IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Good range session today with the 7 iron. 

Did a lot of make a good backswing, stop at the top, drop hands down to my right pocket. Make a swing by dropping my hands to start, and turn through. Was hitting straight 7 irons to like 125 yards with good contact.

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got to do things a bit better. The feel is more arms down and then right side through instead of dropping the right shoulder down and tilting back. Bad tendency with the driver.  When I finally did things a bit better I hit the center of the clubface instead of bottom two grooves. My only centered strike with the driver was a straight draw, like 15-20 yards of draw. Solid, with good ball flight (launch and spin).

Irons were solid with decent ball flight. Maybe a smidge to much inside to out. Or the clubface is turned down a bit to much. Just a bit to much draw on them. 

Pitching, got to pivot better. I’m bottoming out a bit earlier that I want. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

7 Iron DTL

Driver Practice.... Not sure if I am doing the practice stuff right. 

Is it more, from a3, keeping the right palm up and dropping the back of the hand towards the ground? Those practice swings above felt like I was taking the club down to my right foot. 

Maybe, for the pump and hit drill, I need to drop them more before turning. My turn is just sending my hands out. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Maybe, for the pump and hit drill, I need to drop them more before turning. My turn is just sending my hands out. 

This is what I am trying to feel. Just a slight drop though

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

• Administrator
4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Hmmm. Where have you heard that before? 😄

Body = around
Hands = up

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Might have to take a break and focus on rehabbing my back. Some days it’s fine and others it gives me fits. The lower left of my back just has a nasty pinched nerve. It flares up during my finish or just slightly after impact when I get extension. It’s enough to make it difficult to swing and sometimes painful. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

7 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Might have to take a break and focus on rehabbing my back. Some days it’s fine and others it gives me fits. The lower left of my back just has a nasty pinched nerve. It flares up during my finish or just slightly after impact when I get extension. It’s enough to make it difficult to swing and sometimes painful. 

That's a bummer! Get better soon!

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

I was able to get to a seated position, on a cushion, and after about 5 minutes the muscle relaxed. Then I went for a 1 mile walk, and things feel much better. A very good sign. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played meh today, but I can't be overly mad since a good % of the time, my back just doesn't like to turn good enough right now. Like, I would take a backswing and everything stalls out because my back is just protecting itself or shying away from the pain that can happen if the pinched nerve gets aggravated. All my swings were like 70-80% at best because full speed is a bit scary to right now. 

When I can back at practicing more, it's going to be like 90% backswing length stuff. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Update on the back.

Getting better in terms of pain level, hours of the day I feel pain. Mornings are still the worse for me.

it’s still influencing my golf swing. My lower body does not want to rotate. It feels like I get to A5-A6 and the swing just stalls out as my left hip doesn’t want to bet back left. At least taking a stance doesn’t hurt anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Better today. Back has much better mobility. 

I was focusing on slowing my backswing from A2 to A3 to feel the swing stop shorter. Overall, contact was better. Swing felt better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Full Swing - Im hitting to many heel cuts with the driver. Some are big push heel cuts. It just feels like the club face has no shot at squaring up right now. Probably because the hands are to far behind me and I can’t turn enough to square it up. Still needs a lot of work on how to swing functionally with a shorter backswing, including just how to start the downswing from that shorter swing.

Pitching - pretty bad right now. Just haven’t practiced in forever. It’s a lot of shots off the toe of the wedge. My centered strikes are always very low trajectory for what I want. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Turning doesn’t square the face.

So start there.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok, the feel aint real thing then. I don't feel my hands much in the downswing. More so in transition because I am focusing on the arms stuff, but once the arms come down, I feel much more all turn and the club head just flings out at the ball. I don't actually think about swinging out at the ball, or flinging the club out at the ball. To me, how the clubhead comes through the ball feels very passive. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Ok, the feel aint real thing then. I don't feel my hands much in the downswing. More so in transition because I am focusing on the arms stuff, but once the arms come down, I feel much more all turn and the club head just flings out at the ball. I don't actually think about swinging out at the ball, or flinging the club out at the ball. To me, how the clubhead comes through the ball feels very passive. 

So maybe it needs to feel more active. Like, do something to close the face.

Yay, was able to get to the range today! 

1. Half of the bucket (20 balls or so), worked on top of the swing work. Taking club back to A3.5, pausing, then while looking at the ball extending the right elbow without turning, then extending the elbow while turning a bit. After like 4-5 reps, I would paus it at A3.5, and try to extend my right elbow as I hit the ball like 100 yards or so. 
  2. Quarter of the bucket, worked on some lower body movement from A4 to A6. Just trying to stay down a bit more as my arms get more around me (right elbow extending). Taking the club to A3.5, pausing, shift pressure under left foot as I bring the hands/arms down by extending right elbow. When I was looking at my left knee, from A4 to A6, as I bring my arms down, my left knee rotates back overtop my left foot, and my knees stay flexed at A6. From A6, I would make a small pump and hit shots like 60 yards or so by bringing my right side through. This got me back to getting my right side through better. 
  3. Quarter of a bucket making swings were I focus on manipulating the club path and face a bit. I would think, "lets hit a straight draw/hook". I would try to see what feel would make it do that. If I didn't hit it how I wanted on one shot, I would try to make some slow practice swings through impact to get a better feel and try to see if those feels worked for the next shot. Turns out, I am halfway decent at making the correct change on the next shot. Example, when trying to hit a straight draw/hook I hit a low pull cut. I figured as I closed the face down, I brought the club path left. So, I did a few slow swings from A6 to A7, closing the face but also swinging out. On the next shot I hit a straight hook. After hitting a leftward shot, I would flip to trying to hit a big cut. Also, I really focused on making the same turn through the ball. I really had to focus on manipulating the club with my hands and arms. 

To curve left, more of a left hand forward revving feel. It feels like I start revving the left hand over from like A5 through impact. 
    To curve right, more of right palm staying up more longer. It feels like I am delaying the crap out of the club turning over. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I need to check the video tomorrow at the range to see why I was topping shots tonight. Like my three wood and hybrid off the tee. My hunch is I’m not getting my right side through good enough. The really solid shots happen when it feels like my right side continues forward through the impact into the finishing. The bad shots I do not feel that. I feel like I just start extending super early in the downswing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range and topping the ball went away. Maybe just a strange day. Who knows. 

I was working on trying to pause the swing at A4 for like a second. My thought process was, if I pause it, I can then feel the club better to feel my arms doing what I want to better. I am pretty aggressive in transition.  

i just spent this range session making a backswing to A4, pause, make a few slow downswing working on extending right elbow, and then hit. I still don’t feel the club or arms well enough to pick this up at speed yet. Like, it is like I lose feel of the arms and hands from A4 to A5. Kind of why I want to pause the swing at A4, to stop my normal transition timing where I just yank on the club. Still work to do.

Here is a swing where I feel a pause at A4. Like, I definitely feel a pause. It doesn’t seem like it on video, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag