IGNORED

250 yards is a respectable carry distance

bunkerputt
Note: This thread is 1801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just search through 60 pages of long drive posts for this, *terrible!*

He actually made several threads claiming he was now at 320 or something. Every time though he made his way down to 270 though...

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He actually made several threads claiming he was now at 320 or something. Every time though he made his way down to 270 though...

Obviously it would be much better if we knew carry distance, which brings us back full-circle to the title of this thread. Unfortunately, there's no easy way for a regular individual to test this out without the help of some more sophisticated technology, right?

What info is required to use computer software to calculate potential carry distance? Swing speed + __________??? Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Obviously it would be much better if we knew carry distance, which brings us back full-circle to the title of this thread.

Doesn't it need to be more sophisticated than carrying a hazard (sand or water)? That would require a GPS or laser rangefinder. I know a guy who has one of those.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think we can all agree on one thing - the ball goes further here in Arizona where it can roll and roll and roll. I hit a 2/3 choked down driver shot on a GPS measured 308 yd par 4 today, and when I walked up to the green the ball was sitting on the front edge. There is no way it carried more than 250-255 max, which means it rolled out something like 35-45 yds! I played most my golf for the last year and a half in Western New York, where 95% of the time your carry distance = total distance. So just hit your drives in warm, dry conditions and there will be no further need for internet hyperbole.

I think we can all agree on one thing - the ball goes further here in Arizona where it can roll and roll and roll. I hit a 2/3 choked down driver shot on a GPS measured 308 yd par 4 today, and when I walked up to the green the ball was sitting on the front edge. There is

Balls (baseballs and golfballs) travel farther in more humid air. Ever play a round just before it rains and you fly ever other green? Ever play baseball just before or after a rain delay? I played centre field for years - when it got really humid you had to stand on the warning track.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I know I'm coming way late to this thread, but I would be tickled pink to hit a drive 250 yards. A good one for me is more like 220, and most are closer to 200.

They are, however, right down the middle - almost every time.

My index has dropped from 22.6 to under 15 over the last three months, and it hasn't been because I murder drives. I chip and putt well, because I spend a lot of time practicing chipping and putting.

I don't see golf as being about how big my weenus is, it's about how low I can get my scores.

My .02 cents - your mileage may vary.

A good one for me is more like 220, and most are closer to 200. They are, however, right down the middle - almost every time.

There's less to go wrong when it doesn't go as far. I'd use an iron off every tee but would have to come to grips with how much my woods cost.

There's less to go wrong when it doesn't go as far. I'd use an iron off every tee but would have to come to grips with how much my woods cost.

woods cost? what do you mean?

MB 710 Iron Set 5-PW Blades Steel Shafts,
Vokey Design Spin Milled Wedges 52,56,60
hybore 2iH, 3iH, 5W, Driver XL, Putter
Balls "Pro V1's", " Callaway Warbirds"
Career Low Round: 79

woods cost? what do you mean?

If I didn't use them, then I'd have wasted a lot of money buying them. I try to use every club in the bag at least once per round - if I don't use one for 3 consecutive rounds it goes into the big bag o'spares in the basement.

If I didn't use them, then I'd have wasted a lot of money buying them. I try to use every club in the bag at least once per round - if I don't use one for 3 consecutive rounds it goes into the big bag o'spares in the basement.

really?

I only hit around 9 clubs on a average round. Driver, 3W, 3i, 5i, 6i, 8i, PW, SW, LW.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

really?

Really? You know in advance that you won't have a 4, 7, or 9 iron yardage? You never hit your 5 wood? Why carry it? I see you're also either chipping in or taking gimmes a lot.

Really? You know in advance that you won't have a 4, 7, or 9 iron yardage? You never hit your 5 wood? Why carry it? I see you're also either chipping in or taking gimmes a lot.

I only hit the 4i on a couple of holes if they're into the wind. I don't know why I carry the 5W, I hardly ever hit it.

There's some shots that don't come up on most holes, I'm not sure when I'd need the 9i since I'm not long enough to use it on approaches and I normally lay up on par 5's inside 100m. And sorry I forgot about the most important club in the bag lol. 10 clubs.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I only hit the 4i on a couple of holes if they're into the wind. I don't know why I carry the 5W, I hardly ever hit it.

I recently put away my 5 wood and replaced both my 3 iron and a 5wood with a 3 hybrid. Seems distance wise, it sits somewhere between 5 wood and 3 iron. I haven't really been in a situation where I need to hit the 3 hybrid so I can't say for sure...but seems to work for me :)

As for irons, I find all my irons to be crucial. a 9 iron vs PW is the difference between hitting 120 yards vs 130 yards. I need my short irons! As for putter....throw that away, its overated. I putt with my driver.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I recently put away my 5 wood and replaced both my 3 iron and a 5wood with a 3 hybrid. Seems distance wise, it sits somewhere between 5 wood and 3 iron. I haven't really been in a situation where I need to hit the 3 hybrid so I can't say for sure...but seems to work for me :)

On some courses you probably wouldn't even need to put the headcover on - driver, putt, driver, putt, etc. It actually quite revolutionary.

On some courses you probably wouldn't even need to put the headcover on - driver, putt, driver, putt, etc. It actually quite revolutionary.

yeah man, who needs golf clubs when you get one driver?

WIth my precise distance control, I hit my driver for 110yd par 3's... 600 yard par 5's? no problem, I hit my driver 600 yards so not a problem. Flop shots? I never leave myself in a position where a flop shot is required so no worries with that...BUT if it does occur, i can get the ball up and down with my driver just fine.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Balls (baseballs and golfballs) travel farther in more humid air. Ever play a round just before it rains and you fly ever other green? Ever play baseball just before or after a rain delay? I played centre field for years - when it got really humid you had to stand on the warning track.

That may certainly be the case (makes sense, I had plenty of carry distance in New York)-I was just referring to distance on the ground. My drives back east were often plugged where they landed, here in AZ I have to plan for the possibility of a drive landing on one side of the fairway (on a dogleg) and running through and into the cactus and shrubs on the other side of the fairway. I played a 6900 yd track a few weeks ago that didn't actually play all that long, where 6500-6600 yds could be a real test in Western New York.

I recently got professionally fitted (my one golf upgrade for the last 3 years that I've been golfing; irons are next. 1991 iron technology is kinda falling behind) and got my swing speed and launch angle all figured out. With a brand new driver, absolute sweet spot, crushed drive I've ever had it flew 240 (95-100 SS). Rest were 20-30 yards shorter than that due to inconsistency in hitting that sweet spot.

Course when it came I went back to the driving range where I got fitted, hit the best drive I've ever hit again and hit it about 10 yards farther, but that's topping out again with 5 mph wind at my back. Rest were around the 225 flagstick out there. Still farthest that I normally hit it; with occasional duffs or trees; my "average" would probably be around 195...

Note: This thread is 1801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!