex shaft.

. A 15 handicap claiming to drive it 280-300, that's just insane, unless he lives on top of a mountain with a strong tailwind.

Or they work on speed, agility, and flexibility every day, for years. You'd be suprised what you can accomplish if you work at your swing and speed every day. Problem is, most 15 HC's dont put the time int heir game to get that fast. You'd be suprised the speed that can be generated from your hips with constant practice. Watch Mickelson swing, you'll see the force he turns his hips with. If you build enough tension in your waist and hips, you can create an explosive swing, and if your tall with long arms, that speed is compounded greatly. Im not saying everyone can do it, but if you work on it an hour a day, every day, like I do, its completely possible to get close. Unfortunately, most people dont have jobs that allow them to work on fitness specificly. That said, I dont know my true handicap, as last season was written off due to horrible injury, and I spent all winter seeing a swing coach 3x/week. I expect to play much better at the start of this season, than I was my last round of last season, where I shot an 88.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Or they work on speed, agility, and flexibility every day, for years. You'd be suprised what you can accomplish if you work at your swing and speed every day. Problem is, most 15 HC's dont put the time int heir game to get that fast. You'd be suprised the speed that can be generated from your hips with constant practice. Watch Mickelson swing, you'll see the force he turns his hips with. If you build enough tension in your waist and hips, you can create an explosive swing, and if your tall with long arms, that speed is compounded greatly.

But in the end, you're talking about a guy with an almost unworldly ability to hit the ball on the center of the clubface. That's the part of the equation everyone is leaving out. You cannot even consider hitting the ball very far if you miss the center of the clubface. You need to be able to deliver that speed into an are the size of a quarter. If someone has that finite amount of control over the club, it's almost certain they have the ability to chip, and putt.

But in the end, you're talking about a guy with an almost unworldly ability to hit the ball on the center of the clubface. That's the part of the equation everyone is leaving out. You cannot even consider hitting the ball very far if you miss the center of the clubface. You need to be able to deliver that speed into an are the size of a quarter. If someone has that finite amount of control over the club, it's almost certain they have the ability to chip, and putt.

Physical ability is definately important. Coordination, stength, and the ability to do what your told are key. But I can tell you that after training all winter, I dont get very many mishits with any of clubs. You have no idea how excited I am for the season to start to see how it translates to the course. Unfortunately, i'll never play hockey again, so golf is my main sport. I put a lot of pressure on myself, and I expect consistency and improvement from myself constantly. That work ethic helps. I dont expect to be a tour pro, but I want to be able to play in local tournies at or near the top consistently, within three years from now. And I will work as hard as it takes to do so, at whatever cost it takes.

I think with that dedication, a person should be able to consistently put out good, straight 250 yard carries repeatably. Thats why pro's are pro's, because they have that dedication. Along with talent of course. But talent doesn't get you far without hard work.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

There's a guy at my club, in his 40's, who plays off 15, and hits it 260+ metres EVERY time. He has at least 240 metres of carry. And he's not all that erratic either, but he does get into trouble every now and then. I could give many more examples of people I've played with who hit it huge on high handicaps.

Big Bertha 454, 10* reg
904F, 15* Dynamic Gold S300
Tour Special, 18* reg
DCI 962, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold R300
X tour wedges, 52* and 56* 8881 putter Pro V1's for the momentBlogging my "Quest for single digits" every week.

played today and gps measured each drive 260+. I have a slow swing speed, use a regular flex shaft.

See, everyone? Physics is wrong. Newton was a nutball, anyway.

Neener.

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

yes outstanding athletes in hockey, baseball or football can generate 120 mph and have the eye hand coordination to match any pro golfer...Tony Romo won't touch a club for months and shoot 75 the first time out..but for the most part golf is a recreational sport played by chubby middle aged dudes who sit at desks or ride in airplanes all week and for that guy to claim 285 is nuts.

See, everyone? Physics is wrong. Newton was a nutball, anyway.

nevermind, went on a launch monitor and SS is 103.

If that 250 flag is 250 yards, then no, you don't. Minimum of 100 MPH swing speed to do that - absolute minimum.

It's ok Erik... most people think that their smash factor is greater than most pro's

DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

This has probably been said since I didn't read all 14 pages of this thread but don't forget that we're talking about the difference between a maximum and and an average. They're very different things.

I've played with many a mid-high handicapper who could absolutely smash the ball if the stars aligned properly and I myself have hit a couple of 300+ yard drives (downhill fairways with good roll, tailwind, etc.). That said, those players (and me) are nowhere near the point where those feats are repeatable time and time again.

I'd hazard a guess that my average 'good drive' is approximately 260 down the middle and I hit those probably 2.5 times out of five. Another 2 out of 5 times I'll pull/hook/slice off the fairway and come to rest approximately 230 from the tee somewhere in play. And once every 10 swings, I'll really screw it up and end up about 210 from the tee or OB. Theoretically, my driving average is probably closer to 220-225, even though my longest is 300+. So when I say that I've hit the ball 300 yards before, I'm not lying - even if I have been hitting 3 off the tee all day!

There's a big difference between being physically capable of hitting the ball 300 yards and being able to have an average drive that long. Most people only think about their average 'good drive' or talk about their personal best. They conveniently forget about those times when they dribbled the ball 10 feet in front of the first tee!

Note: This thread is 1830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!